Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

63 posts, read 87,673 times

Advertisements

I know there are threads on Prestonwood CC and other golf courses but not the info I am looking for. I will spare you the moving south from Manhattan bit but that's what's happening. A major thing for me is proximity to a golf course and to get away from the 5 + hour rounds on LI. I am seriously considering joining Prestonwood but spending 20k to join is a big step without knowing what the club is like.

I know they have three courses, I know the courses aren't universally loved, but I am curious about the CC lifestyle, the ability to get tee times on weekends, how active the men's club is, how long the rounds are, and anything else you might wish you knew about it before joining. I plan to play a lot more living there but I am a pretty good golfer and do want a challenging course (I play ~10 times a year and play to about a 6).

I know there are a lot of othe courses, including semi private that are much cheaper, but the location of Prestonwood is VERY close to my office and hence where we would more then likely purchase a home. We are in our late 30's and have a newborn so the family atmosphere of the club is important to us. Think of me what you will but I am willing to pay a premium to avoid the folks that play once a year, come out and get drunk, and drive the carts practically on the greens. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to golf. But at the same time, if there is a public course in the area that has an active men's club I would be interested to hear about that as well. Very much want the tournaments (club championship especially) and the camaraderie of playing with many of the same people.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
You'll love it here. Southerners move a lot faster than folks from New York City.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You'll love it here. Southerners move a lot faster than folks from New York City.
That will take some getting used to, I must admit. It definitely is a different pace of life in NC, which is a good thing. But I am hoping the slower pace doesn't also show on the golf course. Part of joining a CC for me is to avoid spending all day on the course and only playing 18 holes (no problem spending all day on the course if it's 36+ ).

Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I can't speak about golf at Prestonwood but only the community vibe.

My ex belongs to Prestonwood and my daughter is on the swim team there, so I spend a fair amount of time at the pool. Only you can decide if it is worth the expense, but I have been very impressed. That pool area is packed on practice days and the atmosphere is friendly, the kids are well behaved, the staff is great. No one gives out a snooty vibe. Everyone is nicely dressed and friendly. It would be GREAT for your wife to take the baby to the toddler pool and meet the other Moms...and as your child grows, the pool is a great community center for your family. One neat thing they do there is have a family campout, right on the lawn, with activities and a projection screen for movies. My kids had a ball doing that.

I could not imagine drunks driving carts of the cart path at Prestonwood.

HTH

Old 06-14-2012, 11:44 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
...avoid the folks that play once a year, come out and get drunk, and drive the carts practically on the greens.
And you think you won't get that at a private CC?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Sue - thanks for the post, very helpful. The pool and activities you mention are important to me and my wife, especially. Y wife as she is social and knows no one in NC at the moment.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM

188 posts, read 748,346 times
Based on what you say you are looking for, I think Prestonwood may be exactly that! There are multiple private clubs in the area, each having their own personalities, but for the most part all would meet your needs/ desires. As the location of Prestonwood is best for you, you should pursue it first.

For you coming in new, you will likely be very pleased with the variety of members that you meet. You will probably be introduced to multiple golf and social groups, allowing you to choose which best suits you and your family. One of the big benefits of Prestonwood, IMO, is that it has 3 courses. Plenty of variety and flexibility for required maintenance, etc. You shouldn't have any problems with tee times or pace of play.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
And you think you won't get that at a private CC?
No, I don't think there will be folks who pay $6,000 a year on dues to play once a year. Will people drink? Of course. Will people drive close to the greens? Sometimes. But I don't expect someone wearing jeans and taking off their shirt, throwing a Budweiser can on the ground, not knowing the rules and etiquette of the game, and having zero respect for the course. I'm happy outlets exist for those that want to do that, I simply don't want that type of atmosphere. I want the course that requires collared shirts (tucked in), no denim, etc. Again, think of me what you will but growing up playing at a CC, that is what I am used to and long for.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcp View Post
Based on what you say you are looking for, I think Prestonwood may be exactly that! There are multiple private clubs in the area, each having their own personalities, but for the most part all would meet your needs/ desires. As the location of Prestonwood is best for you, you should pursue it first.

For you coming in new, you will likely be very pleased with the variety of members that you meet. You will probably be introduced to multiple golf and social groups, allowing you to choose which best suits you and your family. One of the big benefits of Prestonwood, IMO, is that it has 3 courses. Plenty of variety and flexibility for required maintenance, etc. You shouldn't have any problems with tee times or pace of play.
Thank you rbcp, very helpful indeed.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
We went to a swim meet there last year and it is beautiful pool. I didn't get a snooty vibe at all. Can't speak to the golf angle, but from what I see driving through people do adhere to the rules you seek.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary