Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 28,845 times

Advertisements

We have just relcoated from Memphis. We had to make a quick decision when we came to visit for a week.....so we ended up in Cary. I based my decision primarily on the school choices for my 3rd grader. She is presently at Greenhope Elementary. Well my family is experiencing a complete "culture shock". We feel as though we have moved to the Northeast. This area is southern by geography ONLY! Needless to say, we will not buy/build a home here. I am sure there are many that come to Cary and LOVE it....and I can appreciate that. However, it is NOT a place where we want to exist permanantly.

Where are some other areas with charming homes (renovated older houses)......maybe in a more "urban" area....an area with PERSONLAITY that are still in a good school district? Durham is out of the questions.....SCHOOLS! I am not totally opposed to living in a suburb...maybe Northwest Raleigh (???)....if it is NOT like Cary! We don't care about eating at chain restaurants and shopping at malls. We would like to be in more "unique" surroundings.

Last edited by New to Carolina; 09-17-2007 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Inside the beltline north of downtown Raleigh, Chapel Hill, certain parts of Durham fit what you are looking for I'd say

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 28,845 times
What is "inside the beltline"? Please excuse my ignorance!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:21 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Look at Raleigh, inside the beltline. It's the older part of the city with more unique homes and a more centralized feel. Look at a map of Raleigh, you will see the road I-440. That is the beltline and it basically makes a complete circle around the inner/older part of the city. Everything inside the loop is considered "inside the beltline" (or IBT" for short).
There are plenty of more unique homes there and a lot of the schools are magnets which are generally highly regarded around here.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM

281 posts, read 1,107,951 times
save a couple hundred thousand and look at the historic area of Fuquay Varina...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I only suggested IBT because the OP stated she wanted something more "urban". Fuquay, while beautiful, definitely isn't what I would call urban .

Old 09-17-2007, 06:27 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
I second Inside the Beltline and Chapel Hill. Inside the Beltline is unique and urban for Raleigh and has renovated older homes. Chapel Hill isn't all that urban but has alot of character and a certain uniqueness to it. They have renovated homes and their schools are excellent. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
ITB...........Hayes Barton, Historic Oakwood, Boylan Heights, Anderson Heights, Mordecai, Five Points, Glenwood South/Brooklyn, Bloomsbury, Country Club Hills, University Park, Budleigh,

If you don't like Cary, you might find that NW Raleigh offers many of the same amenities and similar personality.
But there are neighborhoods worth considering.
You might like Bridgeton Park, Arden Forest, Harbourgate, Olde Raleigh, Brookhaven, Laurel Manor, Inman Park, North Hills, Stonehenge, Heritage Point, But I think the first 7-8 will keep you closer to that urban experience quite handily.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
You haven't mentioned your price point. You'll find that the homes ITB tend to be quite a bit more expensive than in Cary. However, if you can afford it, I think you'll like ITB much better than where you are now.

You should not discount Durham. There are some good schools there. There are also areas that have a more urban feel, as well as areas with a more suburban vibe.

You might also like Chapel Hill or Carrboro. Homes there are also a bit pricier, but you'll probably like the atmosphere more than what you've found in Cary.

Since you're new to the area, I urge you to drive around. Visit the many communities that make up the Triangle. You'll probably find something you like. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 AM

62 posts, read 197,185 times
I agree with MrsSteel, don't go bashing Durham. Durham has some pretty good areas. It is also re-buliding its valuable reputation to compete with the capital. Southpoint/Hope Valley/Woodcroft area is a nice area, Hwy 70/Miami Blvd.(Bethesda area) is a nice area as well.

Maybe you should try areas around NC State by the fairground area. It's pretty "urban" with nice older homes in great condition (from what I can see). They have beautiful neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary