Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:04 PM

28 posts, read 108,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycorc View Post
What's your price range? Two neighborhoods to add to Davis Drive are WestPark and Wellesly. Not everyone who goes to the same elementary school go to the same middle and high's. Possible situations: DDE, DDM, Green Hope; DDE, Salem Middle, Apex High... the list goes on, but those are the two most common I've seen. (First one's probably the most common.)
Coming from the inflated Northern California real estate market, we will most likely sell our home for twice what we purchased it for 6 years ago! So....we will have a good amount to put towards a home in NC. I estimate our price range to be from 600-800,000. We haven't started the home search yet. Most likely we will move, rent for a year, then pick a neighborhood that fits our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 254,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
Coming from the inflated Northern California real estate market, we will most likely sell our home for twice what we purchased it for 6 years ago! So....we will have a good amount to put towards a home in NC. I estimate our price range to be from 600-800,000. We haven't started the home search yet. Most likely we will move, rent for a year, then pick a neighborhood that fits our family.
Makes me wish we had waited five more years before moving here from Orange County. Could have been living in a house 4 times the price.

I can't think of any subdivisions that go into Davis Drive Elementary in that price range, most of them are a little lower end. But you might want to check out the nearby Highcroft subdivision which is in your price range. They actually have an elementary school located within the subdivision, so it's unlikely that your kids would get redistricted. Highcroft elementary is currently ranked #1 in the county. Highcroft - a new homes community in Cary, NC - just outside of Raleigh

Many of the surrounding subdivisions in your price range feed into Green Hope Elementary.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
Most of the houses in your price range do not feed into Davis Dr. Elementary (I'm thinking probably 400-600k on the higher end).

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,962 times
If that were my price range, I would shoot for Highcroft too.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. on Highcroft...it looked very nice. Which middle/ high school does Highcroft Elementary feed into?

And, again...what are the odds of getting the boot to another school half-way through middle school or high school?

Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Salem and Panther Creek. I don't know about the redistricting issue.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 PM

70 posts, read 254,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
Thanks for the info. on Highcroft...it looked very nice. Which middle/ high school does Highcroft Elementary feed into?

And, again...what are the odds of getting the boot to another school half-way through middle school or high school?
Not as high in this area as in others because they just got redistricted, and I haven't heard of plans for any new middle or high schools in the area. But there's always a chance.

This area was previously assigned to Davis Drive Middle and Green Hope High, and grade 12 still attends Green Hope.

I was going to suggest The Reserve and Cary Park, but I think those subdivisions have the same assignments, except The Reserve's elementary school is Green Hope Elementary.

Another suggestion is Preston. Depending on where you buy, (Preston is over 2000 acres and divided into many areas) elementary schools could be Davis Drive Elementary or Weatherstone, middle schools could be Davis Drive Middle or West Cary, and high school is Green Hope.

If you bought where the assignment is DDE, DDM, and GHHS, that would be the perfect combination of top-notch schools.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,678,337 times
Absolutely, the top choices are DDE, DDM and GHHS are the top choices. Although Morrisville Elementary has some pretty spectacular scores too.

There are parts of Preston that feed into Morrisville Elementary as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Absolutely, the top choices are DDE, DDM and GHHS are the top choices. Although Morrisville Elementary has some pretty spectacular scores too.

There are parts of Preston that feed into Morrisville Elementary as well.
What about Highcroft Ele.? Someone (I can't remember exactly whom) mentioned in their post that Highcroft ele. was the #1 ranked ele. school in Wake County. How does the DDE, DDM, GHHS track compare with the Highcroft Ele. to Panther Creek track?

Also - what are the homes like in Preston? Is this an older area or a new subdivision with newer homes?

Just noticed that they have a great community swim team (my kids are swimmers - very important to them that they have a new team!).

Thanks folks!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 AM

We looked at a lot of homes in Preston last year when we bought. It is a very attractive neighborhood. In your price range you could get something very nice--possibly with a golf course view if you like that or possibly on a slightly bigger lot (those come up every once in a while). I'm not sure when Preston was basically built out, but houses are fairly new. The swim team requires you join Prestonwood which I think costs $16k (for social membership) plus annual dues. We live right next to Preston (the part in 27513) and the area is extremely convenient. Morrisville is our year round alternative and I'm definitely going to apply next year for my daughter who will start kindgergarten because its test scores are better than Weatherstone (our base school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary