U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM

89 posts, read 103,289 times
Default Recommendations for private elementary school near ITB area

Ok we have finally decided to move to Raleigh this summer (late July) and I need to find a school for my rising 1st grade daughter. We will try to find a rental ITB and if our public school options don't work out we'll go private for a couple years. Currently she is in a private non-religious girls school in the NE with 12 kids in her section, and it is pretty academically oriented. For reference, if we lived closer I think we'd choose Durham academy but that is a pretty far drive. Is there anything similar near west Raleigh, Cary, or RTP?

We'd like something without a religious affiliation, single sex or coed is ok, diverse, may consider Montessori, and prefer a school teaches kids how to think versus very traditional approaches.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM

906 posts, read 1,376,123 times
Cary Academy?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
rfb

1,284 posts, read 3,119,828 times
In Raleigh, there is Ravenscroft, and in Cary there is Cary Academy. Both are excellent private schools. If you are living ITB, either should be a slightly long, but reasonable, drive.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

477 posts, read 740,388 times
The Raleigh School in west Raleigh.
The Raleigh School

Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 2,268,288 times
Yeah, I was going to suggest the Raleigh School, too. I've known a couple of teachers there and they're both great.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM

2,245 posts, read 5,672,750 times
Cary Academy does not have an elementary school.

I have several friends who have been very happy with the Montessori School of Raleigh. It is a little north, not ITB.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM

235 posts, read 274,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
Cary Academy does not have an elementary school.

I have several friends who have been very happy with the Montessori School of Raleigh. It is a little north, not ITB.
I second Montessori School of Raleigh.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,720,110 times
I've been observing in Montessori schools in the area this month. I was extremely impressed with Follow the Child on Ridge Rd. It was Montessori implemented at it's finest. They are adding a second Lower Elementary class in the fall which should have no more than 10 students in it. I highly recommend it!

If you can get in that neighborhood and get into Lacy or Olds, (public) that is good too.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 AM

89 posts, read 103,289 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't realize how many Montessori schools are in the area. I am not sure want to do that since we have never done Montessori, so it might be too much of an adjustment, in addition to a big move, for our daughter. We are going to try for Lacy or Olds elementary but I am not getting my hopes up. We do have 2 more toddlers so I hope they can start start Kindergarten at one of these schools.

Does anyone have personal experience with the Raleigh School or one of the Montessori programs? Also can someone tell me how to search for the "Raleigh school" on this forum - I just get threads with Raleigh and school in the same message - not helpful. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,527,548 times
The link was already posted. I also found them on google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
The Raleigh School in west Raleigh.
The Raleigh School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary