Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM

141 posts, read 675,078 times

Advertisements

So, since moving to Downtown I have noticed that I get a lot of people asking me for money, but not in the usual way. I am from Manhattan, so I am used to a certain "type" of panhandling. The unique strategy employed by the people I come across is to preface it, "Excuse me sir, can you help me out? As you can see [pointing to typically nice, clean clothing] I am not a bum." Then he proceeds to tell me how a) his car has a flat tire, and he need $28.07, or b) his mother [pointing to the older woman standing next to him] needs bus far in the amount of $7.42, or c) he is out of gas, his daughter is in the car, and he needs $3.27. It is always some specific amount. After I proceed to tell them I have no wallet on me (I am usually out walking my dog when I am approached), they then ask me where I live, and if I can go home and get them money! I respond I usually don't keep cash at home. Their response - can you get it out of an ATM?

If this happened to me once, I'd say fine, maybe they really did need money for a specific purpose. Twice and I would be suspicious. But more than three times in a week? Is there some sort of collusion going on between Durham panhandler's that requires them to use this convoluted back story in order to obtain cash? Has anyone else run across this, or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
So, since moving to Downtown I have noticed that I get a lot of people asking me for money, but not in the usual way. I am from Manhattan, so I am used to a certain "type" of panhandling. The unique strategy employed by the people I come across is to preface it, "Excuse me sir, can you help me out? As you can see [pointing to typically nice, clean clothing] I am not a bum." Then he proceeds to tell me how a) his car has a flat tire, and he need $28.07, or b) his mother [pointing to the older woman standing next to him] needs bus far in the amount of $7.42, or c) he is out of gas, his daughter is in the car, and he needs $3.27. It is always some specific amount. After I proceed to tell them I have no wallet on me (I am usually out walking my dog when I am approached), they then ask me where I live, and if I can go home and get them money! I respond I usually don't keep cash at home. Their response - can you get it out of an ATM?

If this happened to me once, I'd say fine, maybe they really did need money for a specific purpose. Twice and I would be suspicious. But more than three times in a week? Is there some sort of collusion going on between Durham panhandler's that requires them to use this convoluted back story in order to obtain cash? Has anyone else run across this, or is it just me?
I would think that with the price of gas they would stick to the bus or ran out of gas story

Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

141 posts, read 675,078 times
The thing that further puzzles me about their speech is that they get almost pissed when I say that I have no ATM card on me (not that I would go with them and withdraw from my ATM in any case). They never believe me when I say I don't carry my wallet or ATM card on me. To that, I want to reply - if you are reasonably well off yourself (see the preface to their speech), and, furthermore, you have a vehicle, and presumably a home (and even offer to pay me back!), why don't YOU carry around a wallet/ATM card/cash?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,494 times
I ran across this when I lived in Tulsa. I guess the story makes some people feel guilty or sympathetic, so it's bound to work sometimes. Asking for a specific amount makes it seem more legitimate. But if your gut says that they're lying, then I'd trust your instincts.

When my best friend encounters these people, she just says, "Sorry. Can't help ya." No further explanation. And if she has to say it more than once until they get the point, she will.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,527 times
Wow, those are some imaginative panhandlers.

The worst ones I ever encountered were in San Francisco. Walking from the ferry building to my office, I had to step over countless druggies, winos and the like and none of them *asked* for money. The demanded it!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,922,857 times
I had a guy approach me in downtown Durham asking for $6 or something because he said there was going to be some kind of medical clinic at the homeless shelter that day but that it cost a little money for it and he wanted to go to the clinic. He looked homeless. I gave him the $6, but I don't know if there really was a clinic or not.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
It could be just professionals such as students who are following the fad that hit Chapel Hill as described in this post in a different thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/552177-post36.html

Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
mdm

78 posts, read 386,780 times
Yes, this happened to us once outside the Ruby Tuesday near Southpoint. We thought it was a little weird, and we also had no cash... so we couldn't help. I actually felt a little bad for him afterwards, but now I'm thinking the whole story was made up!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
They've been using this scheme around here in the triangle FOREVER. Another one they like to pull is the "I'm a soldier and came to town to blow off steam for the weekend. My ride left and I need bus fare back to Bragg" or "the flat tire story" or the "I have a job interview and my car broke down on 40 and I need money to get it towed!" or "I'm a first aid worker heading down to help Katrina victims when my car died"!
They want to pull on your heartstrings and make you feel like you are helping out someone "deserving". It'a a lie. I used to fall for it until I acually heard several of the same stories from diffrent people all in one night in downtown Raleigh and then again in Chapel Hill.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
I've seen this several times at the Super walmart on New Hope Church Rd in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary