Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 PM

140 posts, read 416,992 times

Advertisements

I need to purchase new appliances and I am wondering if Sears has gotten any better in terms of their customer service, their delivery people,their warranties ? They have had a poor rep for years and I was wondering if it has gotten any better...
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,921,372 times
ConsumerReports.org - Home-improvement return policies

ConsumerReports.org - Appliance stores, CR Quick Recommendations (broken link)

Hope these links help, they should

Old 09-16-2007, 06:40 AM

57 posts, read 245,528 times
It seems the recommendations link will only work if you are a CR subscriber...

I've always loved the Sear appliance dept. and have generally received good customer service. I've always had good experiences with Sears, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of responses from those who didn't (as with any store).

I don't know about warranties, as I've never worried about them (or purchased additional warranties from the store). Try doing some appliance research on Amazon first - read customer reviews especially. Cross reference that with Sear's list of appliances to make sure you can find reviews for particular models.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 AM

65 posts, read 191,577 times
I would probably shop for appliances at Sears. I can't think of any other stores in the area that would be better. I would probably buy from Sears before Home Depot, Best Buy or Lowes. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 4 days ago)

43,076 posts, read 76,631,641 times
I have had appliances delivered by Sears, Lowes, and Best Buy.

Lowe's and Best Buy use employees. Sears uses subcontractors.

I would say that Best Buy did the Best.
Lowe's routinely requires you to stand firm to get proper service.
My wife handled the DW from Sears. It works and nothing was destroyed.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,035,128 times
We bought our washer and drier from Sears. The only hiccup was they delivered the wrong color of drier. They let us keep it until they delivered the correct one a couple days later. That wasn't a big deal for me, but I can see how it might have been a major annoyance for someone else. The good news is that the teams who made the deliveries were very pleasant and professional, and on time (actually, they were running ahead of schedule and called to see if they could make the delivery a couple of hours early). Delivery and installation was free, as was a one-year service plan.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM

770 posts, read 2,748,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalady View Post
I need to purchase new appliances and I am wondering if Sears has gotten any better in terms of their customer service, their delivery people,their warranties ? They have had a poor rep for years and I was wondering if it has gotten any better...
Thank you
I recently replaced my kitchen appliances, upgrading to stainless steel
Do plenty of research because I found vast differences in some of the prices.
I finally got a microwave/wall oven combo from Web Store of America for $1200 without tax when the cheapest anywhere was $1700 ( plus I got $100 rebate).
I got an LG top of the line fridge/freezer from Sear scratch and dent in raleigh ( it was new and unmarked) for $1500 instead of the $3300 list.
[i] got the hob from Garner TV and appliances.
FYI lowes and HD have scratch and dent appliances at all their stores, Lowes brings stuff out on Friday afternoons and may be worth checking out
Hope that helps

Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,857,160 times
The thing I find very annoying at Sears is that the 'headline price' on the ticket is the price for a white appliance even if the ticket is on a stainless steel or one of the new bright red or blue colors.

I find that misleading and would not buy at Sears as a consequence of these petty little tricks. IMHO the price on the ticket should be the price of that item and it should not be necessary to take an attorney on shopping trips to read the very small print.

Sears management need to reconsider this as whenever the Sub Contractor Salesmen respond the answer is that it is mangement policy. So I interpret that as management policy to cheat customers. As a consequence of this type of 'cheating' our $5000 went to Lowes.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,658,646 times
I've always had great service from bestbuy and lowes, both in terms of original purchase and in terms of warranty service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary