U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2007, 08:41 PM

232 posts, read 485,544 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been reading some information, and I am little confused as to what the deal is with the schools there? This is my only concern. My girls will be attending elementary school in a few years, and I would hope they would be able to attend the same school? Is this the case?

Where we live now, the area has blue ribbon schools, some of the best in PA (Bucks County). I would hate to give that up to relocate to a school system in trouble? Also I am not familiar with the year round school? Or what is a magnet school?

sorry for all the questions-
Also, we really like Heritage in Wake Forest. Where would my girls be assigned for elementary school? Would they be in 2 different schools?

How far is Heritage to the airport? What neighborhoods with good schools for 500-600K price range? In cary?

Last edited by bostongirl; 09-22-2007 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: want to add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongirl View Post
Hi, I've been reading some information, and I am little confused as to what the deal is with the schools there? This is my only concern. My girls will be attending elementary school in a few years, and I would hope they would be able to attend the same school? Is this the case?

Where we live now, the area has blue ribbon schools, some of the best in PA (Bucks County). I would hate to give that up to relocate to a school system in trouble? Also I am not familiar with the year round school? Or what is a magnet school?

Also, we really like Heritage in Wake Forest. Where would my girls be assigned for elementary school? Would they be in 2 different schools?

How far is Heritage to the airport? What neighborhoods with good schools for 500-600K price range? In cary?
WOW I don't know what a Blue Ribbon school is but it sounds impressive. You have choice in schools in NC. Traditional which are you Sept. to May schools or year round which are basically 6 weeks on and 3 weeks off or private school which I believe are all traditional calendar schools.

It is hard to say what school they would go to as it changes almost every year due to the growth. Even if they started school today they may be switched in a year or two. If you come here you must be flexible. The schools are trying their best to handle the growth. We've lived here almost 5 years now and I'm not 100% sure what a magnet school is so don't feel bad!

Heritage is a beautiful sub divisions and for your price range you can get something right on a fairway.

I'll have to let my friends from Cary answer for Cary and their schools. I do know they call it, Consolidated Area Relocated Yankees.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 PM

997 posts, read 3,010,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongirl View Post

Schools are districted by the county here. If you live in Wake Forest you might not necessarily be assigned to Wake Forest schools but somewhere neighboring. They will not bus you across the county to lets say Cary for instance. Your children will attend the same schools unless you choose to send them somewhere different or if you have on in elementary or one in middle or high school.

Not every school is year round. Year round means your child will go to school for nine weeks and have three weeks off consistently throughout the year. There are 4 different tracks with different three week periods off. Most people like track 4 because you get more of the summer off and it resembles more of the traditional calendar. You don't have to go year round if you don't want too.

Wake County has a very good website that explains everything in detail. Wake County Public School System.

Heritage is about 30 minutes to the airport.

Some nice Cary neighborhoods in your price range are Preston, Lochmere, MacGregor, Cary Park, Wessex, Carpenter Village. There is alot of new construction in your price range as well with atleast a few dozen neighborhoods. Given your price range, you won't have a problem finding housing in the Triangle at all.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM

National Blue Ribbon School Award for academic excellence

Old 09-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Yes great thanks! This helps so much. I was actually on the website for Wake county schools. We previously lived in Charlotte (Union County), and i read one thread, where a mom, moved back to Union County to get away from Wake County schools...

I am familiar with Union County, however I know nothing about Wake County Schools

Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 AM

32 posts, read 65,394 times
Default We moved to Heritage from Georgetown MA 5 years ago

Boston Girl -

We moved here five years ago from the Boston area and settled in Heritage. There are several schools you can attend when you live in Heritage as the neighborhood is large enough have have multiple zones. Our house is zoned for Wake Forest elementary which is a year round school and magnified charter school. There is also Heritage Elementary and Jones Dairy that are year round programs. Finally, there is Franklin Academy that is a charter school. Our two daugthers attend Heritage (we applied) and we love the flexibility of the year-round program.

We're actually building again in Heritage and our house in on the market for either rent or sell.

http://www.visualtour.com/applets/fl...dm=realtor.com

It's 3600 square feet, five/six bedrooms (we use one as a home office). Even has a cusom built playhouse in the back that our three children love to play in.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks!!!!!! I took a peek. Beautiful home. We are hopefully planning on the spring to move.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM

70 posts, read 172,849 times
If you look in Cary, Davis Drive Elementary is a Blue Ribbon School and has gotten the National School of Excellence award (I think) every year since 1997. Many Cary neighborhoods are assigned there.

Another good school is Highcroft Elementary, currently #1 elementary in the county. You might want to look in the neighborhood called Highcroft (your price range is perfect for it). The elementary school is actually located within the subdivision so there's hardly a risk of being reassigned.

Many surrounding neighborhoods in Cary are also assigned to Green Hope Elementary.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 PM

thanks a bunch. i will look it up

Old 09-23-2007, 02:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,189,081 times
Morrisville Year Round Elementary is also a Blue Ribbon school. Lots of students from Cary go there (Preston neighborhoods, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary