Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper69 View Post
Hi, everyone....(hears group welcome and a scattering of delayed hello's)

I currently live in NorthEast Georgia and have decided to start anew in the area of Raleigh. I am single, male, college educated and all around good guy...no..not a singles ad...anyway, I have been teaching ESL for the past 4 years and ready for new adventure!

My problem is...as with many teachers...is that even though I wear many hats at my job...many of the skills I possess (problem solving, analytical, organization, written and oral communication, detail oriented, etc.) don't seem to have a lot of weight when looking through job announcements. I am 43 years old and willing to start at the bottom of a company that can benefit from my experience, but also help guide me into a productive employee. I am not looking for a new teaching position, but I am looking for suggestions, ideas, or leads to positions that might suit my skill base, as opposed to someone with IT, engineering, or more technical skills.

I have saved up and sitting in a holding pattern until I secure something worthwhile..something I deserve. Unfortunately, government jobs seem to have dried up. Sales positions are not me. I have a freindly and personable demeanor and love helping people, but I would not fit into a high pressure sales position.

I am not looking for the Golden ticket, but would appreciate any objective advice. I would post my resume, but afraid of who would show up at my door..lol

Thank you for listening to my plea. It's not desperate, but more anxious to make the move and start a new career!
Try some of the large temporary/contract companies. There recruiters may be able and willing to help you. It can be a good way to get your foot in the door and if you find the right recruiter and have the right personality it might work wonders. You can try some of the professional associations as I have been told many of the people who actually attend the meetings are looking for jobs. Also go to the job fairs of temporary/contract companies and you may connect with the right person who will give you advice if you motivate them to do. I have been told that happens. Job fairs will have a range of people working them that includes not just recruiters but managers from what I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper69 View Post
Moving to Raleigh is not career oriented..I chose Raleigh because i had heard that the people were nice and the surrounding area had a lot to offer, not because I thought that there was better opportunity.
I don't really understand this, because most of what you've asked in your post is career-oriented.

There are indeed nice people and an area with "a lot to offer" here, but that is true of many places. Without more specific reasons why you want to come to Raleigh, specifically, it is hard to comment. All you have said is that a job is not why you are coming (yet you then go on to ask job advice).

Your post asked for general career advice, for which Dark pointed you to the Work and Employment forum which is the proper place for "what should I do with this background?" questions. If you were asking about a specific job market in Raleigh, this would be the proper place to ask that, but you say you don't know what you want to do.... so what, in a nutshell, is your question, if it's not about career (for which this is not the best forum)?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
I do project management after having been in the IT field for about 9 years. I'm still getting used to it, but many people really enjoy this type of work. It helps to get a PMP certification, but you could do that by studying (a lot) then taking the certification exam. I know it's really a leap from what you're doing, but your skill set strikes me as a possible fit for that line of work.

Raleigh is generally a nice area. I would caution you to be careful about moving here too soon. Lots of unemployment. However, if you have some money saved up, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Oh, don't be sorry you brought it up. So many of us at CD are (or have been) in transition in one way or another.

Ya know, what you are describing as far as wanting guidance, is something I've been sorely lacking in for the past 35 years. I have many great skills and talents, but still looking for my niche. I've had a couple of helpful mentors along the way...but I've been more likely to find that those who could be in a position to help are competitive and would rather protect their own.

As for hoping for helpful advice...times are tough and there are plenty of nay-sayers in the world.

Ray Bradbury said that if there are people in your life who don't support your dreams 'Say goodbye to those nay-saying friends!'

Thank you!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't really understand this, because most of what you've asked in your post is career-oriented.

There are indeed nice people and an area with "a lot to offer" here, but that is true of many places. Without more specific reasons why you want to come to Raleigh, specifically, it is hard to comment. All you have said is that a job is not why you are coming (yet you then go on to ask job advice).

Your post asked for general career advice, for which Dark pointed you to the Work and Employment forum which is the proper place for "what should I do with this background?" questions. If you were asking about a specific job market in Raleigh, this would be the proper place to ask that, but you say you don't know what you want to do.... so what, in a nutshell, is your question, if it's not about career (for which this is not the best forum)?
A person can still be motivated to move to a new city for more reason than are just purely career motivated. If was just a career i was after, Then I would stay in the Atlanta area, but again that is not my main motivation and you are right, I am obviously in the wrong forum!

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Why are you so angry?

Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I do project management after having been in the IT field for about 9 years. I'm still getting used to it, but many people really enjoy this type of work. It helps to get a PMP certification, but you could do that by studying (a lot) then taking the certification exam. I know it's really a leap from what you're doing, but your skill set strikes me as a possible fit for that line of work.

Raleigh is generally a nice area. I would caution you to be careful about moving here too soon. Lots of unemployment. However, if you have some money saved up, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
Thank you for the reply, but I am not sure about the IT field for me. I would not have a problem continuing my education, but I have several friends in the IT field, and it never really has grabbed me by the pants..lol

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
If you are looking for a new career/life a good place to start is at a college career office. They will have all sorts of interest inventories and so forth to help you get an idea of what type of jobs are a good fit for your personality, skills, and interest. I think the Holland inventories are particularly helpful as they relate personalities to work environments in six areas.

Then once you have an idea of some career possibilities, get in touch with people working in these area and ask to job shadow. Check out volunteer possibilities. See what fits and what doesn't.

Many folks dream of having somebody mentor them on a career path. This probably works better for people in their twenties than in their forties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary