Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 945 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in our mid-60's living at Lake Gaston (90 minutes from the grankids in N. Ral.),and are thinking about moving somewhere within 15-30 minutes of the gkids.Want to buy a home less than 10 years old,for $250,000-$350,000,5 minutes to major stores,in a "neighborhood". Currently living in 3600 sq. ft. waterfront house in a subdivision. Willing to downsize to 2500-3000 sq.ft. with the right room layout. I personally have reservations about moving to a higher density population area,if the economy really tanks and we have to grow,hunt,fish for our own food, not to mention the risk of social unrest in a more populated area. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
"...economy really tanks and we have to grow,hunt,fish for our own food, not to mention the risk of social unrest in a more populated area...."
If those things really worry you, maybe you should stay put. Many grandparents would love to be only 90 minutes away.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Not being rude here - but have you asked your kids if THEY want you closer? I loved my father dearly, but I would have asked him to stay put in the big lakefront house so the kids had a place to visit to go swimming, fishing, hunting, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
I would consider Franklin County -- just north of Wake Forest or Heritage in Wake Forest.
You could also buy a property that backs up onto Fall's lake - that usually gives you at least an acre, county taxes (usually) and you can 'fish' if needed. <grin>

Not sure if you'll find homes that new that back onto Fall's Lake that are that small though. what about an older home that has been updated? You might be able to find an all-brick, master on the first floor in Hunter's Landing or Pointe at Falls Lake or Birchfalls or other developments along Possum Track and/or Six Forks Rd that back up onto falls lake...

Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM

192 posts, read 312,950 times
I second the Franklin County area. However if you are in a position to build there are many communities that are just minutes to Falls Lake, such as, Devonshire or Grey Cliff. The price range may be higher than what you are looking for though.

Rocio

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Why not keep your home on Lake Gaston and find a small townhome in the area to be close to the grandkids during the week? Sounds like the best of both worlds to me!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary