Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,069 times

Advertisements

I just went though this exact same thing with my parents. they love the Raleigh area and they are still quite active and wanted somewhere that they could maintain that same level of independence but be around others in the same boat. we found a great Active adult living community called Mackintosh-The Glen its a D.R. Horton community. and they have been there for almost a year and they love it. best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM

19,369 posts, read 27,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitbelle View Post
I just went though this exact same thing with my parents. they love the Raleigh area and they are still quite active and wanted somewhere that they could maintain that same level of independence but be around others in the same boat. we found a great Active adult living community called Mackintosh-The Glen its a D.R. Horton community. and they have been there for almost a year and they love it. best of luck.
Just for information purposes, this community is in Burlington, NC - about an hour away from raleigh. (And based on posting history, whitbelle is a DR Horton employee.)

Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM

1,694 posts, read 2,569,583 times
Consider the Rue Sans Famille neighborhood in Raleigh.
Sans Famille Raleigh NC

Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 PM

12 posts, read 27,869 times
Default 55+ communities

There's a new 55+ community being built in Wake Forest called The Courtyards at Heritage Grove (The Courtyards at Heritage Grove | New Homes in Wake Forest | Epcon Communities | Raleigh). I know of it because I am having one of their models built in an Epcon community in Chapel Hill, [http://www.epconcommunities.com/nc/chapel-hill/the-courtyards-at-homestead-road/#.WOAcDBIrK5Q"]. There are also two Epcon Communities in Cary - Courtyards of Cary and [http://www.epconcommunities.com/nc/cary/the-courtyards-at-okelly-chapel/#.WOAcVRIrK5Q"], and one being developed in east Durham, [http://www.epconcommunities.com/nc/durham/the-courtyards-at-andrews-chapel/#.WOAbcRIrK5Q"]. None have golf but all have clubhouses with pools. They are smaller than Del Webb communities but beautiful, well-built homes. You should check them out.

Betsy, Retired in Chapel Hill

Old 04-03-2017, 04:30 PM

51,587 posts, read 25,520,612 times
Are there any communities with indoor pools?

Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,203,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I know carolina preserve has one.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:40 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,378,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

The Del Webb communities in Cary and Brier Creek both have beautiful indoor and outdoor pools. Only resales available at Carolina Preserve in Cary as the community completed building a few years ago. Still building in Carolina Arbors.....only 2 phases left to go. Betting they'll be done in 1-1/2 years.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,389,403 times
We might have a home built in an Epcon community, same 55+ idea but much smaller communities (150 lots or less) than Del Webb (1,200 lots or so). We looked at Del Webb and were intrigued by the low 'starting at' prices, but absolutely everything is an extra upgrade, and they're no bargain once you choose your options. I can't believe anyone would buy one of their standard homes with no upgrades. And though the layouts are great, somehow they've managed to make all the homes look pretty much alike from the front elevation - my wife said 'it looks creepy, like a Stepford neighborhood.' We scratched Del Webb off our list, but obviously they have their fans all over the country. YMMV

Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 PM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
, somehow they've managed to make all the homes look pretty much alike from the front elevation - my wife said 'it looks creepy, like a Stepford neighborhood.' We scratched Del Webb off our list, but obviously they have their fans all over the country. YMMV
My parents have lived in Carolina Preserve since 2009 and we moved here the following year and I still have to look at the number on the mailbox to find their house! And my DH went over there recently to help with someone and went to the wrong door LOL.

My parents have some truly hilarious stories about the elderly people over there getting up in arms about this and that issue (and my parents are in their 80s).

Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,378,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We might have a home built in an Epcon community, same 55+ idea but much smaller communities (150 lots or less) than Del Webb (1,200 lots or so). We looked at Del Webb and were intrigued by the low 'starting at' prices, but absolutely everything is an extra upgrade, and they're no bargain once you choose your options. I can't believe anyone would buy one of their standard homes with no upgrades. And though the layouts are great, somehow they've managed to make all the homes look pretty much alike from the front elevation - my wife said 'it looks creepy, like a Stepford neighborhood.' We scratched Del Webb off our list, but obviously they have their fans all over the country. YMMV
Different strokes for different folks. We looked at the Epcon community in Cary (Courtyards at O'Kelly Chapel) and much preferred Del Webb. We did not find a significant difference in pricing. You'll notice that the Epcon communities pretty much follow Del Webb - they seem to build on the fringe of their communities. You cannot compare amenities at all.... if you've seen our neighborhood, you must admit that Piedmont Hall is pretty amazing.

There is also Creekside at Bethpage which is close by. I have friends who live there and love it; they wanted a smaller community too. The larger models are gorgeous but I'm not at all fond of the smaller ones. Their amenity center is also pretty small.

We still work full time and are not 100% certain we will stay here after retirement. We still think of going back to New England sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary