U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 AM
 
61 posts, read 205,857 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

I google this and found a thread in 2007 about this same topic. I only use PSNC for our gas burners on our stovetop. Everything else in our newly purchased townhome is electric. I just received my 1st bill and it's $15.65 where we only used $5.65 of gas. The remaining $10 is a "Basic Facility Charge." I emailed them about this and received this:
The Basic Facility Charge (BFC) is a fixed monthly charge that covers the basic cost of bringing gas service to your location. The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission and some examples of costs covered by the BFC include, but are not limited to: Equipment (meter, service lines, etc), Meter Reading, & Billing
I think it's outrageous that 75% of my bill is for administrative fees. Has anybody had any luck contesting this and taking it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Downtown Durham, NC
919 posts, read 2,023,924 times
Reputation: 731
You will not get it taken off, unfortunately. Every single one of their customers is charged that.

At least you have some use over the summer. Our only gas appliance is our heater right now, so we have to pay $10 a month over the summer for zero gas usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,801 posts, read 3,762,763 times
Reputation: 2939
Seems reasonable to me. There are essentially fixed costs associated with maintaining a line to a home and delivering gas through it, and then you pay for the product being delivered through it.

Doesn't matter how much gas you use...they still need to maintain the line, read the meter, and send you a bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
2,934 posts, read 7,136,016 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
You will not get it taken off, unfortunately. Every single one of their customers is charged that.

At least you have some use over the summer. Our only gas appliance is our heater right now, so we have to pay $10 a month over the summer for zero gas usage.
Yeah we pay about $10 a month for half the year. I understand their part and the charges are not unreasonable in my book. Would it be better if they didn't charge me anything...sure, but it's nothing more than any other provider would charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
Reputation: 22118
If it makes you feel any better, we have the same thing here with our gas service from the City of Mesa, Arizona. Our home only has gas heat and hot water.
We actually have left the house empty for four month in the summer and still had to pay it unless we paid to turn off and reinstate the gas at the street. Which was about the same cost as the monthly fee, but far more hassle.

Spiderman is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Reputation: 8516
I understand the frustration but it's not "administrative fees." There is a cost to their business of having a customer account. Minimal gas usage charges aren't going to cover that basic cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
 
351 posts, read 683,254 times
Reputation: 303
The City of Raleigh does the same. I have my irrigation shut off during the winter, but still get a fixed "administrative fee" on that meter for the months I do not use water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
 
995 posts, read 2,505,352 times
Reputation: 980
The fee is a little high but I did have a problem with my meter once and they replaced it free. They also did some pressure tests free of charge.

What is you cancel your gas for 5 months of the year then reactivate in October? Have you thought about doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
451 posts, read 615,103 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
The fee is a little high but I did have a problem with my meter once and they replaced it free. They also did some pressure tests free of charge.

What is you cancel your gas for 5 months of the year then reactivate in October? Have you thought about doing that?
We had that option when we installed gas logs several years ago, but it works out cheaper to pay the $10 per month than pay the reactivation fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,150 posts, read 3,817,852 times
Reputation: 3893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazother1 View Post
I google this and found a thread in 2007 about this same topic. I only use PSNC for our gas burners on our stovetop. Everything else in our newly purchased townhome is electric. I just received my 1st bill and it's $15.65 where we only used $5.65 of gas. The remaining $10 is a "Basic Facility Charge." I emailed them about this and received this:
The Basic Facility Charge (BFC) is a fixed monthly charge that covers the basic cost of bringing gas service to your location. The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission and some examples of costs covered by the BFC include, but are not limited to: Equipment (meter, service lines, etc), Meter Reading, & Billing
I think it's outrageous that 75% of my bill is for administrative fees. Has anybody had any luck contesting this and taking it off?
The answer is in part of your post - "The BFC is approved by the North Carolina Utilities Commission". They are the people to contact, but you will probably have little chance of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top