Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times

Advertisements

PS...the whole issue started when I the end of my price lock came up and I needed to renew my service...so beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Default TWC, I hate you. I hate you very much.

In my wildest dreams I could never see I would wish to go back to Comcast.

I absolutely hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate stupid TWC. Forget the slow Internet, I'm talking just TV here. Comcast had one (1) channel for on demand stuff. It was all there in one menu, buttons OK, Exit and Last were all I needed.

TWC has this absolutely Moderator cut: inappropriate (for the lack of a better word) channel line-up with on demand being spread across like 50 channels. I feel like Alice in friggin' Wonderland.

I hate their A, B, C buttons. Why can't we just use arrows or OK/Exit?

It's never clear when an on demand show will become unavailable. Comcast had new shows and the ones that expire soon clearly noted. Here I missed many shows because I thought I have more time to watch them but they were boom - gone all of a sudden.

The 'fast forward is unavailable during this show' (NBC shows) just makes my blood boil. Do they understand the definition of 'on demand'? I know they need to make a profit, but SNL goes for 1.5 hours and I've already seen half of it and only wanted to see the rest. But noooo...

Their cable box has such a lag that I end up pressing the button more than once and then end up in Wonderland again. On the reboot it takes 10 minutes (I timed it) to come up. Once my kid unplugged the box and we missed half the show waiting for a picture. What is it running on, Windows 3.1? With Comcast it was instantly on. On demand and guide took a couple of minutes, but picture was there in a matter of seconds.

Worst of all - no favorite list. I don't care about 70% of the channels (especially since they have so many duplicates) yet I'm forced to scroll through them all the time (even using useless Fav button). And, by the way, why is the cursor always in the middle? I hate that too.

Unfortunately, we're in an apartment, so we are stuck with what's available, but I'll be done with them the second we move out.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-13-2010 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language

Old 11-10-2010, 07:11 AM

42 posts, read 101,686 times
I hate 'em too!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
We have had a lot of channels that are blank and suddenly appear after a minute or three. We have the "lock" on the cable / internet bundle price right now. Probably won't stay if the price jumps significantly this summer when our lock / guarentee pricing is over.

Be careful with the lock and monitor your bills... when I read the small print they don't contact you and ask if you'd like to renew the lock - it happens automatically. You do get 30 days from when the new lock begins to get out of it. After that, you are stuck or pay the fee to break.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM

82 posts, read 241,257 times
Default we just got twc digital & problems abound

we upgraded to digital last friday so we could get a package. we had to switch to twc to keep vonage & added twc internet. since then, we had 1 afternoon of 4 hours without a picture, several missing channels (werent missing before we went digi!) and last night it was several hours of no sound. as of last night, a tech was scheduled to come out tomorrow...i guess it wasnt terribly bright of me to think i would get a next day service appointment? i was never thrilled with twc to begin with, now they are pretty much meeting my low expectations. we have yet to drop our current isp...im dreading twc internet.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:33 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop108 View Post
Hi there. Just checking to see if anyone has had as many problems with Time Warner cable as we've had. My family moved to Cary in June, and we had our cable installed shortly afterwards. Since then, we've had 4-5 repairmen come to the house to fix the problems.....and the cable still isn't working right. Here are some of the problems we've had. Most of them have now been fixed, but it's been a real headache.

- Weak signal inside
- Bad line outside that needed to be replaced, (which required a separate team of lawn workers to dig a trench through our yard)
- On-Demand channels not working
- Booster (amplifier?) that was needed inside due to weak signals
- Some channels were completely black with no picture
- Bad "main" line coming into the neighborhood (which required a separate Maintenance team to install a new line down the street)
- The cable volume is very low.....I have to turn up the TV volume, but if I turn it up too much, I hear static noise. Right now, I have the cable volume turned almost all of the way up.....and my hearing works just fine. If my hard-of-hearing mother comes to visit, we're all in trouble!!!
- The remote is as confusing as #$*%&!!!!
- The text on the Menu pop-up is small and hard to read.
- The latest issue is that the Menu pop-up background is now transparent, so we can see the text, but we can also see the TV picture behind it. GRRRR!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm completely ready to call the Direct TV people. It couldn't be any worse than Time Warner!

WOW! I have DishNetwork and don't have any of the problems you listed above. Must be the carrier of ones TV entertainment that is the problem.

Now, having said that I have other issues that I would not have with cable. Like in stormy weather I lose satellite signal but it does come right back on right after it shows you all the work it is doing accessing a signal and flipping through the various transponders....just after the greatest sports play that ever happened seem to happen while I had no signal! But that is why ESPN is around to show us those plays several hundred times a day after they happen!

Good luck with your cable and maybe a flip of more than the channel will help your situation. Got Satellite?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,792 times
I admit that I didn't study all umpteen pages here but TW Roadrunner up here will drop some emails that wanted to come to me. They refuse to talk about it. Being that I do some business on line, this can be very bad.

S

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

61 posts, read 121,681 times
Just moved to Raleigh. Prior to moving we had DirectTV but unable to get it at the apartment we're living in (not facing in the right direction). Not a day goes by when I don't say "I want DirectTV back."
Looking forward to moving to a house with a small dish that says "directtv."

Can't stand TW's remote and their DVR.
Forget about getting TW on the phone.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative35 View Post
TW has been the most disappointing experience I have had since moving to NC.
+1, I had Comcast in Maryland, and it rocked. Less money, faster internet, and a cable box that wasn't an utter piece of poop.

I would be on a dish in an instance if I didn't have a huge tree stand in my line of sight. Maybe breaking out of my price lock after the past two years and returning all there terrible boxes will give them the message.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Although I can understand that there are plenty of TWC internet customers who are not tech-savvy, there is a significant proportion (especially here in the Triangle area!) that are. I am currently living in a location in which there are ZERO other internet options (other than satellite and wireless, but those are not feasible for me). AT&T is unavailable and Verizon is as well, effectively making TWC a monopoly within my community.

My internet is unbelievably slow every weeknight at 7-11 pm. I am (probably stupidly) paying for Road Runner Turbo (10M down/512k up). I set up a little script that executes a 'tracert' command once every 30 minutes and puts it into a nice little chart.

Not surprisingly, my latencies from NC to northern Virginia are (and should be) around 10-20 msec during off peak hours. However, there is an enormous spike between 7-11 pm during which my latencies are consistently > 200 msec. My download speed drops from 15M down to ~1.5M down. My upload speeds, which NEVER exceed 300k up regardless of the time of day, dwindle to <100k up. I don't torrent or anything like that, but I do play online games (which are NOT data intensive, they typically require around 5kbps down and up), and these are completely unplayable.

Long story short.. multiple calls to customer service and they refused to admit that they had simply oversold the line and placed the blame on my router (shockingly, upon removing my router and connecting directly to the modem, my internet speeds remained just as stagnant as before). Then, it was my computer's fault, except I had the same exact issue on both of my computers and my friend's laptop.

The best part was when they asked me to use TWC's performance measurement tool on TWC's website. The customer rep made sure to patronize me while saying "We'll test it on our website, and then if you still don't believe that your connection is fine, we'll test in on any website of your choosing."

Unsurprisingly, TWC's website came through with blazing speeds of precisely 10M download and 517k upload. On the other hand, [url=http://www.speedtest.net]Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test[/url] reported a latency of 370 ms and a download speed of 1.7M with 78k upload. But somehow to my customer service rep, it was the third party website that was unreliable.

F*** you, Time Warner Cable. I hate that there are no other options. I'm probably going to switch apt complexes at the end of my lease to make sure I can avoid TWC at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary