Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM

192 posts, read 312,950 times

Advertisements

That location is one of those where business just don't last long...I hope this one has better luck and from the reviews I'm hearing, the food seems to be pretty decent and well priced. Will have to take a lunch break now and maybe head on over there!

Rocio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,491 times
A great product can overcome a bad location. Perfect example is Williams Gourmet Kitchen in Durham. Horrible location that saw business after business fail. They moved in and offerred excellent food at a good price and they are constantly busy. It is obviously more difficult but it can be done.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
That location is one of those where business just don't last long...I hope this one has better luck and from the reviews I'm hearing, the food seems to be pretty decent and well priced. Will have to take a lunch break now and maybe head on over there!

Rocio
I don't know how you can say that. Pizza Inn was there for years.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 PM

192 posts, read 312,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't know how you can say that. Pizza Inn was there for years.
It may have been there for years but it was pretty rundown and obviously didn't attract many patrons. I used to drive thru that street everyday and it was not a place I'd want to stop and eat...I believe 'Pizza Buff' opened sometime last year and that has closed it's doors. 'The Finsky' is now opened in it's place. Let's see how long that one will last, even though by the comments here it may be one of the better establishments in that spot so far

Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM

97 posts, read 246,551 times
Unfortunately, I don't think it will last long either...there's hardly anyone there when I've been.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Well I've noticed a lack of decent steak n cheese places around here, so I'll give it a try today...will post back later!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Ok I went for lunch today hoping to get a good steak and cheese but when I got in there I had a change of heart. I really wanted a steak and cheese or a good hot dog, but figured if I was going to "sell" this place to my co-workers on the premise of a $5 lunch, I should at least try it to see if it was a good value.

Before getting into the food, let me say that someone there had the steak and cheese and it looked wonderful. And anyone who has grown up in New England grew up with Kayem hot dogs. My mouth was salivating at getting some good, old time hot dogs.

Anyhow, there are a great deal of "Finskys" on the menu from plain chicken, beef or pork cutlets to buffalo chicken and the one I tried the bourbon chicken. The sandwich comes on a nicely toasted bun and the chicken cutlet is nicely sized. It's not a deep fried thick chicken breast, but a panko breaded pounded and/or thinly sliced chicken breast. The bourbon sauce was just "OK", I should have gone with the buffalo, but it was still a good meal. I prefer chicken to be fried in either regular or panko bread crumbs - I just prefer it to the typical fried chicken breading. Maybe it's because everyone has the typical flour-based fried chicken, or maybe it's because that's how I fry my chicken...I don't know. I just like the lightness of the coating. The french fries were seasoned well and cooked to perfection. For $5 ($5.39 with tax) I got the chicken sandwich, fries and a drink. You can't beat it.

The restaurant was clean and even the restrooms were clean (the men's room anyway!). The only downside that I saw was that at 12:15, it was only me and one other couple in the restaurant. I really (REALLY) hope that the word gets out and people patronize this restaurant. I am the person who tries to support local business where practical. I believe in an owner who relies on customer feedback to succeed, rather than who has the most extensive dollar menu. I'm also the type that if I were to go to McDonald's or Wendy's I get the same meal every time I go, simply because the food is so average. But with Finsky's I'm already debating in my mind what I'm getting next time I go. I say steak and cheese now, but I'm sure I will change my mind again. I will definitely spread the word around the office and try to get some others to come with me. The meal was a tremendous value and even the non-Finsky meals were reasonably priced.

My only suggestion to the owner(s) is, you need to do something to draw traffic in there (unless today was just an anomoly). Perhaps put some signage on the building that says "20 meals on the menu for $5"....or something to that effect. I've driven by that restaurant about 4 times, read the sign and never thought to go inside. I see the name "Finsky's" and I immediately think some sort of Irish grub. I can't be the only one who didn't know that a "Finsky" was slang for five.

Wishing luck to the owners. It's nice to have something "out of the ordinary" that is reasonably priced and right around the corner from work.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
Leave reviews on different sites. I know when I'm looking for new places I take into consideration reviews from people and what you wrote HS_dude sounds great. I've found some awesome places I didn't know existed by searching multiple sites.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
To update this, it looks like the Finsky that replaced Pizza Buff is also now closed. I drove by today and there is a hand made "For Lease or Sale" sign on the front. Also the last review on Yelp is from May. Not sure when they actually closed down but I drive past there at least once a month.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 PM

97 posts, read 246,551 times
It was closed a couple of weeks ago. Drove by and they were removing the equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary