Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 11:06 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

For those of you interested I share with you the updated murder map for Maryland. This documents all of the murders in the state thus far for 2007. What is significant is that buried in the murder areas is the third wealthiest county in the country and Maryland is now the wealthiest state get real we are paying how much to live here? When you can move to the triangle. Believe me I am on my way, others are here and when they can sell I know many more who are coming. Oh this is crime you should see the congestion map. Folks in the Triangle you have all the good up here and much less of the negative. I know folks who have moved and they are verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy happy. You need to minimize and scroll to the left. This was saved from a close up of the Eastern shore which is nice

Murders in Maryland and D.C., 2007

[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:34 AM

9 posts, read 38,517 times
Yowza! At first I thought "oh that's not bad" until....I scrolled farther left. Wow! I'm curious what Phoenix or Milwaukee would look like. Do they have that for other areas?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:06 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
For those of you interested I share with you the updated murder map for Maryland. This documents all of the murders in the state thus far for 2007. What is significant is that buried in the murder areas is the third wealthiest county in the country and Maryland is now the wealthiest state get real we are paying how much to live here? When you can move to the triangle. Believe me I am on my way, others are here and when they can sell I know many more who are coming. Oh this is crime you should see the congestion map. Folks in the Triangle you have all the good up here and much less of the negative. I know folks who have moved and they are verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy happy. You need to minimize and scroll to the left. This was saved from a close up of the Eastern shore which is nice

Murders in Maryland and D.C., 2007

[

The 3rd wealthiest county you're talking about must be Montgomery county. You know they only had 15 murders last year and for a county of about 900,000 people I would consider that to be pretty good. Fairfax county, VA (across the river) only had 19 murders and they have a population of over 1,000,000 and are the 1st or 2nd (depending on puplication) richest county in the nation. The county that has all the murders is Prince George's county, besides DC which we all already know about. PG county has always had a problem with severe crime since the 1970's (since the flight of many African Americans from Southeast DC). So again nothing new here and I would be suprised that people would be moving from the wealthy suburbs of DC to escape crime. I moved here from NoVA to escape high prices and horrible traffic. Crime was never as issue at all. Wake and Durham counties both had more murders then Fairfax last year and both are smaller counties in population, with Durham being 1/4 the population and almost double the amount of murders as Fairfax. I hate to say it, but there is probably more property and violent crime here then were I came from in VA. It doesn't affect me where I live in NW Raleigh, but I work in a VERY shady area.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default Howard is 3rd wealthiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The 3rd wealthiest county you're talking about must be Montgomery county. You know they only had 15 murders last year and for a county of about 900,000 people I would consider that to be pretty good. Fairfax county, VA (across the river) only had 19 murders and they have a population of over 1,000,000 and are the 1st or 2nd (depending on puplication) richest county in the nation. The county that has all the murders is Prince George's county, besides DC which we all already know about. PG county has always had a problem with severe crime since the 1970's (since the flight of many African Americans from Southeast DC). So again nothing new here and I would be suprised that people would be moving from the wealthy suburbs of DC to escape crime. I moved here from NoVA to escape high prices and horrible traffic. Crime was never as issue at all. Wake and Durham counties both had more murders then Fairfax last year and both are smaller counties in population, with Durham being 1/4 the population and almost double the amount of murders as Fairfax. I hate to say it, but there is probably more property and violent crime here then were I came from in VA. It doesn't affect me where I live in NW Raleigh, but I work in a VERY shady area.
Howard is the 3rd wealthiest in the county and has low crime. However it is wedged between Baltimore City and Prince Georges County. Montgomery is close to high crime areas. So much of the population is concentrated in the Baltimore/Wash corridor which is major traffic and losing suburban areas like crazy. What was suburban is becoming called low density urban etc etc. Great places to live and shop but not everywhere. Those that are become very expensive.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 PM

187 posts, read 803,249 times
Default Dude, I'm right there with ya!!!

I totally understand the move to the triangle because of those numbers in Maryland. We moved to the triangle this year from the Philadelphia, PA area and the murder rate there this year is higher per capita than NYC & New Orleans. It was crazy watching the nightly news there. The shootings even happened in broad daylight. I used to have no fear going into the city. Now that I have kids I can't imagine trying it. Lots of random crime in Philly even in the nice parts. It is such a relief to have my kiddies here and not really have to worry daily / hourly about that kind of crime. It's nice to be able to walk outside and not have to look over my shoulder etc.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
My reason for moving to Raleigh was 1) I got a job offer here straight out of college, 2) the warm winter climate.
Cost-of-living had little to do with it (except that I didn't want to move to California because of the prices out there).
Crime had little to do with it (except that I grew up in small towns, so I didn't want to move to a huge megalopolis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary