Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Now that I think about it...there is probably a study somewhere discussing WHAT TYPE OF CAR YOU DRIVE AND WHAT IT MEANS ABOUT YOU!!!

Vicki
Ask and Ye shall receive, Vicki! I remember reading this a few weeks ago.

On the road to love… - MSN Dating & Personals

And you can also tease your husband because they specifically call out people who drive red convertibles. I drive a blue convertible, so I guess that's close enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
Gimme a break! Self-involved? If these soccer mom's were so self-involved, they would hire a "Mommy's helper" to cart their kids around to extra-curricular activities in beat up late model supras rather than take their kids to practice themselves.

I'm sure the soccer mom's of the world only wish they were so "self-involved". If that were the case, they'd be hanging out at Nordstrom with personal shoppers, sipping on a iced non-fat latte while the kiddies are practicing soccer and doing homework with said "mommy's helper". My friend has one - a college student - piercings, pink hair and the beat up car. My friend happily shops, dines and drinks coffee while her kids exercise, dance, play music and learn mathematics. She avoids the "soccer mom" moniker like the plague, but also misses out on the most wonderful times of her kids lives.

sad.

way to go, soccer moms!!!
Hey, I am talking about the stereotype... not how I feel about a category I fit into myself!

I think we are seen as self involved b/c our conversation is about every little thing the kids do, & not much about the rest of the world.

I say this as a mini van driving mom with 3 kids in youth sports, including travel sports. No nanny. but I need the lattes for all the driving!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I think we are seen as self involved b/c our conversation is about every little thing the kids do, & not much about the rest of the world.
You just hit the nail on the head, NYer.

Just being a mother who drives your kids to soccer practice in a mini-van does NOT make you a "Soccer Mom". It's about a certain mindset - usually a bit snobby & overly-obsessed with one's children. You know those parents who get into fist fights at children's sporting events? In my opinion, they are the ultimate "soccer parents".

Old 09-23-2007, 06:18 PM

200 posts, read 915,106 times
That's funny. I didn't see these posts before... I am a stay-at-home mom now. I am not offended...but then, I could hardly qualify as a 'soccer mom' since I don't have my kids in 12 different activities; and although I love them, I don't talk about them to anyone who'll listen. I do think it is important to expose kids to a number of different activities & interests...but I will never be one of these hyper-scheduled moms. Of course there really are practical reasons for driving bigger cars when you are carrying kids around...I wouldn't take offense if someone mentioned your car.

There are some moms who play into the whole 'mommy perfection' image...and all they talk about is mommy-hood...and how any & everything relates to them & their kids. These are the moms that tend to want to 'out-mommy' each other; and have a hard time rembering that they are also women (independent of mother's & wives). I tend to think of these as 'soccer mom'-types. What's funny to me, is that polititians targeted this group as a demographic when 'W' ran the first time...but then in the last election, decided it would be more benificial for them to target the newly formed 'security moms' demographic group. I just think it's kind of funny...

Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Ask and Ye shall receive, Vicki! I remember reading this a few weeks ago.

On the road to love… - MSN Dating & Personals

And you can also tease your husband because they specifically call out people who drive red convertibles. I drive a blue convertible, so I guess that's close enough.
OMG! Too funny! However, hubby drives the red sports car AND the jeep SUV...maybe he has a two sided personality? Or maybe it just depends on which day of the week it is? And my car personality just simply doesn't match! But it was fun to read!

So, NewUser...are you the flashy type in your blue convertible???

One of my friends recently sent me a joke about what type of TREE are you...now THAT made sense! NOT!!!

Vicki

Old 09-23-2007, 07:21 PM

86 posts, read 141,830 times
Default Mini-van families are typically more caring for others!

We own a minivan and we are darn proud of it too. What is more practical than a new/used minivan? Nothing! You get the most bang for your buck. We owned a SUV and it was ok. However, out minivan can tow, haul tons of junk inside with seats reclined/removed. We have good gas mileage and we can haul a bunch of people. The vehicle drives like a cadillac.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
So, NewUser...are you the flashy type in your blue convertible???
Nah. I'm a geeky SW engineer. We're all introverts

My first 4 cars were all sensible 4-door family sedans. Then one day my wife said "Honey, I think that we should start a family". I was 42 and thought to myself. . . . "I'd better get that sports car now, or I never will!". By the time my kids get out of college I'll be one of those old men wearing a hat that everyone curses at for going 5mph under the speed limit.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Nah. I'm a geeky SW engineer. We're all introverts

My first 4 cars were all sensible 4-door family sedans. Then one day my wife said "Honey, I think that we should start a family". I was 42 and thought to myself. . . . "I'd better get that sports car now, or I never will!". By the time my kids get out of college I'll be one of those old men wearing a hat that everyone curses at for going 5mph under the speed limit.
We had our kids when we were young and now that all but one has gown up (well, I use the term "grown up" loosely), we've decided they just want our money so we are going to spend it as fast as we can!!!

So, hubby IS that old looking guy in the flashy red car!!!

Vicki

Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 AM

12 posts, read 39,967 times
Ok Soccer mom has noting to do with the activities their kids play or what type of car to drive. Although that is what it used to mean.

Soccer mom= woman with kid who walks round with her nose up in the air thinking they and their kids are so much better then everyone else. The like to point and snicker at other people who are different from them, and act like a bunch of snotty high school girls on the court yard gossiping and carrying on. They are narrow minded and cant see past other people exteriors or socioeconomic status to recognize that they have value and deserve to be treated with respect.

I myself am a stay at home mom, if someone called me a soccer mom yeah i would probably be offended, although I highly doubt that would happen. I also would die before I got behind the wheel of a mini-van. I am much like a guy, and feel that what you drive says a lot about your personality, it isn't just something to get from point A to point B with. If I am going to be driving my kids all over town I might as well drive something I really like right??

just my 2 cents

Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
LOL this thread is AWESOME!

I personally try to stay AWAY as much as possible from soccer moms with their minivans mostly because they are usually bad drivers (either they are on a cell phone or they are watching/talking to their kids instead of paying attention to traffic). And I REALLY stay away from the ones who are obsessed about their kids and think the entire world needs to know about them. AH, and what's up with the Harris Teeter "Cars with children parking" taking most of the front parking spots, gimme a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary