U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What furniture you dealt with
Rooms to go 5 29.41%
Harvetys 3 17.65%
Ashley Furniture 2 11.76%
Warehouse (please specify) 1 5.88%
Other (please specify) 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM

21 posts, read 27,058 times
Default Need advice on buying Furnitue

Hi,

we live in Raleigh/Cary area. What place would you suggest to buy good quality (last good 10-15 years at least) Furniture. we have a fairly decent budget (around 8-10 thousand for the whole 3Bedroom plus family room house). We saw Rooms to go and Harvetys. Anyone has experience with them (I was actually reading really bad reviews for RTG) but they didn't differ that much in price. While searching everyone says to go for furniture warehouse to get good deal. what would be the ones in Raleigh/Cary/Durhum area to go to if warehouse? Is there a good time of year we should be thinking of for furniture?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 PM

235 posts, read 263,230 times
I really like Havertys. I had never been in their showrooms until my Mom purchased a bedroom set there 2 wks ago. I'm not sure you'll get Thomasville quality, but you should get 10-15 yrs of quality and reasonable pricing. I'm going back to them to furnish my new home.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 14,715,304 times
Furniture, especially wood, is almost completely junk and will not give long service. Only custom made has any real quality. Famous names now sell Asian trash.

Haverty's is a reliable store but the days of good durable furniture are behind us.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 8,952,222 times
We've gotten a couple of things from Haverty's and been pleased. Their delivery service is very good.

You could also take a trip to High Point - we did and while we didn't buy anything it would seem a good investment of time if you're looking to furnish a whole house.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 27,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We've gotten a couple of things from Haverty's and been pleased. Their delivery service is very good.

You could also take a trip to High Point - we did and while we didn't buy anything it would seem a good investment of time if you're looking to furnish a whole house.
By High Poing do you mean any specific shop/warehouse

Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,312,283 times
You can look into CarolinaFarmhouse.com Won't suit all tastes, but it is solid furniture that is built in Cary. We've ordered a table, bench, shelves and will be ordering a sideboard for the kitchen eating area. They have a website with photos and dimensions, but their Facebook page gives many more photos.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,501,309 times
Did you look at Costco? We did most of our house from them five years ago, and plan on selling it all before we move to NC. Then, we'll take a trip to High Point, maybe visit Haverty's, Copenhagen (if you've got one) and compare to Costco. I'm gonna predict that Costco gets most of the business.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 PM

407 posts, read 399,583 times
I think High Point has lost some of the "best deal" furniture that it once had. With that said, I bought a couch from Furniture Land South and like the quality/price. I liked that I could select exactly what I wanted, right down to the accent pillows.

Discount Furniture - Furnitureland South

My only compliant is while I knew going into it that the manufacturer was making my couch according to my specifications and would take 6 weeks...Furniture Land South had it in their warehouse for 2.5 weeks before they delivered it. I won't go into the specific details and the different conversations I had with their reps, but I was very disappointed with their whole delivery process.

I also bought a bedroom suite locally from Home Comfort Furniture, and have been very pleased.

Home Comfort Furniture

Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 PM

61 posts, read 40,256 times
Can anyone shop at High Point Market? I'm reading on heir site that you need a tax id and that you need to be in the furniture industry trade to be able to buy?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 PM

572 posts, read 576,080 times
Buy from Craigslist from people moving/relocating. If you are patient you can do very well. A couple of years ago, I bought a former Hurricanes goalie's dining room set from his realtors after he had been traded and they had just sold his house. Paid about 25% of what it sold at Home Comfort Furniture. Was at most 1 yr old and looked like it had only been used a handful of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary