U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 PM

330 posts, read 471,162 times

Advertisements

We've been to the last 2 Wind Down Wednesdays at Waverly Place and in a very short time they are almost too successful. It is essentially a free concert with a festival atmosphere (beer/wine tents, face painting for kids, artist booths, etc).

I arrived at 7pm and almost every parking space in the entire complex was taken. I don't know how many 100s of people were there. Don't know what they are going to do when they fill up the tenant spaces -- but I guess for now the tenants are absolutely loving the traffic they are getting on Wednesday nights.

The free concerts are going all through the summer.

I did overhear while I was there (was not verified) that Waverly Place was now 60% leased (it will take quite a few months for stores to actually be remodeled and open) and that they are expecting a "Luxury" movie theater (leather recliners, wine bar, etc...) I know those types of theaters have been rather popular in California and New York. I guess the Triangle is affluent to have one...

There was a rumor that a number of shops in the McGregor Shopping Center were moving over -- including the Sushi place....

It will be interesting to find out what rumors are actually true.

They are finally doing a good job with their website and social media (Facebook, etc.) to get some buzz going about the place.

They have a Farmers Market on Saturdays but I haven't been yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 AM

3,665 posts, read 3,461,617 times
If MacGregor does close and become some other use it could be the best thing to happen to Waverly in a long time.

Ive been dying for a higher end theater in the area for a long time. Hopefully they do it.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 AM

226 posts, read 176,857 times
The Farmer's Market on Saturday is very nice. The majority of vendors are actually farmers, with farm products (produce, meats, eggs) to sell. Last week I got sweet corn, blueberries, blackberries, tomatoes, potatoes, shelling peas, green beans, and some bratwurst. Didn't pick up any peaches, but they were absolutely beautiful, as were the zucchini and yellow squash (I have enough of those from the ones my neighbor leaves at my door!) I previously went to the North Hills Farmer's Market, even though it was quite a trek for me, because they had great farmers attending. Over time, though, the number of folks selling cupcakes, chocolates, a caterer(), and the like have far outstripped the folks selling produce. Such a depressing turn of events for a market I really enjoyed. The only downside is that there's no place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee and listen to the music from the market. The musicians face the market stands, and Fresca's outdoor seating is just too far away to enjoy it. However, Fresca's coffee beats the Starbucks at North Hills hands down!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 AM

611 posts, read 1,060,353 times
I've been seeing pictures of the Wednesday night crowds on their FB site and wondered where everyone parked! I am glad to hear good things about the farmers' market, I plan to check it out this Saturday. I believe my favorite (haha, I guess it's my favorite because it's the only one I've ever been to) pick-your-own blueberry vendor, Blueberry Hill U-Pick Farms from Sanford was there last weekend. Hope they are back tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM

4,551 posts, read 4,956,447 times
lol I live right down the street from there and haven't even heard of the concert series. Guess I should join their Facebook page or something.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 AM

296 posts, read 301,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Ive been dying for a higher end theater in the area for a long time. Hopefully they do it.
Me too. I'd be willing to drive from N. Raleigh and pay a premium ticket price for this, especially if they had kid-free showings.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 AM

81 posts, read 139,777 times
How is a high end theater different from Galaxy? Galaxy serves wine and shows artsier movies and is pretty close to Waverly. Would the seating be nicer or would they show mainstream movies? I'm curious.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM

3,665 posts, read 3,461,617 times
Well, of it's like the Arclight in LA you not only buy tickets online, you can buy a reserved seat, the inside is much nicer and the prices a few bucks higher, which means most people who go are serious movie people and will not be talking the whole time and/or firing up their phone every five minutes blinding those behind them. They do run mainstream films.

It's like the next level of Galaxy, Rialto, Colony, etc. There is a place in Austin (and I'm sure other places too). The one in Austin actually banned someone for talking on the phone and then when she left an angry, ranting voicemail to them they made it part of their dont use a cell phone slide that runs before the film, iirc.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:40 AM

4,551 posts, read 4,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There is a place in Austin (and I'm sure other places too). The one in Austin actually banned someone for talking on the phone and then when she left an angry, ranting voicemail to them they made it part of their dont use a cell phone slide that runs before the film, iirc.
hahahah awesome.

I'm thinking it'll be the first type you mentioned. I used to live somewhere that had VIP theaters they called them. It was part of a standard theater but they had their own screening rooms. Leather seats with lots of leg room, small number of seats in general set just the right way that you never had to worry about someone's head in your way, it's own personal concession stand area, served beer and wine when the rest of the theater didn't, etc. It was pretty swanky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary