Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 30,520 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give a hint as to the likelihood of a transfer request from Forest Pines to Jones Dairy or Hunter being approved? Reasons cited mainly were familial hardship, but was told we could only find out via mail.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,296,338 times
Why are the 2 schools so far away from each other? I think that will be part of it. If you are trying to transfer to Hunter as a magnet student, then it will likely be denied as there is a waiting list. I think there may be some proximity slots, so if you have an address near the school, then maybe there is a better shot. I think the specifics of the hardship will determine what happens.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the input. Jones Dairy is right behind our house, first choice for proximity. Hunter first choice for magnet as dd is in 1st but doing 3rd and 4th grade work, teachers advised that a G&T would be a great fit for her. Hunter Looks like it would be best fit academically, but if we loose busing option as part of transfer, cannot send her. I fell and broke my foot, am moving to NC with the kids alone until husband joins us, and am caring for 3 yr old sibling on autism spectrum. Cannot get dd to school alone with special needs sib in tow, alone, on crutches, without car initially. Wrote them that Hunter would be best for goodness of fit, but cannot do transportation without help. I can manage the walk to jones Dairy as we wouldn't need a car for there. But although Forest Pines is in the same town, hard for me to get there under the circumstances for any reason. At least with Hunter, if she goes out of the neighborhood, my husband will be working close by there once he transfers, and could easily get to her school for any reason. Especially with just moving, new school, and juggling multiple therapy appointments, we want to be near by the children's schools and activities as much as possible. I wrote as much in the request. I do hope for a transfer that will be better for our whole family.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
It's very doubtful you'll get a spot at Hunter, although I can't speak to the other schools.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM

525 posts, read 1,296,338 times
I agree I think the spot at hunter won't happen. I think I read there must be space available at the requested school for them to even consider a transfer.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,039,852 times
I don't know anything about the likelyhood of your transfer, but I will say I have a child in first grade at Forest Pines right now, who is also doing higher level work, and they have accomodated her very well these last two years (k & 1) as far as more advanced reading/writing work. Had to ask a few times about math, but we did get that too, eventually. I do wish you luck with your transfer request, but also wanted to let you know that FP is decent, too, if it doesn't happen.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the info. Keeping fingers crossed!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 AM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times
I agree that Hunter will be out of the question. Maybe Jones Dairy because of your circumstances but I think that school is pretty full if I remember correctly. Plus, I'm assuming that Forest Pines offers bus transportation so they might figure that you don't need to take her.

My prediction is that both will be denied and you will have to go through the appeals process. That's pretty typical, so don't be too discouraged if you get denied. Do the appeals process because you never know. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary