U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:04 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,682,214 times

Advertisements

Ok Folks...how does everyone here pick up the pine needles all over their yards (If you have pines)? I've tried raking them before, but it takes so long due to the fact that they will not easily come up and then they get stuck in the rake. I was thinking about getting on of those lawn sweeper things, but the ones that you can push yourself (without a tractor) are very hard to find.

Is there anything else I can do or use to pick pine needles in an efficient manner that really gets them all up?

Thanks for any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM

5,430 posts, read 4,727,591 times
My husband just uses a fine rake, does not seem to take a real long time.....but it is him and not me doing it.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 AM

85 posts, read 210,126 times
I've run into the same problems. Having just moved here, I was suprised at all of the pine needles.....and what a pain there can be!

I suggest investing in a good leaf blower. Between using my leaf blower and a good yard rake, I was able to clean the front lawn pretty well. The best part is that you can rake them right into your flower beds......because everyone uses them as part of the landscaping (instead of the expensive mulch that we used to buy up north!!!) It was great. No bagging required!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM

19,143 posts, read 13,970,368 times
Depends on the size of your yard....I've always used a fine rake and it seems to work ok. Yeah, the needles do get stuck but you just have to keep pulling them out. That was only on a 1/2 acre lot at the time...now we have 2 acres but no pine trees.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 AM

7,473 posts, read 14,754,950 times
a blower or a find rake. The rake works the best but the blower is nice for quick jobss.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 AM

526 posts, read 1,289,072 times
Default Free pine straw

Here's an idea: post on craigslist.com that you have free pine straw available--all they have to do is rake it up! Seriously. People post "free firewood" all the time--all you have to do is cut down the tree

And don't worry about getting up every single needle. I can rake up our front yard (about 1/3 acre) and distribute the lovely straw under the azaleas in about half an hour. Leaf blowers are useless for this. The straw just sticks in the blades of grass. Later, when and if the lawn needs mowing (yay drought!!), you can just mow the stragglers into dust.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 AM

7,473 posts, read 14,754,950 times
you can just mow the yard too. The needles get mulched up.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,682,214 times
Thanks for the replies. I just bought the most expensive rake (fine rake) at Lowes and it seems to do the trick. It does a much better job then just a regular rake and I finished my front yard in about an hour and got 6 full yard bags full of needles. Now next weekend it's on the back yard. I really do like all the trees in my yard for my house only being 11 years old, but the pines and those sweet gum balls are killing me! Oh well, I'll take some privacy over a clear cut, treeless lot anyday.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I really do like all the trees in my yard for my house only being 11 years old, but the pines and those sweet gum balls are killing me!
I have 6 or 8 sweetgum trees at the back edge of my property so I understand your frustration. Those dang spikey pods are always in my yard. Running over them with the lawn mower is like running over a golf ball. Does anyone have one of those lawn sweepers? Do then do a good job of picking up sweetgum seed pods?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM

446 posts, read 938,862 times
Set your mower deck to a high cut and blow the needles towards the trees/shrubs. This way they don't jet chopped up. Pine needles cost a small fortune by the bale. This is assuming you have a lawn tractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary