U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM

341 posts, read 292,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciacsuperman View Post
My father moved from Branford, CT with his wife almost 2 yrs ago. At first he told me it was tough (obviously since all his family is still here). But he said after a while he grew. He met new people and loved the ride home (they own a house in the wood on a dirt road). I recently went down with my 4 yr old daughter to visit and love it down there. CT is way to expensive and tough. I have lived here all my life but with being married and 3 children, 7, 4 ad 7 months, its expensive...But we have been talking about moving south for a couple years. I hear Fuquay-Varina is good, my father loves Holly Springs and its 20min or less from stores.
Since you are parents of young children, one of the things you must be realistic about is extended family. That is the one thing that kept my husband and me up north (Westchester) until our daughter was grown. How much of a void will that leave?

I KNOW how expensive it is, but in doing your calculations remember that HOUSING costs are where ppl find a significant break down here. Will you maintain the same pay if you do a job transfer? If you take a paycut, will it be ok?? Day to Day costs are much the same as up north.

if you make the move, the kids need to be in a neighborhood to make friends and play outside. Can't go too far into the woods but Holly Springs still has patches of farmland on a few roads that makes it feel rural when you drive on them. Great place to raise your family and I have found the town to be predominantly northerners.

This is a wonderful place. However, as is often said on this forum, it's not perfect. Given the little ones depending on you, do your research and be realistic.

Good luck to you guys and enjoy the trip when you come down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 PM

33,066 posts, read 26,880,121 times
You're answering a very old post.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary