U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2006, 06:32 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,757,086 times
Red face Hummingbirds

Ok this is a really different post than most, but I have a question about hummingbirds in NC. I had recently put out a hummingbird feeder and they have been visiting it quite often now. I was told I have to take that down at the end of Sept. Is that right or not? I am clueless when it comes to birds, but am trying to learn more about them. I did learn how to make the sugar water mixture if anyone wants to know. One part sugar to 4 parts water. Anymore sugar can harm the birds. Thanks for any info on them.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM

10,355 posts, read 17,433,883 times
Hey Debbie, don't know the answer to your question but my mother in law used to have tons of hummingbirds around her feeders. Did you put in the red food coloring? Seems that attracts them. Thats all I know! Vicki

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 PM

304 posts, read 385,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Ok this is a really different post than most, but I have a question about hummingbirds in NC. I had recently put out a hummingbird feeder and they have been visiting it quite often now. I was told I have to take that down at the end of Sept. Is that right or not? I am clueless when it comes to birds, but am trying to learn more about them. I did learn how to make the sugar water mixture if anyone wants to know. One part sugar to 4 parts water. Anymore sugar can harm the birds. Thanks for any info on them.

Debbie
DebbieF, these are smart little birds....you don't have to take away their food. When the time comes to migrate, they will know! I had a friend in Oriental, NC who was licensed to band them and lots of times the same birds will return the next spring. We have 4 feeders and ours are busy....As far as sugar, some people suggest 1 part sugar to 3 parts water when the hummers first arrive. I think the theory is they need more nourishment at that time. We have always just done the 1 to 4.....also, according to the experts, you should not add red food coloring....most feeders have red on them and that is all that is needed.

We also have lots of Black Swallowtail Butterflies here in NC. You might consider feeding them and providing host plants for the caterpillars to feed on. We have enjoyed them, all stages from the butterfly to the caterpillar to the chrysalis and then the new butterfly. If you have children it is a great education for them. Right now we have about 75 hungry caterpillars munching on parsley and Queen Ann's Lace!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 AM

Thanks so much Whitney. I was also told not to put red coloring in there. I have a really pretty handpainted bottle that I got from Cary Lazy Days. It has almost every color on it, and is bright. They did find it. Thanks again

Debbie

Old 09-19-2006, 06:19 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,174,532 times
The NC PBS channel recently showed a special on Birds of NC....there was a large part about hummingbirds. Depending on where in the state you are, there are hummingbirds in NC almost year-round. Different species are here in the summer vs the winter though. I don't recall what types they were.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:33 AM

39 posts, read 117,265 times
Default Hummers

Debbie, you don't need to use red food coloring. Yes, they are attracted to the red color, but it's a chemical that God knows they don't need...use a red bottle OR tie red ribbons near the bottle. More importantly, plant flowers that hummingbirds love--bee balm, honeysuckle, columbine, butterfly bushes, fushia.

I am SO envious of u. I live in a suburb of MA and I don't get any--at least I don't see them. I've done everything to attract them. I will be moving south next year and I look forward to gardening and seeing those little magical birds in my garden.

enjoy and don't take it for granted!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks this was my first try at this, and it took about a week before they came. I was sooooooooo excited when I saw them I scared my dog. lol

Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM

180 posts, read 524,676 times
Lolahbelle, I am from Ma. and I saw a few around the feeder this summer, but they migrate to canada and then back quickly to NC! God I can't wait to see them more often! On the other hand I can't wait to see that first snowfall too!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:38 PM

39 posts, read 117,265 times
hummingbirds are one of those "gifts" that u get if you sit still for a moment and shut up... then u can appreciate their beauty.

Deb-make sure to keep u're feeder clean, plants some flowers, have a clean water source and u will have visiters often. bird watching is a wonderful pastime, good luck and have fun.

scott-i live in melrose (8 miles north of boston). when i lived in central MA i had hummers visit often, that's when i fell in love with them. i get plenty of other birds here and butterflies but none of the little guys. are u moving to NC? or in NC moving back? like u said about the 1st snowfall, i wait for the 1st dark-eyed junco sighting. love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary