Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
And if I have that correct, 5 points, Cameron park, and surrounding areas are the historic areas where the dirt is more valuable
That is an area.
Also Historic Oakwood, Boylan Heights, and much of the ITB area bounded by Hillsborough St., 440, 6 Forks Road, Capitol Blvd,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
There is a n'hood in Morrisville/West Cary that I had a client do a custom build. I believe there were a few lots left. Most of our homes sell for dollar per sq. ft. so I would caution you to be careful when building smaller than norm with the highest upgrades as that will be a hard re sale.

There is also a section in Bedford that has the larger, more upgraded homes for sale. Beautiful.

Vicki

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Snice these neighborhoods tend to be older or smaller, it is wise to consider the public amenities in the surrounding areas.
Often smaller neighborhoods tend to not have pools and other amenities which can be more affordable when financed by many more households.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is an area.
Also Historic Oakwood, Boylan Heights, and much of the ITB area bounded by Hillsborough St., 440, 6 Forks Road, Capitol Blvd,
And by "ITB area", he means "Inside the Beltline", i.e. inside the 440/40 (approximate) circle.

Sometimes people toss around acronyms they forget to explain to newcomers

Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 PM

203 posts, read 561,496 times
Default Briar Chapel?

Found this area. Seems a ways out (35 mins to GSK?)

Small nice houses, lots of stuff in the neighborhood, but no places to eat, not a walkable grocery, etc.

For ya'll that have been there a while, is this a a sucker development for Yankees to spend too much or a nice development that will hold value?

All other insights welcomed.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM

84 posts, read 160,013 times
Quote:

Small nice houses, lots of stuff in the neighborhood, but no places to eat, not a walkable grocery, etc.

For ya'll that have been there a while, is this a a sucker development for Yankees to spend too much or a nice development that will hold value?

(disclaimer: I live in Briar Chapel AND am a Yankee, so my opinion may be biased )

For the type of house you are looking for, I think Briar Chapel would be great. They just started the second phase, and most of the houses are in your size range, although most likely well under the 550K budget. And, still some lots left in the original phase if you don't want to be near so much construction. You could get a NICE 2400 sq ft house, with a ton of upgrades, and still be under your budget.

I can't really speak to the long-term value, although obviously I have some faith in it or I wouldn't have bought here. I looked into Briar Chapel for a couple years before buying, and my impression is that the development is shaping up nicely and at a good pace. It seems that lots in both the new & old phase are selling pretty quick, and it's nice that the main trails, the pool/clubhouse, and many parks are already completed. It doesn't have that "could go under at any moment" feeling that many new neighborhoods have had the last few years. Some people do think that it's overpriced for the lot/house size.... I prefer a small lot, so I don't mind that my money went for a nicer interior rather than a bigger lot, we are very happy here! They do have plans for a commercial area, but I think that is YEARS away. Having to drive to stores/grocery doesn't bother me much, but if it's important to you I'd look elsewhere.

Have you looked into Southern Village? It is in Orange County (closer to Chapel Hill), and while more expensive may have the kind of house you want AND it has a "town" area with grocery, movie theater, restaurants, etc. I think the houses are about 10-15 years old, but they have many that are in the size range you're looking at, seem very well-kept with nice interiors, and are a similar style to those at Briar Chapel.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:

There's no reason on earth to drive that far to get to GSK. Tons of nice homes within about 15 minutes (including average traffic).

Have you looked in Carpenter Village here in Cary? Or maybe you could try Highcroft Village?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraVega View Post
(

Have you looked into Southern Village? It is in Orange County (closer to Chapel Hill), and while more expensive may have the kind of house you want AND it has a "town" area with grocery, movie theater, restaurants, etc. I think the houses are about 10-15 years old, but they have many that are in the size range you're looking at, seem very well-kept with nice interiors, and are a similar style to those at Briar Chapel.
Ill take a look at this.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There's no reason on earth to drive that far to get to GSK. Tons of nice homes within about 15 minutes (including average traffic).

Have you looked in Carpenter Village here in Cary? Or maybe you could try Highcroft Village?
Will do. The commute seems great, it is the nearby walkable stuff that I am struggling with....

Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,571 times
There is also Wedgewood neighborhood in Cary by Garman homes that you might consider. Those homes seem to be smaller in size -- they are also well under your budget. It is a very small neighborhood so doesn't have any amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary