Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM

72 posts, read 152,039 times

Advertisements

26 yr old female looking to relocate from Northeast Ohio. Let me know what your thoughts are on the area. I would be looking for a job in Graphic Design.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
You will be fine - but don't move without a job in place.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
For sure.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM

924 posts, read 2,098,947 times
YoungProfessional9, what kind of "thoughts" on the area are you looking for? I and others here would be happy to help you if we can, but your post is so vague that it's hard to know how to respond.

Also, incidentally, for what it's worth, I don't entirely agree with BoBromhal's comment that you should definitely not move to a new town without a job in place. Obviously, it's less risky if you do have a job lined-up, but depending on your situation, that may or may not be possible. And if you don't mind taking a risk, and if your circumstances will allow you to take a risk, then I think it might be a decent risk to take. People move to new cities without a job all the time, and sometimes it doesn't work out, but sometimes it works out just fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not specifically advocating that you move to Raleigh (or anywhere else) without a job in hand. I just wouldn't necessarily rule it out altogether, depending on your situation.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM

78 posts, read 353,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Totally agree....

In a nutshell, this is a great city, there is alittle bit of everything for everyone...

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
YoungProfessional9, what kind of "thoughts" on the area are you looking for? I and others here would be happy to help you if we can, but your post is so vague that it's hard to know how to respond.

Also, incidentally, for what it's worth, I don't entirely agree with BoBromhal's comment that you should definitely not move to a new town without a job in place. Obviously, it's less risky if you do have a job lined-up, but depending on your situation, that may or may not be possible. And if you don't mind taking a risk, and if your circumstances will allow you to take a risk, then I think it might be a decent risk to take. People move to new cities without a job all the time, and sometimes it doesn't work out, but sometimes it works out just fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not specifically advocating that you move to Raleigh (or anywhere else) without a job in hand. I just wouldn't necessarily rule it out altogether, depending on your situation.
Thanks so much for the response. I thought a vague post might steer away from posters criticizing the post and present it in a manner for more general comments. People are quick to bash on here.

..Anyways, I also agree with you tompope. Most people say for security purposes have a job lined up, But I've also heard a lot of employers don't like to hire unless the person is living in the area. So I'm open to both- and saving for the uncertainty.

I actually know 2 buddies working and living in Raleigh and they love it. But I wanted to get some unbiased input-Or input from people I don't know.

For the most part-I have heard there are jobs. ..But I want to know if you think I would like the city and if it would have a lot to offer me. I tend to be liberal in politics and mindset, and kind of shy away at the idea of moving 'South' or to any Southern area that may feel too conservative. But I've heard Raleigh is a bit of a different mold.? So it might work for me. I hope I'm not offending anyone. I just want to know if I would fit in the area. I'm in no way some huge hippie, or left wing radical, but I'm very accepting of others and I like a diverse environment. My lifestyle is very active and I eat very healthy-all organic. I like a thriving arts and music scene. I breakdance in my spare time. I would also like to be in a city with plenty of single young professionals like myself. Northeast Ohio is very boring to me-Not to mention this depressing weather. I have thought about moving to California, but I just don't think I would be able to afford it at this point in my life. I'm also a rookie in my field but have been in the workforce for a good 2 years now. I'm not too concerned with the cost of living in NC as long as I can find a job to pay the bills.
Hope this helps! This site has been very helpful to me. Thanks every one.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,810,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
People are quick to bash on here.
"Here", as in the Raleigh forum?

I think that, for the most part, you'll find the members here to be both knowledgeable and helpful. That said, specific questions will get you better responses than vague ones. Hopefully some of the other "regulars" will also join in soon with advice for you.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
"Here", as in the Raleigh forum?

I think that, for the most part, you'll find the members here to be both knowledgeable and helpful. That said, specific questions will get you better responses than vague ones. Hopefully some of the other "regulars" will also join in soon with advice for you.
Thanks. No, here as in City-Data Forums in general..

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,149,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungProfessional9 View Post
Thanks so much for the response. I thought a vague post might steer away from posters criticizing the post and present it in a manner for more general comments. People are quick to bash on here.

..Anyways, I also agree with you tompope. Most people say for security purposes have a job lined up, But I've also heard a lot of employers don't like to hire unless the person is living in the area. So I'm open to both- and saving for the uncertainty.

I actually know 2 buddies working and living in Raleigh and they love it. But I wanted to get some unbiased input-Or input from people I don't know.

For the most part-I have heard there are jobs. ..But I want to know if you think I would like the city and if it would have a lot to offer me. I tend to be liberal in politics and mindset, and kind of shy away at the idea of moving 'South' or to any Southern area that may feel too conservative. But I've heard Raleigh is a bit of a different mold.? So it might work for me. I hope I'm not offending anyone. I just want to know if I would fit in the area. I'm in no way some huge hippie, or left wing radical, but I'm very accepting of others and I like a diverse environment. My lifestyle is very active and I eat very healthy-all organic. I like a thriving arts and music scene. I breakdance in my spare time. I would also like to be in a city with plenty of single young professionals like myself. Northeast Ohio is very boring to me-Not to mention this depressing weather. I have thought about moving to California, but I just don't think I would be able to afford it at this point in my life. I'm also a rookie in my field but have been in the workforce for a good 2 years now. I'm not too concerned with the cost of living in NC as long as I can find a job to pay the bills.
Hope this helps! This site has been very helpful to me. Thanks every one.
chapel hill/carborro might fit you a bit better. its more left-leaning and has a neat community feel. there are probably more people your age around there, too. i think you should be concerned more with finding a job though. the job market in the whole raleigh area pretty much sucks

edit- but compared to where you are now the job market is probably better

Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,138,634 times
Man if you're coming from NE Ohio you'll probably think the Triangle is Portland's little cousin. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary