Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Raleigh next month, but our new house will not be completed for 6-8 months. The buyer of our home has purchased about 70% of the furniture, so we have decided to sell the rest of it via CL and just bring our stuff in boxes. (Actually, it feels really good to get rid of everything and start fresh!)

We had intended on renting an apartment, but now we'd have to rent furniture, too. So we're wondering about just moving into an extended stay kind of place, with two rooms and a kitchenette kind of thing. That would also give us free utilities, internet, cable tv, phone and maid service for 6-8 months (which sounds kind of appealing). This also would give us a lot of flexibility to leave when our house is completed - something that is not really available with a leased apartment.

We are an older couple, husband will be getting a knee replacement during this period of time, and we have a small dog.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
I don't think it would be any cheaper for you. By the time you add in the utilities etc. at the apartment, Residence Inn probably will still be more than an apartment. You would also need to store all of those boxes and figure in that cost. I think you will be surprised by how much it is. You certainly won't fit a household full of stuff into Residence Inn. But the flexibility is definitely greater in a place like that. And it will be less hassle at the Residence Inn. I guess it all depends on which aspects are more important to you.

We always stay at Residence Inn when we travel. We have a family of six and it's very comfortable for a day or two. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. We've never stayed long-term, though.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I think a lot would depend on your budget. Rates for Residence Inn, depending on location, are more than $100/night ($3,000/month). That's a LOT, especially if you're also having to pay to store boxes.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I think renting an apt would be more economic even IF you leave early & have to pay the months you dont use. BUT I also know when I purchased property move in dates were always delayed for some reason or another!

I rent apt thru Silverwood they Allow 2 dogs in their apts! They have apts in NC

Griffith Commons Apartments Winston-Salem, North Carolina | Apartments | Silverwood Companies (http://www.silverwoodcompanies.com/development/griffith-commons.php - broken link) This one for Everyone!

http://www.silverwoodcompanies.com/development/hunt-park.php (broken link) This one is for 55 & older & disabled!

http://www.silverwoodcompanies.com/index.php This is the main website!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I think renting an apt would be more economic even IF you leave early & have to pay the months you dont use. BUT I also know whaen I purchased property move in dates were always delayed for some reason or another!
Yes, and this is what makes it even a question of whether or not to do the Residence Inn. We just rented a short term apt for our move in June and I was told by one leasing agent that when the lease is up she has seen the month-to-month rate go as high as $2000/month. I'm not sure of the Residence Inn price (I think that 3k number is accurate for a 2br. not sure about smaller unit). But I guess it would still be cheaper than that!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are moving to Raleigh next month, but our new house will not be completed for 6-8 months. The buyer of our home has purchased about 70% of the furniture, so we have decided to sell the rest of it via CL and just bring our stuff in boxes. (Actually, it feels really good to get rid of everything and start fresh!)

We had intended on renting an apartment, but now we'd have to rent furniture, too. So we're wondering about just moving into an extended stay kind of place, with two rooms and a kitchenette kind of thing. That would also give us free utilities, internet, cable tv, phone and maid service for 6-8 months (which sounds kind of appealing). This also would give us a lot of flexibility to leave when our house is completed - something that is not really available with a leased apartment.

We are an older couple, husband will be getting a knee replacement during this period of time, and we have a small dog.

Any thoughts or experiences?
As a consultant, I once "lived" in a TownePlace Suites by Marriott for 11 months, with my spouse. It was doable, and the Marriott Rewards points were great. So was the housekeeping. But, I wasn't paying the bill. My suggestion would be to compare rates against a corporate apartment, and to also look for the newest-constructed property (these age fast) by a decent brand by Marriott, Hilton, etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM

You might also try checking vrbo.com and seeing if there are any vacation rentals you could use longer-term.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Well my full rent on 2 bedroom apt thru Silverwood ie $815 per month! Electric runs adv $150 BUT I am in WV so dont know what rent in NC or utilities would be LOL IF you call about these let me know hehehe Been thinking of transfering to a warmer area LOL

Last edited by Katie1; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We stayed at a Towne Place Suites when we moved here - I think their cheapest rate is $90/night (you pay less the longer you stay, but I think that's the cheapest)....not sure that's a money saver. Also not sure you want to deal with a hotel during a knee replacement (what if the elevator goes out of service?)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
You could also rent a furnished apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary