Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltonc View Post
Also - what are the homes like in Preston? Is this an older area or a new subdivision with newer homes?
The homes were built in the late 80s and throughout the 90s. I believe many were built by custom builders, so you won't have the same exact house as the neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM

70 posts, read 254,879 times
Quote:
What about Highcroft Ele.? Someone (I can't remember exactly whom) mentioned in their post that Highcroft ele. was the #1 ranked ele. school in Wake County. How does the DDE, DDM, GHHS track compare with the Highcroft Ele. to Panther Creek track?

Also - what are the homes like in Preston? Is this an older area or a new subdivision with newer homes?

Just noticed that they have a great community swim team (my kids are swimmers - very important to them that they have a new team!).

Thanks folks!
Highcroft Elementary and Davis Drive are basically going back and forth between the top rankings. Salem Middle is not as impressive as Davis Drive Middle, and since Panther Creek is only in it's second year, its comparison to Green Hope remains yet to be seen. The only reason I'd suggest the DDE, DDM, and GHHS track is that these schools are not as new, with more established reputations and such. But honestly, all schools in the area are top-notch.

Preston was established in the late 80s, (some say that it shaped what Cary is today) but most homes were built in the mid 90s to 2000s.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 PM

28 posts, read 108,036 times
Do the homes in Preston have a bit of land around them, or are they situated very close to each other?

I live in No. Cal and I'm trying to get away from the home where you can watch your neighbor brush their teeth...

Also - what is the price range on homes in Preston?
Thanks locals!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 PM

There's a huge range of sizes and prices. PI think the minimum size lot for single family homes are about .25 acre to about .75 acre. Houses range from 300k to 2mil+. Pay a pretty big premium (%age wise) for a golf course lot.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Do the homes in Preston have a bit of land around them, or are they situated very close to each other?

I live in No. Cal and I'm trying to get away from the home where you can watch your neighbor brush their teeth...

Also - what is the price range on homes in Preston?
Thanks locals!
Nocaltonc. I live in Preston. Preston is a master planned large golf community with different sections. They even have a separate section called Preston Village. They have townhomes and golf villas also. The home prices will range from about 300k to almost 3 million like the previous poster had said. Lot sizes can range anywhere from 1/4 to over an acre. The majority are between 1/3 and an acre. Golf course lots can run you a premium of over 100k depending on the lot. Some sections of Preston are actually in Morrisville. Doesn't make a difference one way or the other or have in impact on resale value.

The school assignments for Preston are Weatherstone or Morrisville Elementary, West Cary Middle and Green Hope High. Preston Village's school assignments are Green Hope Elementary, Davis Drive Middle and Green Hope High.

Preston Village has Green Hope Elementary in the neighborhood. There is a circle in the middle of the neighborhood with a huge grassy area and gazebo. There is also a huge playground and their own pool. Preston Village also has a little pond with a gazebo on it.

Homeowners dues are 390/year for Preston Village I know for sure and 310/year for Preston I believe. This just covers the HOA and mainteneance of the common areas. If you want any ammenities over even to use the neighborhood pool at Preston Village you need to purchase atleast a social membership at Prestonwood. We paid 15k for our social but I think it is up to 17k now and monthly dues like the previous poster had said. Social just includes the use of the pool/fitness and clubhouse and activities. They have another tier for a Tennis membership that includes Tennis and the Pool/Fitness and the Club. Then there is the Golf tier that includes everything. They have just a dining membership but that won't get you anything and if you ask me the food is just ok for the price. They will let you finance memberships in installments that is a fairly new thing now.

The Country Club is gorgeous Prestonwood Country Club: Step into a World Apart. Their new main ballroom is amazing. They just did some minor renovations to the older side of the club. They have the main dining roo in the club and the Red Rox restaurant on the lower level next to the golf shop. They also have Thursday night family dinners and Sunday Brunches. The golf shop is very nice and very well stocked. They also have a kids club with activities and babysitting on the weekends. Moms morning out on Friday mornings. Tons of activities and some after school programs. Track out camp etc. Swim Team and Summer Camp.

The pool area is very nice with a water slide and zero entry. The have a full service snack bar with alcohol. They provide towels. On the weekends, someone will come around to your chair and take a food/drink order. That is new this year. They also have a kiddie pool.

The fitness center is very nice although I probably should use it. Need to. They have everything there including aerobics classes and pilates. You can even have your own personal trainer if you want.

That is the deal with Preston. Hope it helps.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 PM

28 posts, read 108,036 times
Thank you so much for the very comprehensive commentaries on Preston!
It sounds like there is so much for everyone - just depends on what you want and what kind of family you have. Our best friends just moved to Lake Norman outside of Charlotte and she describes her neighborhood almost exactly like you just described Preston, although you need to substitute the words "golf course" with "lake".

Does the elementary school run on a traditional schedule or year round? I was just disappointed to learn that Hycroft Elem. runs on a year round schedule. Might just be culture shock for my family that turns into a puddle of pudding at the beginning of June.

What is the social climate in Preston? Young familites? Lots of kids, I'm assuming....or at least hope. We have two active boys, aged 8 and 5. We're soooooo hoping to find a neighborhood teeming with kids on bikes. The neighborhood we live in now (not to bore you all) is really crappy to say the least.

Our neighbor across the street tried to kill our 25 year old mimosa tree on the front of our property because it blocks his mountain view (we didn't even plant the thing!) The neighbor next door blamed our boys for their old patio table breaking in 108 degree weather (we weren't even home when it broke), and the neighbor in the corner's 19 year old son, while babysitting, showed our boys how to light rubbing alcohol with a match!

Needless to say - we're looking forward to a bunch of cool neighbors with great kids.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Each neighborhood/street has it's own flair. Of course there are quite a few with families with kids, but some streets have empty-nesters and retired people. In general, the streets within the subdivision are pedestrian/jogger and bike friendly. When my boss relocated from California, he moved to Preston and loved the fact that there were 20 kids on his street, plenty of instant playmates for his two kids. I don't have kids, but there are quite a few families on my street and I see the neighborhood kids playing ball and riding their bikes in our cul-de-sac.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,429 times
Default Davis Drive...

I live in the best most upcoming places there is. I live in Morrisville in the neighborhood where the Martha Steward Homes are. I live in a Centex home. Schools walking distance Cedar Fork Elem. Around the corner Green Hope Middle and High (Great Schools). I tried public education and it's just not where it's at. I home school and if you decided to go that route there are TONS of us parents who do so. You will definitely have a support group!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,584 times
There are rumors blowing in the wind that the coming year will see big redistricting.
I have lived in Mac Arthur park for 9 years and since Davis Opened 12 years ago, my neighborhood has never been redistricted. But they say this year will change that. A new elementary school is due to open next Fall (Laurel Park) and is located on Laura Duncan rd near intersection of cary Parkway and Old Apex. My house is about equal distance between Davis and laurel park. Davis is over capacity by 200 plus due to it being the only Traditional option in this area..
Oddly enough, we chose year round at Morrisville 9 years ago and have been very happy.

If you are looking at test scores, just stay in the western side of Cary and you can't go wrong. Highcroft, carpenter, Davis, Morrisville, Green Hope and Salem are all excellent choices.
You have affluent college educated aprentsd and lots of stay-at-home volunteers. That's what drives the test scores. Stay away from schools with a high F & R population (IE Free and reduced price lunch kids)
Don't knock year round- there's something to be said for shorter summer and frequent breaks!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,518 times
Some of the Preston (Village) kids go to Green Hope Elementary and I do not know about the numbers but demographics and atmosphere are pretty indistinguishable from DDE--our kids went to both schools due to relocations and can not tell the difference. Also, the country club has a pool located within the Preston Village subdivision which the subdivision is acquiring and this will be open to all Preston Village residents regardless of Club membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary