U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM

33,347 posts, read 27,141,581 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few old threads around, but I'd like recent advice and opinions.

I'm carefully considering LASIK. I've worn glasses or contacts for years, and while I don't mind them, I have recently started to have more issues with my near vision to the point that bifocals or such are going to become a necessity. I tried them a couple of years ago when this first started to be a slight issue and I get headaches and nausea from the bifocals. And I had top of the line ones, so I doubt trying them again will help.

I am considering what a colleague finally gave up and did. LASIK plus readers for up close vision.

That said, any recommendations? Money is no object. This is my vision.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,562,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I know there are a few old threads around, but I'd like recent advice and opinions.

I'm carefully considering LASIK. I've worn glasses or contacts for years, and while I don't mind them, I have recently started to have more issues with my near vision to the point that bifocals or such are going to become a necessity. I tried them a couple of years ago when this first started to be a slight issue and I get headaches and nausea from the bifocals. And I had top of the line ones, so I doubt trying them again will help.

I am considering what a colleague finally gave up and did. LASIK plus readers for up close vision.

That said, any recommendations? Money is no object. This is my vision.

Thanks!
Bifocals properly fitted should work well. Try a better eye doctor before risking your vision on surgery.

There is a 1-3% problem rate with LASIK. Some side effects are permanent.

Don't risk your money and health on something a non-invasive fix can solve (glasses).

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,251,298 times
I had LASIK about 10 years ago, and had wonderful vision without any side effects right from the moment I walked out of the doctor's office. One of the best things I ever did for myself - well worth the money.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM

524 posts, read 1,103,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I had LASIK about 10 years ago, and had wonderful vision without any side effects right from the moment I walked out of the doctor's office. One of the best things I ever did for myself - well worth the money.
Completely agree. I had it done about 4 years ago and wish I had done it sooner.

Mine was done by Dr. Dean Dornic in Cary, and I can recommend him highly. His entire office staff was a pleasure to work with.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 PM

451 posts, read 1,013,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
Completely agree. I had it done about 4 years ago and wish I had done it sooner.
Up to a certain point, I had it done at 21 and was told I would need revision later, which I could use. But I knew that going in and the improvement in quality of life was well worth it.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM

502 posts, read 1,435,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post

Mine was done by Dr. Dean Dornic in Cary, and I can recommend him highly. His entire office staff was a pleasure to work with.
Ditto. Dr Dornic and staff were great! I had the Intralase procedure just over a year ago and had 20/20 less than 24 hours later.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Bifocals properly fitted should work well. Try a better eye doctor before risking your vision on surgery.

There is a 1-3% problem rate with LASIK. Some side effects are permanent.

Don't risk your money and health on something a non-invasive fix can solve (glasses).
My ophthalmologist is at Duke. I really think it's just me. I get dizzy from corrections to my astigmatism adjustment. And I get headaches. I'm not approaching this lightly.

One of the issues with bifocals is having to move my head instead of my eyes. It's unnatural to me. I guess I could learn it eventually, but I read as a career. I dunno how long I could take time off to battle migraines and dizziness.

I could care less about any vanity issue. I just want to see well enough without the horrid blurry, dizzy, headachy feel of bifocals.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 AM

519 posts, read 864,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My ophthalmologist is at Duke. I really think it's just me. I get dizzy from corrections to my astigmatism adjustment. And I get headaches. I'm not approaching this lightly.

One of the issues with bifocals is having to move my head instead of my eyes. It's unnatural to me. I guess I could learn it eventually, but I read as a career. I dunno how long I could take time off to battle migraines and dizziness.

I could care less about any vanity issue. I just want to see well enough without the horrid blurry, dizzy, headachy feel of bifocals.
Before LASIK, I tried everything as well. Like you, bifocals gave me horrible headaches and something was always out of focus depending on how I moved my head (or eyes).

LASIK improved my quality of life. I understood the chances of side effects, yet I have never had any. After my surgery, my doctor told me to go home and take a nap since my eyes would be very tired. To this day, I remember waking up and being able to read the poster on the other side of the room that I could not read when I woke up that morning. One of the best feelings I have ever had.

I'm glad that you aren't taking the decision lightly. After 12 years of having LASIK done, those headaches I had never returned. I would strongly recommend the doctor I had, yet he is in Western New York.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM

Thank you all for the recs so far. And I enjoyed hearing your experiences. I think I'll start setting up some consultations.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

100 posts, read 237,084 times
My husband and I both had ours done with Dr. Lori Travers at Travers Lasik a few years ago. Both are very very happy with our results and at the time she also had the best price in town. Don't know what her prices are currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary