Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
(Some) companies CHOOSE to cover domestic partners of their employees. Nobody is forced by the government to do so; it's a free-market benefit where a company believes it can sweeten the pot to potential employees and perhaps give them an edge over other companies. NO company would be forced to offer domestic partner benefits in any case, and rejecting the amendment would simply leave things exactly as they are now. However, passage of the Amendment would force companies to STOP offering benefits that they wanted to offer. If that's not "Big Brother" government interfering in the private affairs of business, I don't know what is.
When private companies or the government employers offer free-market benefits to their employees; we, the people, will always end up footing the bill. I don't want to pay the insurance for "friends" of employees of banks or the state or anyone else that chooses to pay the expenses of people that are not legally married. Every now and then, we, the people need laws that keep us from being abused by those that decide we should pay for others lifestyles. So if you want to "shack up" in North Carolina, pay for your "shacking rights" yourself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-03-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When private companies or the government employers offer free-market benefits to their employees; we, the people, will always end up footing the bill. I don't want to pay the insurance for "friends" of employees of banks or the state or anyone else that chooses to pay the expenses of people that are not legally married. Every now and then, we, the people need laws that keep us from being abused by those that decide we should pay for others lifestyles. So if you want to "shack up" in North Carolina, pay for your "shacking rights" yourself.
Nor do I want to "foot the bill" for folks receiving free-market benefits from their employers who have narrow and bigoted views.

Can we that that on the ballot in Novemeber as well?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-03-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Things that make you go Hmmm,

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof....

Last edited by wolfcub; 05-03-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Nor do I want to "foot the bill" for folks receiving free-market benefits from their employers who have narrow and bigoted views.

Can we that that on the ballot in Novemeber as well?
If you want to do this, just try to get it through the North Carolina legislature, put it on the ballot and see how it flies. LOL This bill is legal. The one you want would not be.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
A few days ago, I heard rumor that there was an NC Constitutional Amendment that could be discussed here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
Not trying to start any political/religious fire here, but I thought this was a good summary of Amendment One that will be on the ballot May 8.

No matter which way you're voting, its important to understand what you're voting on, as best as possible.

How would Amendment One affect your life? | Cover | Creative Loafing Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
A quick note from the mod:

I understand that this is a state-wide issue, but voting will be done locally, so it's fine to discuss here. However, the expectation is that it will be discussed sanely, rationally and respectfully. Posts that steer the thread off-topic will likely be deleted, personal attacks will definitely be deleted, and if a political/religious "fire" DOES break out, I'll have no choice but to shut the thread down.

Let the discussion begin!
Whoops...

Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
If you want to do this, just try to get it through the North Carolina legislature, put it on the ballot and see how it flies. LOL This bill is legal. The one you want would not be.
The difference is...??

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
NCN

I think this bill is basically about what I stated in the post and I see it as a good bill and I don't understand anyone thinking this would keep any business that would be beneficial to our state out of North Carolina. I would think most businesses would be joyful of not having to decide whether anyone is eligible to be insured, etc., and know there is a legal ground to protect them from people that do not live by the law. Sometimes we just need things in writing so we can all know we are on the same page.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-03-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
I think this bill is basically about what I stated in the post and I see it as a good bill and I don't understand anyone thinking this would keep any business that would be beneficial to our state out of North Carolina. I would think most businesses would be joyful of not having to decide whether anyone is eligible to be insured, etc., and know there is a legal ground to protect them from people that do not live by the law. Sometimes we just need things in writing so we can all know we are on the same page.

If I was opening a business that needed a talented pool of employees I would not open said business in a state that would be viewed by potential job applicants as less desirable because the state had passed such a discriminatory amendment. I would want to open my business in a state with an environment that was inviting to all people and didn't treat a portion of the population, some of whom may be my best employee prospects (ie. high ed, creative class work force) as second class citizens. I would open my business in a a more open minded state if Amendment One were to pass.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-03-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If I was opening a business that needed a talented pool of employees I would not open said business in a state that would be viewed by potential job applicants as less desirable because the state had passed such a discriminatory amendment. I would want to open my business in a state with an environment that was inviting to all people and didn't treat a portion of the population, some of whom may be my best employee prospects (ie. high ed, creative class work force) as second class citizens. I would open my business in a a more open minded state if Amendment One were to pass.
^^This.

More and more businesses are covering domestic partnerships.

NCN, you said this:

"I would think most businesses would be joyful of not having to decide whether anyone is eligible to be insured, etc., and know there is a legal ground to protect them from people that do not live by the law."

First of all, they always decide whether or not someone is eligible to be insured. And as noted above, they may not like said law - there are other states that would be happy to have their business and have those jobs.

(sometimes it is so hard to follow the guidelines...I try, I try...tongue is about to fall off from all of the biting)

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
^^This.

More and more businesses are covering domestic partnerships.

NCN, you said this:

"I would think most businesses would be joyful of not having to decide whether anyone is eligible to be insured, etc., and know there is a legal ground to protect them from people that do not live by the law."

First of all, they always decide whether or not someone is eligible to be insured. And as noted above, they may not like said law - there are other states that would be happy to have their business and have those jobs.

(sometimes it is so hard to follow the guidelines...I try, I try...tongue is about to fall off from all of the biting)
Me too!
Attached Thumbnails
Summary of Amendment One - Vote May 8-costanza-popcorn.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary