Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 18,960 times

Advertisements

Before I invest a night on hold with technical support just wanted to check and see if anyone else is experiencing this occasional problem with the DVR: You're playing back a show when two shows are supposed to start recording at the same time. As they start recording the DVR stops what is playing back and switches to one of the shows. After going back to the list of recorded shows and "resuming play" of the show you were watching it starts back at the beginning.

This just started recently which makes me think they did a software "improvement" or maybe my machine is beginning a slow death march. Anyone else having this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM

286 posts, read 748,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightop View Post
Before I invest a night on hold with technical support just wanted to check and see if anyone else is experiencing this occasional problem with the DVR: You're playing back a show when two shows are supposed to start recording at the same time. As they start recording the DVR stops what is playing back and switches to one of the shows. After going back to the list of recorded shows and "resuming play" of the show you were watching it starts back at the beginning.

This just started recently which makes me think they did a software "improvement" or maybe my machine is beginning a slow death march. Anyone else having this problem?

The exact scenario you described happened to me last night at 9pm.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
Did you hear any loud booms when it happened?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM

26 posts, read 61,770 times
Happened several times to us, too. Other times the DVR would start recording an hour-long show, then just quit 10 minutes into it, or tape the beginning of the show perfectly, "scramble" the middle, then finish recording the end of the show. Went and got a different one today - hopefully this one will be OK.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,063,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AireRed View Post
Happened several times to us, too. Other times the DVR would start recording an hour-long show, then just quit 10 minutes into it, or tape the beginning of the show perfectly, "scramble" the middle, then finish recording the end of the show. Went and got a different one today - hopefully this one will be OK.
This happened to us recently. TWC tech diagnosed it as low signal level coupled with the way switched digital video feeds work. He added an inside powered amp and the problem appears fixed.

I did hear a boom when he fixed it, but it was around 2PM. I thought at the time that the tech had beans for lunch.

Frank

Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 AM

86 posts, read 323,845 times
We have been having the exact same problem for the past month. It's time to call TWC.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
This happened to us recently. TWC tech diagnosed it as low signal level coupled with the way switched digital video feeds work. He added an inside powered amp and the problem appears fixed.

I did hear a boom when he fixed it, but it was around 2PM. I thought at the time that the tech had beans for lunch.

Frank
Be careful with those powered amps...if your internet line is running thru them, they have the potential to "dirty" up your signal

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 AM

770 posts, read 2,750,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightop View Post

You can AFAIK , only do two things at once - record 2 while watching 1 of the recording shows, record 1 and watch a different one,record one and watch a recording etc

Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,063,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
You can AFAIK , only do two things at once - record 2 while watching 1 of the recording shows, record 1 and watch a different one,record one and watch a recording etc
Not entirely true. The DVR limitation is that it has two tuners - so you can record two shows and watch a third show if that third show has been previously recorded in your list. This works because you don't need an additional tuner to watch a show already recorded. You could not record two shows and watch a different show live as that would require a third tuner.

FWIW - There is an additional workaround here too. Since most HDTVs have a tuner - you can split the signal and run one directly to your TV and the other to your DVR. This would allow you to watch any broadcast unencrypted channel via the tuner in your TV and simultaneously record two different channels on your DVR.

Frank

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,376,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post

Yep, we had the same thing happen and at that same time, too! We were watching last week's Top Gear and 2 shows started recording right at 9. Top Gear stopped and we were transferred to one of the shows that was recording.
The only difference for us was that when we restarted Top Gear, it didn't go back to the begining. It went to the place we had started it from as we had watched the first 30min sometime earlier in the week and jumped in there last night.

I've had various other issues with the TWC DVR, such as it "falling in love" with a show and recording every episode of a day-long marathon, even if the shows aren't marked as 'new' and the series manager says to only record new ones. However, I've never had this problem before. Good to know it's not only us.

I will say though, that there are certain features of the TWC DVR that I really apprecate - especially when it doesn't for some reason record a show (or only just part of it) it will automatically record the show if it's on again at a different time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary