Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times

Advertisements

again, it all depended on where you live. as stated before, our elementary hadn't changed in 14 years and the middle school & high school has only changed once. Yet neighbors were able to get their kids into magnets by choice if they wanted.

Now that there is a choice program, no idea where things are at -- we don't have any kids going into K here so can't answer whether or not the 'neighborhood' school stood up as a choice.

as another poster stated - time will tell whether this is a better system or not. and it'll work the wrinkles out. personally, if I had to live in wake county, I'd move to an existing home in a node with little development going on -- that is going to be the most stable.

guess you can't have both worlds - - new house and stable schooling...imho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM

36 posts, read 69,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post

personally, if I had to live in wake county, I'd move to an existing home in a node with little development going on -- that is going to be the most stable.

I actually don't have a preference for a new house, being that the older homes are often better built imo. You may have a good strategy there.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post

That strategy used to work. The reason people are flipping out is that no one has a "base school anymore" - at least on paper.
I am still not following how we can afford so many buses going to so many schools.
I'd love to see some data on whether most nodes have kids going to one or two certain schools, or if, indeed, there are 5 elementary buses driving through each neighborhood, 5 middle school buses, 5 high school buses.
That will be interesting.

I love the idea that the schools should be equivalent- that no school will be truly "bad"
But we can't quantify the value of the sense of community you feel as you and your neighbors go to meet the teacher night or a band concert or track meet together.
Will we get that?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
That strategy used to work.
No, it never did - not consistenly. Widespread growth in the county impacted school assignements even in otherwise established areas.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I am still not following how we can afford so many buses going to so many schools.
I'd love to see some data on whether most nodes have kids going to one or two certain schools, or if, indeed, there are 5 elementary buses driving through each neighborhood, 5 middle school buses, 5 high school buses.
?
Well, they can't which is why they tried to change the bell schedules of some of the schools this year. Of course they disputed that was the reason, but as you stated, let's face facts - between school choice, people not getting the same selection as neighbors, and magnet schools, you WILL have neighborhoods with multiple buses running through them. It's so dumb and I can't believe they didn't see this coming.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Maybe Wake county should just go back to the way it was before back in the 90's and early 00's. Sure it inconvenienced some but overall and by in large most schools were top notch as far as test scores were concerned. And to prospective people moving to a large city, especially in the south Wake County was hard to beat as far as assuring your child got a good education from a public school, it was well known nationwide that Raleigh/Wake county schools were great. I graduated about ten years ago and can tell you I am saddened as to the debacle this whole ordeal has become. Makes no sense.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I would like to know how much money this new system is costing the district. It must have taken a lot of manpower to set this system up, not to mention computer programmers to write programs to launch it and keep track of it, buses/gas to transport everyone in dozens of directions, staff to answer residents' questions, etc.

Why didn't they just set boundaries like most other school systems in the country do? I'm outside the system, but it's like a trainwreck, and I can't look away.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, it never did - not consistenly. Widespread growth in the county impacted school assignements even in otherwise established areas.
it worked in downtown raleigh extremely well, until about 3 years ago.

If the number one criteria to your living situation is school stability AND quality, then clearly there's only 1 place for you to live:

Chapel Hill/carrboro school system.

Whether you can afford the house you want or not would be immaterial. You'd accept far less house in order to accomplish your #1 task.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
If the number one criteria to your living situation is school stability AND quality, then clearly there's only 1 place for you to live: Chapel Hill/carrboro school system.
Nope, it's not available there either. Yes, it's more stable than Wake County, but the CHCCS adds new schools too, and when they do attendance boundaries shift. Growth yields change. Everywhere.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
It's a long story. Basically they did'nt do the whole boundary thing years past because traditionally you end up with schools in the affluent areas that were "Good schools" (The best Grades, teachers, programs,attendance, less rowdy kids) and then in the economically challenged areas the "Bad schools" (Poor attendance, bad grades, not so great teachers possibly) i.e. Chicago, New York, Charlotte, Atlanta..... Most cities are set up this way and the results speak for themselves. Soooo.... Wake county switched everything up many years ago by looking at all the schools and distributing those kids from middle and upper middle class to schools reasonably closeby (but not the closest sometimes)schools And mixing in kids from lower middle and poorer areas in. So that by in large no particular school or area of town was worse off as far as the schools were concerned. The county flourished and schools had great record of having excelling standards for many many years. Then overcrowding came in the late 90's and early 2000's the newly moved in affluent transplants started griping that their kids went to school too far away although in many cases it was just a couple of miles. And then the whole thing came tumbling down, And they keep trying, and keep trying to get it right. Meanwhile the accolades Wake County Schools used to garner went the way of the Cassette Tape :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary