U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,484,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
This is my test of a neighborhood. Look at the closest shopping district or center and the stores it has. Police sub station , furniture rental,sweepstakes,check cashing places, ever changing nightclubs, seedy gas stations etc... With the exception of the pizza place thats basically what brentwood shopping center has. The main center is going to provide the goods the community around it warrants, Come to your own conclusion. its a bad sign when the main center cannot obtain an anchor store not even a food lion. Im not sure if Dollar general is even still there.
That shopping center has changed to serve its primarily Hispanic customers and has services catering to their needs. Not all the patrons are from the immediate area.

There is a Hispanic supermarket as an anchor.

Don't judge all of Brentwood by a few changed areas.

Last edited by saturnfan; 04-16-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM

23 posts, read 37,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Why do the neighbors meet with police "monthly"???

Vicki
I've only been to a few of the police meetings, and at those the police gave us printed reports of any crime in the district (the same incidents you can see on the crime maps, but with a little more detail) and residents asked questions about things like sound ordinances and parking ordinances. They seem to be mainly a chance to get to know the officers that patrol our area and to find out what kinds of problems they have seen in the surrounding areas. I know that in the past this has been important when issues came up with nearby nightclubs, because the residents were able to work with the police regularly on those concerns.

The meeting is for the whole district, but most neighborhoods don't have representatives who regularly attend. Brentwood has lots of retired residents who can attend those meetings and "get the scoop" for the rest of us.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,484,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungFogey View Post
I've only been to a few of the police meetings, and at those the police gave us printed reports of any crime in the district (the same incidents you can see on the crime maps, but with a little more detail) and residents asked questions about things like sound ordinances and parking ordinances. They seem to be mainly a chance to get to know the officers that patrol our area and to find out what kinds of problems they have seen in the surrounding areas. I know that in the past this has been important when issues came up with nearby nightclubs, because the residents were able to work with the police regularly on those concerns.

The meeting is for the whole district, but most neighborhoods don't have representatives who regularly attend. Brentwood has lots of retired residents who can attend those meetings and "get the scoop" for the rest of us.
This is exactly what we did in Los Angeles. A very good program.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,212 times
I'm a SAHM in Brentwood with two small sons, a husband, and a couple of dogs.

We bought our house here in 2006, when I was pregnant with our oldest-- and the very first thing we did was rip up the carpet!

Here's what I love about Brentwood:

-- no restrictive covenants means that I can garden organically (read-- I can take my time growing grass, or plant a sea of wildflowers)
-- there are full-grown trees here. TREES. Hardwood trees.
-- the neighborhood watch is active
-- there are young families moving in all the time now, it seems.
-- the elementary school has recently been converted to a magnet
-- there is diversity here. not just race, but also gender and age. I know that some people avoid diversity, but we specifically sought it out. That whole raising kids in america thing.

I always chuckle/roll my eyes when people start talking about the crime and ugly around brentwood. Boylan Ave (downtown) is $$ and a block away from the freaking prison! Unless you are moving into a gated Separatist-ville, there will be crime and criminals.

Oh-- and neighbors on several sides of me have chickens.

Sure there are some houses that aren't so great, with yards that are struggling (cough, mine can be counted as one occasionally, with those 2 kids and stuff), but when approached critically the neighborhood is about the same or slightly better than several others (including those fancy ITB houses). Another laugh? ITB houses are the SAME style house, with similar crime rates for about $50k more. No thanks, I'll stick with Brentwood.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

192 posts, read 261,922 times
I pass thru that area daily and apart from the apartment communities on New Hope Church Rd, the neighborhood seems pretty quiet. It may lack modernism and house a more diverse people than other neighborhoods but does that make it a bad neighborhood? Crime is everywhere, I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and we've received notices on occasion from our HOA warning of breakins around the community! And yes, Dollar General is still there, right by the Hispanic Supermarket.

Rocio

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Why do the neighbors meet with police "monthly"???

Vicki
Let me explain why the neighbors meet "monthly." Perhaps one's misunderstandings can be rectified and the truth clarified.

The Brentwood Neighborhood Association has had these monthly meetings every month since the 1960's. Yes, the 1960's.

They are a tradition. In the sixties, Brentwood was a new, premium neighborhood. Other neighborhoods, of course, have taken its place. But a great many of its residents were always very involved in the community.

People have continued the tradition. I hope no one is implying that something is wrong with this tradition?

Everyone knows what's going on in the neighborhood. They have for decades. This is a neighborhood of residents who care about the truth.

The neighbors depend on facts, thank goodness, and not rumors from people who live in other neighborhoods where the homes may cost a little more.

What is the Brentwood subdivision? The Brentwood subdivision is bordered by New Hope Church Road. On the other side of New Hope Church Road are two subdivisions: Shamrock Meadows and also Northshore, which has its own lake.

Further up on that side of New Hope Church is a shopping center. I do not consider that shopping center a part of Brentwood any more than I would consider Shamrock Meadows or Northshore part of Brentwood.

Brentwood is also bordered by Capital Boulevard (but does not include any businesses on Capital Boulevard), Atlantic Avenue, and Highwoods Boulevard, which consists of a beautiful office park. I love driving through it.

On the corner of New Hope Church at Capital, there's a Walgreen's. It's convenient. It's great. I love it. Is that part of Brentwood? Nope.

It's so strange that I meet so many people who live here who love Brentwood -- they live here, have lived here for years, and know the truth. Many have stayed long after their children have grown. I know of a couple instances where parents and children live in Brentwood -- in different homes and are delighted to be able to do it.

The new families I've met are THRILLED to live here.

Compared to so many cookie-cutter homes on treeless streets that I've seen all over the Triangle, or outside the Triangle on former cornfields, Brentwood, with its convenience and beauty, is an undiscovered gem.

I'm so glad that other people are figuring that out.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM

9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
I think you can be happy in Brentwood if you do your homework and know what you are doing. There are some nice areas and not so nice areas of Brentwood. I have a coworker who moved out of Brentwood after living there 10+ years because of crime/drug issues on his street. Is it a problem everywhere in the community? Of course not, but it was bad enough where he was living that he decided to move. There are places in Brentwood I would enjoy living, my coworkers old street is not one of them.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about Brentwood is given all the pluses detailed here in this post by current residents and it close proximity to downtown you would expect the property values to be higher than they are. Just some food for thought but I wouldn't purchase there expecting a high return in the future. Of course that can be said for many neighborhoods, but I do find it curious that Brentwood hasn't seen much appreciation over the years given it is so close to downtown. It's not like Brentwood is some sort of Well kept secret that hasn't been discovered.

Again just some food for thought. Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Food for thought? I've been happy with my investment. When I moved here in 1994, I qualified for a $300K mortgage. The best thing I ever did was not buy a $300K home.

Maybe the reason the area hasn't exploded as some properties have inside the Beltline is due to the rumors that some real estate agents spread. (And of course, 1960's homes aren't as charming as Victorian or early-1900's homes, but many are more charming than many 80's and 90's homes.)

The area is not yet at the level that people are looking at homes and thinking "tear down" to build another one, as they have in some parts of inside the Beltline.

But who knows. As the economy improves, some may want a McMansion on a lake, convenient to everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think you can be happy in Brentwood if you do your homework and know what you are doing. There are some nice areas and not so nice areas of Brentwood. I have a coworker who moved out of Brentwood after living there 10+ years because of crime/drug issues on his street. Is it a problem everywhere in the community? Of course not, but it was bad enough where he was living that he decided to move. There are places in Brentwood I would enjoy living, my coworkers old street is not one of them.

The only thing that makes me hesitant about Brentwood is given all the pluses detailed here in this post by current residents and it close proximity to downtown you would expect the property values to be higher than they are. Just some food for thought but I wouldn't purchase there expecting a high return in the future. Of course that can be said for many neighborhoods, but I do find it curious that Brentwood hasn't seen much appreciation over the years given it is so close to downtown. It's not like Brentwood is some sort of Well kept secret that hasn't been discovered.

Again just some food for thought. Good Luck!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-16-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 PM

Food Lion borders Brentwood on the other side of the subdivision.

Lowes Grocery is about a half mile the other way off Green Road (along with Lowes Home Improvement and Sam's Club).

Triangle Town Center mall with a ton of stores is maybe 2 miles away.

Trader Joe's isn't far.

The new Whole Foods on Six Forks doesn't take that long to get to. I go there every two weeks for gluten-free food.

As mentioned earlier, North Hills shopping is three miles away.

I've never even seen the Hispanic grocery store. Didn't know there was one there.

I don't think anyone in Brentwood is hurting for lack of convenient shopping options.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 AM

659 posts, read 1,333,551 times
I just drove through there yesterday. I think the neighborhood is cute. It reminds me of Scottish Hills in Cary where I used to live but more lively. I like how the speed limit is 25 on Brentwood with speed bumps. I love the room you have on either side of your house and the large yards, mature trees, and some people have really outdone themselves with landscaping. Plus it is really convenient to downtown and North Hills and all the major highways. Brentwood does seem like a hidden gem. I believe time will only increase its desirability, but hopefully it will always retain the same character and benefits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary