Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM

748 posts, read 1,376,146 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone. This is all new to me. I know deer are a pain in the backside sometimes, but I really enjoy watching them. The little ones I saw this morning were the smallest I have ever seen. Hubby said he did hear them "snort"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:15 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Fawn 007 by mikejaquish, on Flickr

Old 06-11-2012, 03:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Thanks, everyone. This is all new to me. I know deer are a pain in the backside sometimes, but I really enjoy watching them. The little ones I saw this morning were the smallest I have ever seen. Hubby said he did hear them "snort"!
You haven't lived until you are walking in the dark and all of a sudden run up against several large snorting deer. They show no fear of humans in my neighborhood and actually seem to enjoy challenging us. And Mike don't be fooled by the "pwecious widdle pumpkin baby deer". He will just grow up to decimate your garden, poop in your yard and smash into your car.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:46 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You haven't lived until you are walking in the dark and all of a sudden run up against several large snorting deer. They show no fear of humans in my neighborhood and actually seem to enjoy challenging us. And Mike don't be fooled by the "pwecious widdle pumpkin baby deer". He will just grow up to decimate your garden, poop in your yard and smash into your car.
They are QUITE edible.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:01 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Deer are great until you try to grow plants in your yard. I came out one morning to find that almost every single azalea by my driveway had been sampled by deer. Many had been chewed down until they were about half their original size. That's when I started building 8-foot fences, because they can jump over anything less - and sometimes even those, if they're scared enough.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Awww, I love 'em, but we're not the kind of folks who value landscaping very much. We prefer wildlife gazing. We have quite a crew who regularly traverse through our neighborhood. They don't go in our back yard (6ft privacy fence to keep the jumping dog in), but regularly stroll through the front yard. They sometimes raid the bird feeder. We also have barred owls, raccoons, possums, hawks, assorted songbirds and a gang of hoodlum squirrels who regular vandalize and break my bird feeders.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
We gave up on having a garden after trying for just one summer. Without a big fence, it isn't going to happen here.

Yeah, walking outside at night for something, car, trash ,etc, and hearing that snort from 20' away, is startling!

About 4 days ago.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 PM

242 posts, read 465,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hate deer.
Not me, they cook up quite well and are a rich protein source.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Not me, they cook up quite well and are a rich protein source.
I agree. Unfortunately, just like with squirrels, people think they're cute and look down on hunting them. The deer population in this area isn't culled fast enough. More deer die by car than by bullets or broadheads...and those are completely wasted.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Deer are great until you try to grow plants in your yard. I came out one morning to find that almost every single azalea by my driveway had been sampled by deer. Many had been chewed down until they were about half their original size. That's when I started building 8-foot fences, because they can jump over anything less - and sometimes even those, if they're scared enough.
Look for something called "I Must Garden". It is a deer repellant spray & seems to work well. Just make sure you remember to reapply it after rain.

What I was told for deer when planting is the 3-P's. Prickly, pungent & poisonous. They tend to avoid plants in those categories. I realize a hungry enough deer will get over my fence or eat my herbs, but for the most part when other food is around they do skip those.

And I have to agree with Dreison, a nice venison tenderloin is a very yummy supper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary