Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 95,898 times

Advertisements

With all of these apartment projects going on around Cameron village and glennwood south are they going to be affordable or over 1000 dollars for a small one bedroom. I live in north Raleigh now and want to live in a walkable area. I don't want to depend on a car all the time. Does anyone know if any of these projects affordable or all luxury? When are the completion dates on these project too? I only see two of these project getting built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM

60 posts, read 108,601 times
I live downtown, and after looking myself and hearing from my friend's, you won't find an apartment or condo to rent for under $1000. Better luck in finding a rental house in one of the neighborhoods as well as small one bedroom attachments. The bigger developments are going to be $1200+.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
i think you have to look at non-complex properties in that price range. MiamiBlue tends to be the expert in this topic. She lives DT but not in the major complexes.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Cameron Village condos - the 2 story buildings north and east of the shopping center - rent for $700 for a 1 bedroom flat/efficiency and around $1000 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath 2-story.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
If you are really determined you can find something. After a few months of searching I found a one bedroom condo downtown that rents at $900 / month. That seems to be roughly the floor rental price from what I have come across. Outside of that you need a roommate or are going to have to settle with an older rental property.

There's some over between Broughton High School and Cameron Village that were renting in the $700 range, but they don't have AC.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:30 AM

56 posts, read 95,898 times
What about the stick built apartments going up now by pullen park?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2tx2nj2nc View Post
What about the stick built apartments going up now by pullen park?
My guess would be that anything that's going up now is going to be on the higher end of the market. For example, 712 Tucker is stick built and it's expensive.
The best case scenario for the rental market prices to soften is for the supply to exceed the demand. There will be a lot of rental product coming on the market in the next couple of years.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Right now it's just not worth it to live downtown for most people for what you would have to pay. I've been working downtown for 8 years and have thought about it. Before I bought my house, while in my house and now that I'm renting again still thinking. But downtown honestly does not have the shops, food stores, etc. etc. to make it a good choice. If I'm going to pay that, might as well live at North Hills. There are a few older apartments here in there but finding them is a mission!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Right now it's just not worth it to live downtown for most people for what you would have to pay. I've been working downtown for 8 years and have thought about it. Before I bought my house, while in my house and now that I'm renting again still thinking. But downtown honestly does not have the shops, food stores, etc. etc. to make it a good choice. If I'm going to pay that, might as well live at North Hills. There are a few older apartments here in there but finding them is a mission!
Aren't you just speaking for yourself? The market will determine what is and isn't too much to pay.
You are part of that "market" but not every part of that "market" since the properties downtown are renting for rates higher than you are willing to pay.
As for the shops, etc. that you'd like to see before making DT your home, that's a symbiotic relationship. The more people that live downtown, the more those things will come. Just sit tight and wait. Others are paving the way for you.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
I think that some of these places getting built today are able to charge more than they would be able to get if Raleigh had a more mature downtown rental market. Right now, they're able to get more money out of their buildings than they would otherwise because (1) they're very new, and new apartments always command a premium, and (2) the supply in downtown is very tight right now.

Some of the places, particularly stick built ones, will eventually come down in price as they age, some of the shine wears off, and more competition that is newer, has more amenities, is higher quality construction, and just has more "sex appeal" get built. I have to imagine that once a place like Skyhouse is built (the 24 story 320 unit building planned near City Market) that it will absorb the top end of the market, who presently have no choice but to live in places like 712 Tucker. That will force rents elsewhere down somewhat.

Elsewhere on a different forum I put the following numbers together to give an idea of what this "urban apartment boom" looks like. The question is, is this going to result in a "glut"? Is this basically filling latent demand that has always been there? Does the fact that our population is growing and is projected to keep doing so mean that even if everything propsed gets built, there will still be room for more?

Downtown:
712 Tucker (179 units - completed)
Hue (208 units - completed)
425 N Boylan (250 units - under construction)
FMW @ Hillsborough/Morgan (249 units - under construction)
600 St Mary's (145 units - under construction)
Apartments at West (153 units - proposed)
Seaboard Apartments (112 units - proposed)
The Gramercy (209 units - proposed)
Edison Apartments (239 units - proposed)
Skyhouse Apartments (320 units - proposed)
TOTAL: 2064 units

Center city neighborhoods:
Valentine Commons (277 units - under construction - student)
Valentine Commons Phase 2 (126 units - proposed - student)
Gallery at Cameron Village (282 units - under construction)
401 Oberlin (250 units - proposed)
TOTAL:935 units

Mid-rise mixed use infill but not quite 'urban'
Alexan North Hills (297 units - completed)
Park and Market (North Hills East) (409 units - completed)
Oberlin Court (370 units - completed)
Manor Six Forks (298 units - completed)
TOTAL: 1374 units

COMPLETED: 1761
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 1203
PROPOSED: 1409

GRAND TOTAL: 4373
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary