U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,498,439 times

Advertisements

While looking for houses for sale I found a house in Brentwood subdivision that I really like. Then I noticed that it is also listed on another website as rent to own. We had intended to rent short term while looking for a place to buy. This situation would make life so much easier! This neighborhood is very convenient geographically and I believe they allow chickens. Obviously it's not Cary. I really don't care about the pristine landscaping and cookie cutter neighborhoods in Cary. I actually prefer older homes with more character anyway (like in downtown Cary).

My main concern is safety. A realtor I spoke with (maybe 5 years ago when we were looking at houses in N. Raleigh...didn't end up buying there) told me that there is more crime in that part of town. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Can anyone give more detailed information on this area for a family with elementary aged kids? They'll be going to private school so I don't care about school district. I do care about places to play outside, green space, community parks, etc. I know there is tons of convenient shopping (Costco, Trader Joe's) Is there a local Farmers market (besides the state market)?

Thanks for any and all info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 8,635,795 times
Yes there is more crime in that area compared to say Cary. But are there shoot outs going on on a nightly basis? No. The crimes tends to stay on Capital Blvd and not travel into the neighborhoods. I have a friend that lives in Brentwood and his only complaint is a neighbor that likes to park monster trucks in his front yard.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,846,249 times
Hey. I'm an expert on this.

I enjoy the abundant trees, flowers, and bushes. I love sidewalks and streetlights, space between the houses, and good-sized yards. We have a very nice park, and the Garden Club has worked closely with Raleigh Parks and Recreation to make it look really beautiful.

It is convenient to everything, and it's more like living in a village. It's great being close to employment. I thought my 3-minute commute was great, but my husband has beat that, and he's about 1.5 minutes away. It's perfect in a time when gas prices are crazy high.

There are apartment complexes across the road from the Brentwood subdivision (not within the subdivision). There is crime there. The police has been working closely with apartment management on this. It seems to be centered there.

Crime is rare within the subdivision, and frankly, I've been surprised to see how little of it happens within our subdivision when compared to other areas, including Cary. Just check the crime maps!

The neighborhood is very good and has a lot of great people in it. If you want to get involved, you can join the Brentwood Neighborhood Association, the Garden Club, the Luminaria Committee, the quarterly newsletter, and the Brentwood Exchange Club.

Here are some recent community videos:
Gilemena - YouTube

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-16-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,211,255 times
Are you living in Raleigh now? Try the area off Capital blvd near Whitaker Mill rd/old wake forest etc. I live off Glascock street inbtw Mordecai and Oakwood. The neighborhoods of Belvedere Park and Woodcrest. I love it here, great schools, farmers market stand at flea market thats open everyday. Fish market in walking distance,on CAT line, animal friendly. ITB downtown in five minutes, Cameron Village in ten. Huge yards for size of homes, established neighborhoods that are gentrified and awesome. No HOA, sidewalks and affordable for ITB. There are a fair share of rentals but they are privately owned so your neighbors have been screened, not aware of any section 8 homes, fixer uppers for first home buyers that transition nicely into families. Great area of Raleigh, the revitalization of downtown has made my neighborhood the place I always hoped to live. Brentwood, not so much. Gangs,drugs, saturated low income housing , prostitution and bedbugs and roaches waiting to be brought home from every shop in area. I have worked in that area for years and seen its decline. Brentwood neighborhood is an established neighborhood that has became a victim of the times. Not prestigious,cool, hip or really safe for that matter.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM

OH MY GOODNESS! "Gangs,drugs, saturated low income housing , prostitution and bedbugs and roaches waiting to be brought home from every shop in area."

Check Oakwood crime stats. Compare it to the Brentwood subdivision. You won't be able to see the street names in Oakwood because the multiple crime icons obliterate the names.

To answer the OP's question about farmers markets. We have these excellent options:

- Farmer's Market every Saturday at North Hills - which is plenty "hip" and "trendy" -- in an upscale way -- than you could ask for. It's 3 miles away and a very quick trip. http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/index.php

- The State Farmers Market

- The Produce Box - -- delivers locally grown produce to your front door. We use it every year. http://www.theproducebox.com/

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-16-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Settle down please

Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
OH MY GOODNESS! "Gangs,drugs, saturated low income housing , prostitution and bedbugs and roaches waiting to be brought home from every shop in area."

Check Oakwood crime stats. Compare it to the Brentwood subdivision. You won't be able to see the street names in Oakwood because the multiple crime icons obliterate the names.
I did check the crime stats. It does look worse in Oakwood.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM

lovebrentwood, can you confirm that chickens are allowed? Do you have access to the restrictive covenants? And this house is in Brentwood Estates, if that makes a difference.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Yes, chickens are allowed, and there are many happy chickens living in Brentwood.

No, it doesn't matter if it's Brentwood Estates -- the subdivision was built at different times, and that's all that means. Brentwood Estates were built around 1968. You would be near me.

HOAs were not required of subdivisions at that time. So we do not have restrictive covenants -- or any HOA dues. We don't even have neighborhood association membership dues. Everything accomplished is done on a volunteer basis.

Every year since the 1960's, the neighborhood residents have donated money and time to have luminarias on Christmas Eve. We were one of the first subdivisions to have them in Raleigh.

For years, residents have donated $5,000 each year so that every street in the 1,400 subdivision has them. It doesn't include any selling of anything -- the organizers simply request donations. I think that's pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
lovebrentwood, can you confirm that chickens are allowed? Do you have access to the restrictive covenants? And this house is in Brentwood Estates, if that makes a difference.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,211,255 times
Oakwood looks bad because Its near New Bern Ave. I couldnt even begin to afford a house there. 300,000 and up easily. North Hills and Brentwood are two different places. I have lived all over Capital Blvd. From triangle town centre to Mordecai. Brentwood subdivision isnt teh problem with the exception of rental homes housing for multiple families within one home or large groupls or workers piled into washrooms and garages sleeping. Brentwood apartments as well as green castle are rampant with infestations of bed bugs and black mold which covers the ceilings and walls. I have worked with Hispanic outreach programs and trying to help people living in this area. I am being honest not judgemental. If you think all those things dont exisist your driving by with your lights off. What do you think all the graffitti is for. SUR 13 MS 13/ sur 10X3. these are gang tags. you find them on almost every corner of that area. I would live on almost anywhere else in raleigh then Brentwood. Personal forum , personal opinion. Oh and btw chickens are allowed downtown as well. just got a new coop last week.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM

31,595 posts, read 55,320,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
If you go to Disclaimer

At the Grantor search field, enter Brentwood Estates and Search, and it will pull up recorded docs.

Or:
In the bottom search fields, input the Book as 1441 and the Page as 655, you will open the Protective Covenants for Brentwood Estates.

The second page of the covenants indicates that they would automatically expire in 1991, thereby allowing chickens, unless the neighborhood voted to extend the covenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary