Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

The City of Raleigh garbage man usually comes to pick up my trash by 7:30 am every Wednesday. Here it is 7:30 pm and no trash pick-up in our neighborhood yet. Everyone's cans are just where they left them. I know that the City recently changed how they handle overtime with employees, but it seems odd that they didn't make it here by the end of the day since they usually come by no later than 7:30 am. No biggie, just thought it was a tad odd. Has his happened to you lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Yes...my trash wasn't picked up in Wake Forest last Friday. And they only took half of my recyclables?!?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:13 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
A couple of weeks ago they picked up my side of the road, while the other side of the raod was not picked up at all. They had to wait a whole week until they came back the next Tuesday.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM

86 posts, read 141,758 times
Default I really hope it's not an over time issue.

The city of Raleigh can spend a few extra bucks to keep the trash removed on a set schedule. I work for a state agency and I hear the over-time bull crap all the time. They spend millions on so many other things.

Pay your employees for their hard work and keep the trash removed off the streets.

If a man is earning $10 hour and works five hours over time to complete his route, he makes an extra $75 gross, no biggie. As long as it is reasonable and excusable, that is why they have managers.

I am pretty sure the City of Raleigh has people to conduct time studies. They probably have calculations for the average time it takes to empty each trash bin and how many minutes it takes for the length of road to travel, etc.

They probably have the entire city divided by quandrants and their formula shows that they have ample time and man power to remove all trash per week. However, they need to calculate for additional bags of trash per household, weather conditions, traffic, etc. Basically it is unpredictable to correctly estimate field activities.

Your trash should have been removed today. I would call the city tomorrow if you get a chance. Maybe the guys were sick or quit. I find it hard to believe they missed an entire street on purpose.

Good Luck

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The City of Raleigh garbage man usually comes to pick up my trash by 7:30 am every Wednesday. Here it is 7:30 pm and no trash pick-up in our neighborhood yet. Everyone's cans are just where they left them. I know that the City recently changed how they handle overtime with employees, but it seems odd that they didn't make it here by the end of the day since they usually come by no later than 7:30 am. No biggie, just thought it was a tad odd. Has his happened to you lately?
Have you called to find out why? They could have some turn over lately....someone took ill or is out on medical......new guys on new routes can delay things.

Maybe they had equipment breakdown. Training sessions can delay things.

It's a service industry.....poo-poo happens. Find out first.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
If you have ANY issues with trash, recycling, or yard waste pickup simply call the municipality. WakeGOV.com - Municipal Solid Waste Information

In my case where things weren't picked up they explained the issue (trucks were broken) and/or sent someone the next day to pickup.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,634 times
Was there any resolution on this? I'm curious...

Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
Was there any resolution on this? I'm curious...
Just got home from work, looks like they came by today to pick up the trash. Just one day late. Maybe the truck broke down yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary