Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times

Advertisements

Another example of not making sense

Scots Laurel

236 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

224 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

216 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

232 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

212 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

220 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

116 Bally Shannon Way
Apex 27539

121 Bally Shannon Way
Apex 27539

100 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27539

300 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27539

306 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

264 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

302 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27540

266 Bally Shannon Way
Holly Springs 27539

It's not like one side of the street is for one town (odd # or even #). There is no rhyme or reason to this.

And can someone explain this annexation thing to me? If your property gets annexed to another town can it affect resale value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Scots Laurel is located in Holly Springs. The post office that serves the neighborhood has an Apex Zip Code (27539). You will pay taxes to and receive services from the town of Holly Springs. Your mailing address is Apex.

That part of town is a little confusing because there are pockets that are subject to County Taxes only, and then there are sections that are part of one town's jurisdiction but have a different town's name and zip code.

The name of the town you live in has zero to do with which schools you are sent to, either-schools are operated by Wake County, not any individual municipality.

To confuse things further, sometimes an real estate agent (whether intentionally or not) will goof and list a home for sale with the wrong town/zip code.

In the case of Scots Laurel, I'd say that the correct way to list a home would be "Holly Springs, 27539" but that would confuse most people. In addition, some might say that an Apex address might convey a slightly different impression than a Holly Springs address, especially if that person was trying to research the area from far away. It would be easy for you to read a few posts around here and get the wrong impression of a town/subdivision.

Scots Laurel is in a good location. Lennar builds a decent mid-level tract home and includes many upgrades. There is a small pool. Some of the single family homes share a driveway. The area immediately around the development has some shacks/mobile homes.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM

I got the school thing down As far as Apex vs Holly Springs and annexation, etc I was wondering about resale. Apex is considered closer to RTP, etc. Even though the schools are county run I still think the actual town is important regarding resale.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
There are a few neighborhoods that have this type of thing going on. When we were home shopping last year we ran into this in Jamison park listed as Apex/Cary as well as another neighborhood over there in that area (can't recall the name) the street was Pony Soldier and the mls listed it as Cary and the realtor said it was Apex and the builder said Holly Springs!!! Windmere was also confusing. We looked at a resale in there which listed the home on the mls as cary and then we looked at a new construction home in there and the builder John Weiland told is it was Apex????????? Funny though on all accounts the schools would have stayed the same.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I got the school thing down As far as Apex vs Holly Springs and annexation, etc I was wondering about resale. Apex is considered closer to RTP, etc. Even though the schools are county run I still think the actual town is important regarding resale.
I was kind of dancing around the fact that Apex is a notch higher on the name recognition/perception scale, hence a likelyhood to appreciate a bit better than Holly Springs. You are absolutely right about the town being an important factor in resale.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
LOL. This is one thing about the Triangle that doesn't even phase me. In college I rented a house (in the Boston area) that had a Watertown phone number, a Belmont address and used Waltham utilities.

Many years later, we moved back to the Boston 'burbs to see more nonsense. When traveling Needham-Dedham. You are on state rte 135. In Needham, it's Dedham St., in Dedham, it's Needham St. This goes on all over the 'burbs.

Sounds not to different from the Triangle!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I sold a townhouse in Scot's Laurel. The ADDRESS is Apex but the townhouse is located in Holly Springs.

If you use the correct zip code, its not going to matter whether you use Apex or Holly Springs on your mail.

As for value...people in this area understand things like this. For my clients that relocate here, I try to explain this over and over until they get it. So, if a client were to say to me "I don't want tolive in Holly Springs but I'll live in Apex", it would be up to me to explain how the statement makes no sense. Once they understand all this, if they still say they MUST have an Apex address over a Holly Springs address, then I just assume they are nuts and go along with them since there is no reason not to!

Vicki

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
As for value...people in this area understand things like this. For my clients that relocate here, I try to explain this over and over until they get it. So, if a client were to say to me "I don't want tolive in Holly Springs but I'll live in Apex", it would be up to me to explain how the statement makes no sense. Once they understand all this, if they still say they MUST have an Apex address over a Holly Springs address, then I just assume they are nuts and go along with them since there is no reason not to!

Vicki

If a house in Cary was annexed into Apex there wouldn't be an uproar? Some people are very into status regarding which town they live in. And that affects resale.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I also sold a house in Cotswold...about a mile from Scot's Laurel.

I think they WERE Cary at one time and then we annexed by Apex. Now they are Cary again.

An uproar? Sure! Look at the signs right now all over South Cary saying stopCary.com. Those people do not want to be annexed into Cary. Some will complain about annexed in and some will complain about being annexed out!!! Will it do any good? I'm not so sure.

Vicki

Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM

I guess one should not live on a town line to avoid all of this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary