U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

31 posts, read 63,058 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Will be moving to Durham from Philadelphia this summer to attend law school at UNC. I'm learning that apparently finding parking near UNC campus is close to impossible. So, I've been investigating this "Park & Ride" option. From people's experience, how quickly do these parking lots fill up on a given morning? I'm coming from south of Durham (near Hope Valley Country Club) and assuming the Southpoint Mall Park & Ride would be the most "convenient". A bit worried that I'll pull into the lot on the day of an exam or something only to find the lot completely full, miss my exam, and ultimately flunk out of school. Is my concern valid?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Choosing to live near Durham rather than Chapel Hill as I will be moving in with my soon-to-be wife who currently lives/works in the Durham area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM

524 posts, read 1,100,438 times
The "Park and Ride" at Southpoint is actually part of the mall's parking lot, and I used to use it a few times a week to commute to and from UNC. It's on the far west side of the mall, and I've never seen it even close to full anytime during school hours. The only time that part of the lot fills up is on the weekends around Christmas.

Of course, depending where you end up living, you may be close enough to a Triangle Transit route that you may not even need the park and ride. But if you do use it, you'll really never have to worry about finding a space.

Welcome to the Triangle!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,054,871 times
I agree with lb - the Park and Ride at Southpoint has one of the biggest lots out of all of the PnRs in the area because it's the mall parking lot so it doesn't fill up as fast and unlike the American Tobacco deck, doesn't require a gate card and deposit (and FWIW, the AT is currently not accepting new parkers anyway). So you should be fine parking at Southpoint.

If you haven't already, it's a good idea to check out the Triangle-wide public transit site GoTriangle for information on if you can catch the Southpoint buses (DATA 7 or TTA 800) at some other point along the way. Or you can use the trip planner to see if there's another bus you can catch without using the PnR.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM

31 posts, read 63,058 times
thanks guys for the helpful info. i must say that the people i've interacted with from the triangle area are some of the friendliest people i've met to date... at least definitely more friendly than people from the "city of brotherly love"!

anyway, do you guys (or anyone else on here) know anything about the commuters alternative program? more specifically, can anyone sign up for the program and how exactly does one go about signing up? i went to this webpage (UNC Chapel Hill Police) and it's helpful in regards to informing me about the program, but i'm still a bit confused as to how exactly i go about signing up for it. i read somewhere that if i sign up for CAP i can ride the triangle transit for free.

thanks.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandoe123 View Post
anyway, do you guys (or anyone else on here) know anything about the commuters alternative program? more specifically, can anyone sign up for the program and how exactly does one go about signing up? i went to this webpage (UNC Chapel Hill Police) and it's helpful in regards to informing me about the program, but i'm still a bit confused as to how exactly i go about signing up for it. i read somewhere that if i sign up for CAP i can ride the triangle transit for free.
thanks.
The UNC Parking Services website is one of the most confusing I've ever seen! They don't make it obvious at all.

Registration for CAP for the 2012/2013 year hasn't opened yet. When it does, the link at the top of that webpage will indicate it (it says 2011/2012 right now) and will take you to the registration system. As I recall, CAP registration usually opens during the summer, so just keep checking that page. Any student or employee can sign up for CAP.

When you do register, you can select the Triangle Transit option and a bus pass will be mailed to you. You can ride any Triangle Transit or DATA bus for free with that pass.

Last edited by lb27608; 04-13-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM

919 posts, read 2,031,081 times
Not exactly lb, you need to live a certain distance (I think it is 1 or 2 miles) from the old well to register for CAP. Or, at least, that was the rule in 2008.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 PM

234 posts, read 719,947 times
Since the OP had posted asking about a commute from Durham to UNC I would guess they would be well over the one or two mile mark, so why would this be a concern?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Not exactly lb, you need to live a certain distance (I think it is 1 or 2 miles) from the old well to register for CAP. Or, at least, that was the rule in 2008.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Not anymore. All students who live off-campus are eligible for CAP since it includes biking, walking, and transit as modes of commuting. There used to be a distance requirement (measured from the Bell Tower?) for students who wanted a commuter parking permit, and that may still be in place. I haven't applied for a parking permit in years, though, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited by lb27608; 04-13-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added detail

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM

919 posts, read 2,031,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
Since the OP had posted asking about a commute from Durham to UNC I would guess they would be well over the one or two mile mark, so why would this be a concern?

John
Not for the OP, but for anyone else reading this thread or searching for it in the future.....

But as lb stated, it looks like they took that requirement away.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:41 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,596,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
The only time that part of the lot fills up is on the weekends around Christmas.
I live near Southpoint and can confirm what lb has said is correct. And on the weekends around Christmas the far west side of the mall doesn't fill up until about noon. So even if you had to head over to UNC on the holiday weekends, you'd be fine if you left prior to noonish.

Welcome to NC. And congrats on your acceptance to UNC Law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary