Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 43,626 times

Advertisements

I would LOVE to learn how to stand up paddleboard, but have not had much luck searching for a place to take a beginner lesson and rent a SUP for a reasonable price. I found Triangle Glides (who also do the downtown segway tours) but their price for a beginner lesson is $60 for a 90min lesson. Is this average? It seems like it costs more to SUP than say, kayaing where I have seen I can rent a kayak on some of the small lakes (Bond, Lake Crabtree) for under $10 per hour.
Any advice on where I could find lessons and rentals a little bit cheaper?

-I don't mind driving within 45min-1 hour of the Cary area

Thanks!!
=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
Too bad you didn't ask this a couple of weeks ago! I saw something on this on either Groupon or Living Social. It's gone now.

Found this place by googling, but it is $99 for 2 hrs:
Ride Stride - RaleighIntroSUP

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimster View Post
I would LOVE to learn how to stand up paddleboard, but have not had much luck searching for a place to take a beginner lesson and rent a SUP for a reasonable price. I found Triangle Glides (who also do the downtown segway tours) but their price for a beginner lesson is $60 for a 90min lesson. Is this average? It seems like it costs more to SUP than say, kayaing where I have seen I can rent a kayak on some of the small lakes (Bond, Lake Crabtree) for under $10 per hour.
Any advice on where I could find lessons and rentals a little bit cheaper?

-I don't mind driving within 45min-1 hour of the Cary area

Thanks!!
=)
A couple of points:

When renting a kayak at Bond Park or Lake Crabtree, you are only renting the item.
The SUP rate you quote includes lesson instruction, and that person offering lessons needs to be compensated.

Furthermore, Lake Crabtree and Bond Park are publicly-owned and not-for-profit, so the fees are friendly.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 43,626 times
Haha @ Staitlover, I know! I saw that deal on groupon or living social and for some reason didn’t buy it thinking another one would come along. Whooopsie! I have been keeping my eye out for more of those deals, but of course there haven’t been any since then…Thanks for the new link though

@MikeJaquish, I realize the one I posted included a lesson and rental. I am trying to find a place I can go take one beginner lesson, and then a place to rent a SUP from then on – at a reasonable price.

Has anyone ever done the renting thing with REI? Do they even rent out SUPs?
Thanks =)

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 30,530 times
My kids and I did the intro thing with Triangle Glides (albeit with a Groupon) and I have to say it was well worth it. I would feel very comfortable going out on my own after the lesson. Plus the folks at Triangle Glides were great!

You might want to look into Great Outdoor Provision at Cameron Village. I think they rent SUP's. I recently saw something (or got an e-mail) about someone doing a "demo" at a local lake. You might be able to track this down (sorry, I can't remember any of the specifics).

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 30,530 times
Found the demo thing. It was Great Outdoor Provision Company.

SUP Demos: Triangle Area « Great Outdoor Provision Co. Clothing, Apparel and Gear for Camping, Hiking, Paddling, Kayak Fishing, Climbing, Fly Fishing, Running, Disc Golf & Travel

Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
OP, there is an offer on Living Social today for lessons. Stride SUP, $45 for a 2-hr lesson including all gear.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
There is a new SUP group on Meetup.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Why would you need a lesson? Just rent one and teach yourself, it doesn't look complicated.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Triangle Glides are really great and I would recommend them. I did a really fun Segway tour with them and plan to do the SUP next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary