Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,663 times

Advertisements

I live in Fox Run, Hillsborough and wanted to see if anyone knows about regulations on shooting guns in Orange County. Tonight from our house we heard someone shooting about 50-100 times over the course of an hour on private land across the Little River. It is extremely disruptive as we can hear it very well inside our home even with doors closed. I would guess that most likely it was target shooting, not hunting (we have heard hunting shots too but these are only one or two at a time, and not nearly as disruptive).

Any information on rules about shooting firearms, along with how this would fall under the Orange County noise ordinance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondarat View Post
Any information on rules about shooting firearms, along with how this would fall under the Orange County noise ordinance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
I suggest calling your local sheriff's department at the non-emergency number and ask them. The probably have handled the same questions before. If the person is on his own land, and it is not inside city limits, it may be legal. If the shooter is trespassing on some vacant land, that may be a different story.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-04-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondarat View Post
FWIW, the text of the noise ordinance is here: ARTICLE III. - NOISE

It states certain standards in decibels, then says the exceptions include "(17) Discharge of firearms, but only as permitted by state law and county regulations."

As I read it, if the firearms are discharged legally, they are exempt from the noise ordinance.

I sympathize with you. In Onslow County, we have had similar problems with people trespassing on bank-owned vacant land and shooting for hours at a time every weekend. The sheriff says they can't do anything except "run 'em off," because the land isn't posted.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I didn't see anything in a quick scan of Orange County regulations that specifically regulates the discharge of firearms. I might have missed it, but it makes me wonder if it's a matter of state law in unincorporated areas. (The only offenses proscribed by Orange County appear to be (1) hunting on private land without the landowner's permission, and (2) exposing female breasts.)

Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM

The discharge of firearms might be in the zoning regs. In Onslow, you have to be 500 feet away from an occupied dwelling, and that distance can vary with the county.

According to my DH, there's a *state* law that grandfathers-in any legal shooting ranges and exempts them from a noise ordinance.

I'd also suggest that the OP contact the County Attorney if the Sheriff doesn't have an answer.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
You live in the country, shooting is something country people do....

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
Quote:
You live in the country, shooting is something country people do....
x1,000. You will also hear farm equipment, smell livestock and experience many other country type things 'round these parts.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Update on Onslow. Where the shooters are trespassing, the sheriff will take the person's name the first time he sees someone. If there is a second time, he issues a fine for a civil violation. The policy hasn't had much effect on stopping people from trespassing and and using the land as a shooting range.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 241,237 times
to the poster who says that we should just accept that this happens in the country and we have to accept it because we live here - you should talk to my friend in apex. there are hunters in the woods behind her house, there is about 1 acre between her home & the woods. she's had 2 windows broken & 1 bullet in the house due to hunters being too close. her husband went into the woods & put up bright yellow caution tape from points where their house was visible. it worked for about a month. im not against hunters at all....but when you are hunting and homes are clearly visible, there has to be some sort of rule/law. i live in the same nhood as the original poster....there are 100+ homes here, all on at least 1 acre and no farms. my family (along with others) loves to hike in the woods but it gets frightening when you come across the mounds of remnants of target practice.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesmom View Post
there is about 1 acre between her home & the woods. she's had 2 windows broken & 1 bullet in the house due to hunters being too close. her husband went into the woods & put up bright yellow caution tape from points where their house was visible. it worked for about a month. im not against hunters at all....but when you are hunting and homes are clearly visible, there has to be some sort of rule/law. i live in the same nhood as the original poster....but it gets frightening when you come across the mounds of remnants of target practice.
I also respect the right of *responsible* hunters, but they must respect the laws about proximity to houses. Your friend should check with the county, and for sure call the Sheriff next time if the hunters are too close to houses. Hunters should respect the yellow warning tape, and they should clean up after themselves.

I know there is a conflict of interest here, between long-time residents used to hunting in the woods, and the newer residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary