U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 AM

161 posts, read 516,857 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to the triangle area soon. If a major decision to accept a job and relocate wasn't enough we also found out that we are expecting our first addition come March. We are very excited, but nervous. Of course, our priorities have shifted a little since we will be coming down as 3 instead of 2.

Sadly, we are leaving family and friends behind. Both my husband and I will need to work, so we will need to consider day care options.

I've found recommendations from people on this forum to be invaluable. If anyone has had a GREAT experience with day/child care, I'd love to hear about it.

Right now we are looking at NE Durham, SW Durham, Raleigh (near Brier Creek section), Hillsborough and maybe APEX. While I know that this is a wide range of options, selection of location will be decided heavily on day/child care and the school system of that area.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM
rfb

1,335 posts, read 3,258,243 times
If you buy into Wake County, the school system is (more or less) uniformly good. That is good, as you have a high probability of redistricting within Wake County, so it is much harder to buy with a specific school in mind. If you buy in Durham County, then you need to pay more attention to the specific schools, as some are good and some not quite as good. Durham doesn't have the redistricting woes of Wake, so selecting a specific school makes more sense. I'm not very familiar with Orange County schools (which is where Hillsborough lies)

I don't think you will have much issue finding quality childcare anywhere in the Triangle. You can search NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care for some options, and them you can use something like "Google maps" to find their proximity to where you are considering to live as well as work.

I'm most familiar with the Brier Creek area. Around Brier Creek, there are some good childcare options: Goddard is right there, and Kids-R-Kids is not far away in RTP at Alexandar and South Miami Blvd. Both are 5 star childcare facilities. There is also a Kiddie Academy right near Brier Creek which is a 4 star facility.

Happy hunting. And feel free to ask any specific questions - lots of folks here will be more than willing to give you their opinions!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 PM

7,455 posts, read 14,620,654 times
My neighbors kids go to Primrose and they just love it, although I think it's a bit pricey.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 PM
rfb

1,335 posts, read 3,258,243 times
I can second Primrose first-hand. My son (2.5 years old) goes there and we absolutely love it. Depending on where you buy, there may be one that is convenient.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 AM

3,155 posts, read 6,983,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlonthemove View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to the triangle area soon. If a major decision to accept a job and relocate wasn't enough we also found out that we are expecting our first addition come March. We are very excited, but nervous. Of course, our priorities have shifted a little since we will be coming down as 3 instead of 2.

Sadly, we are leaving family and friends behind. Both my husband and I will need to work, so we will need to consider day care options.

I've found recommendations from people on this forum to be invaluable. If anyone has had a GREAT experience with day/child care, I'd love to hear about it.

Right now we are looking at NE Durham, SW Durham, Raleigh (near Brier Creek section), Hillsborough and maybe APEX. While I know that this is a wide range of options, selection of location will be decided heavily on day/child care and the school system of that area.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
You might want to check out Trianglemommies.com. You might get more good info there.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 34,786 times
When we first relocated to the area, we chose NW Raleigh right off 70, about 8 min from Brier Creek. We rented until we found where we wanted to buy, I work in Durham and my husband works in downtown Raleigh, so we ended up buying in Garner and I went from full-time to only work a couple times per week. When I was working full time though, we looked at the daycares in Durham and I must say I was not impressed AT ALL. We had 2 kids (3 & 1) to think about and I just didn't feel good with any of the several places we looked at in Durham. I LOVE the Brier Creek area, but there aren't a ton of childcare options, but if you can afford it, Goddard is excellent, I was really impressed with the place, but couldn't justify spending over 25k a year for our 2 kids to go there. Also, the elementary in Brier Creek is very good too, but don't buy a house expecting your child to go to that specifc elementary school, because a lot can (and will) change 5 years from now.
Apex is a nice area, people say it's the next Cary, with real estate prices really going up. The schools aren't bad, either. We actually put an offer in on a house in Apex, but didn't get it.
I would think about the distance you want to travel to get to/from work. Also, price of daycares is another consideration. For our one year old the range we looked at was from $1,000 to $1,300 a month for full time daycare- plus another $950 for our 3 year old. There is a NC state daycare website we used NC Div of Child Development- Searching Resources in Child Care
where you can look up daycares in an area and find out their star rating as well as any investigations they've had....hope this helps. You can PM me if you need any more info.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM

351 posts, read 829,467 times
The Chapel Hill Mother's Club website also has a good list of area preschools.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro Mothers Club: Preschools by Location (http://www.chapelhillmothersclub.org/Preschool/preschoolsbylocation.htm - broken link)

I've heard great things about the Sunflower School in Hillsborough.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM

847 posts, read 2,396,873 times
The theme of the current issue of Carolina Parent is child care... CarolinaParent.com - The Triangle's online parenting resource. It is very comprehensive... see if they can send you a copy.

SW Durham schools are great! But, in general, there are a lot of choices in Durham... neighborhood, magnet, year-round (not b/c of space issues), charter, private, preschool. Any type of program in particular you are looking for?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 134,706 times
Thumbs up One suggestion for daycare!

Kindercare is good.
My friend's kids go there and they are happy with it.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I can second Primrose first-hand. My son (2.5 years old) goes there and we absolutely love it. Depending on where you buy, there may be one that is convenient.
Third, they offer the best balance for socialization, education and from our extensive research, it's not close... big thumbs up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary