Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:31 PM

460 posts, read 1,014,114 times

Advertisements

In regards to several of the above posts... I have also noticed many people do not read all the way through someones post! And if they read all the way through... they sometimes pick out certain things and not others. Many of us are occasionally guilty of it ourselves, but I am mainly referencing those who make it a habit.

I have great experience with that... because I work with an individual who NEVER reads all the way through my emails... *sigh*... frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,699,194 times
This is not unique to the Raleigh/Durham/CH, though. It is happening all over the country. People are much more transient these days than 50 years ago. There are more highways, more cars, more people flying, and more information and communication. People have more leisure time and can work from home. All of these factors lead to more people moving around. People aren't born, live, and die in the same city at the same rate that they used to. It's a change the whole country and the world are experiencing. Of course it's going to change the flavor of the city, but if you want to keep up as a modern, up-to-date city, it's the price you have to pay. Those places that don't have people moving in are stuck in a time warp, are losing jobs, or are dying. If people didn't move here from all over the country and the world to attend UNC or Duke or work in related industries, do you think the Triangle would be where it is today?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM

149 posts, read 206,124 times
I should have clarified, perhaps .... naturally, a retiree might not place a job as a top priority. I was referring to those who were employed, or wish to be. My mistake.

But with those who believe they have enough savings to get by before they find a job here, I would offer a word of caution. Again, this all depends what kind of job they are looking for.

My husband was unemployed here for years before finally taking a job out of state. He came to NC with a solid job, did extremely well, worked hard. Lots of commendations. Shortly after, the company merged and laid off about 90% of its workers. There was no warning for any of these workers that the company would do this. I don't even think it made the papers.

He went through years ... not months, but years ... of resumes, interviews, etc. He spoke to numerous job counselors, who pored over his resume and interview answers and found he did nothing wrong. His "networking" sources either got laid off themselves, or had very short memories. Some interviewers here were actually blunt with him , and told him that no matter how good he was, how well he performed during the interview, how negotiable his salary was or how right he was for the job, they would not hire him. Period.

Enough of our story, though.

This is why I get a little concerned with those who believe that with a dream and a few coins in their pocket, they will make it big here. Some will, of course. Again, it depends on age, sometimes on sex (I'm sorry to say ... one company actually informed him that they wanted to hire a woman, and others strongly hinted at it ... that shocked me, and I AM a woman!), ability and most of all ... plain dumb luck. Being in the right place at the right time. That is most important. But many won't do so well. We spoke to enough of them here over the years.

I would advise that those who read these sort of articles take them in with a good dose of pragmatism, and just a grain or two of salt. That's all.

P. S. No, I do not believe in being rude to those here who inquire about relocation. That's just bad manners. But I agree with those who advise that, perhaps, getting a job here first would be wise.

Last edited by gazania; 06-13-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
And this.

Raleigh has been constantly evolving ever since my earliest memories.

I can even recall when most of what is now Cary was incredibly rural.

My 22yo son remembers when Morrisville was a hole in the road. He attended Sterling Montessori before they even finished construction on the middle school building.

I think most locals handle change just fine.
That's my point. When my family moved to Raleigh in 1974 from California, Raleigh was smaller than Cary is currently and Cary was the size of Morrisville. RDU was smaller than a McMansion by Falls Lake and....speaking of Falls Lake, it didn't exist. The Beltline was just the northern arc of 440 and you couldn't get out of Raleigh on a thru-Interstate. In fact, you couldn't even get to Chapel Hill without dumping onto 54 in RTP.
In 1970, all of Wake County had only 228,000 people. Today, Raleigh alone is approaching the population of all of Wake in 1990.
When my family moved to Raleigh, the only "diversity" beyond traditional black and white South was the Jewish family from New York that lived in your neighborhood. Lord help you if you were looking for Mexican or Asian food back then.
Back then, you also couldn't buy liquor by the drink but you could smoke in the grocery store. The city of Raleigh and Wake County had two different school systems that amplified the white flight from the city center into the suburbs that was happening all over the country. Up until 1972, you could even watch Jesse Helms on the local TV station.

A LOT has changed and a lot of that has changed is a result of the terrific mix of people from NC and elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:48 PM

804 posts, read 1,998,118 times
i have no idea why someone would ask an OP about a job if they stated they had a job. i must have missed those threads. certainly we aren't called to be rude & i don't think it rude to tell an OP that in order for us to give the best advice we may need a bit more info (like job location, desired commute time, type of housing, price point for housing).

one other thought that i often have when people post things like "hey i heard they hire people in nc i wanna come down where is best to move so that i get hired for a job" -- i have no idea how someone with that "grasp" of the english language (for lack of a better term) is going to get a professional job or is going to get even an in-demand service-industry job when we have tons of college graduates from area universities that are both staying in the area, looking for professional jobs, & taking service-industry jobs in order to have rent money while looking for professional jobs.

so, that is another reason why we often ask the question about jobs when people post & have not provided that.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,014,114 times
Also, as I think many clearly understand, some many not.

In my earlier post regarding some natives not like "change", I wasn't even close referencing race, food, and things of that nature. I think I was more referencing the "culture" of the area... as in general understanding of the school systems, political systems, religious make-up, and things like that. And again correct me if I am wrong... but I am not saying that natives don't want people with different religions and stuff moving here... they just don't particularly like people come from different areas that might have been predominately a certain way, and want to make this new area they moved to, into that! Changing the school systems, and of course many other things politically et al that go into an "understanding" of a local "culture" that sometimes is the norm.

Does that make sense? Can anyone better articulate what I am trying to say?

I don't at all think people who get a little grumpy when out of towners come in and try to change everything are mad because they might be a different color or religion...
I think some people get a little more frustrated when an out of towner comes in.... and starts saying stuff like "you can sing God Bless America" in your school because that offends me".... and "you can't bring Bible to school because that offends me".... and before you know it... some not so great people start getting voted into government that native locals would never have imagined or agreed with running things.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:43 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,942,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Another article about the land of milk and honey..

8 cities with SURPRISING job growth
I was intrigued until I saw another kiplinger survey... 12 best cities for high paying jobs and Manchester, NH is number one... 45 minutes away from me.. And Boston was number 4.. An hour away

Last edited by minibrings; 06-13-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM

9,125 posts, read 14,669,682 times
Quote:
And this.

Raleigh has been constantly evolving ever since my earliest memories.

I can even recall when most of what is now Cary was incredibly rural.

My 22yo son remembers when Morrisville was a hole in the road. He attended Sterling Montessori before they even finished construction on the middle school building.

I think most locals handle change just fine.
That's funny. The company I worked for at the time built Morriville community park in 1990-91. Myself and 2-3 other people literally built most of that park with our hands along with a few subcontractors. Never in a million years imagined I would live there 10 years later and even when I moved in 2000 it was still pretty small.

I was born in 1970 and the whole area really has been In a constant state of change. "Yankees" moving here is certainly not new as it started with IBM in the late 60's I can't tell you how many people I hung out with in high school were from the areas just north of Six Forks and one or both parents worked for IBM.

It's a big reason the Raleigh accent is so much less drawl-y than from counties further east I think.

Personally, I am in favor of development and people moving here, not just because I work in construction, but because it makes it interesting here.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,140,626 times
Quote:
LOL. Or keep all our realtors employed.
You can't have it both ways!

You can't say this and then in your next post claim that most of these people aren't buying homes!!!

Vicki

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM

202 posts, read 348,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Also, as I think many clearly understand, some many not.

In my earlier post regarding some natives not like "change", I wasn't even close referencing race, food, and things of that nature. I think I was more referencing the "culture" of the area... as in general understanding of the school systems, political systems, religious make-up, and things like that. And again correct me if I am wrong... but I am not saying that natives don't want people with different religions and stuff moving here... they just don't particularly like people come from different areas that might have been predominately a certain way, and want to make this new area they moved to, into that! Changing the school systems, and of course many other things politically et al that go into an "understanding" of a local "culture" that sometimes is the norm.

Does that make sense? Can anyone better articulate what I am trying to say?

I don't at all think people who get a little grumpy when out of towners come in and try to change everything are mad because they might be a different color or religion...
I think some people get a little more frustrated when an out of towner comes in.... and starts saying stuff like "you can sing God Bless America" in your school because that offends me".... and "you can't bring Bible to school because that offends me".... and before you know it... some not so great people start getting voted into government that native locals would never have imagined or agreed with running things.
You've hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary