U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 15,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
From THIS Realtor's point of view...this is MY opinion: As I said...its a diverse group of people that live there...not that that's a bad thing. The homes are cute and most of the yards are well kept. Its a large neighborhood. I've sold two homes out there. My clients could only afford the $130s, at the time. That eliminates ALOT of neighborhoods. The schools are getting better. If I had a client that could afford $200s, they would probably not want to live there. But its a start. Homes have gone up in price. Schools are getting better. My clients and I become friends. I'm very honest with them and they appreciate that. I ALWAYS point out to my clients the pros and cons of every area and every home and then its up to them to make a decision. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I do not. We laugh about how "opinionated" we all are and then once they make a decision...I go along with it. I've NEVER had a client come back to me and tell me that they were unhappy with the decisions they made. I sleep very well at night! If you want a HONEST opinion...just ask. Vicki
Yes, that's what I'm looking for an HONEST opinion? I'm just wondering since I am a future homebuyer. I'm also looking for a realtor which I know you are one so just trying to see if you can dish out that brutal honesty I'm searching for. No harm meant I don't want someone to tell what they think i want to hear, just the truth that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,986 times
Question Comparison, advice

Ok, so I have read the previous string of replies and I still have a few questions so here they are:

If you had to choose between Battle Ridge or Laurel Glen (off Angier Ave., 4 blocks from the intersection of Angier and S. Miami Blvd in Durham), which of the two would you choose and why? We are interested in a house in Laurel Glen, 4 bed plus bonus for 189,900, built in 2003. But Battle Ridge homes are newer, there a few larger lots and they look a lot nicer from the internet.

We also really like the KB builders web site of Battle Ridge and see that the houses are larger and come with more amenities and better quality landscaping. Most trees and grass in Laurel Glen are dead.

If you were not concerned about sending your children to the public schools which subdivision would you choose for raising a family. Do you find that Battle Ridge is family friendly? Lower crime rate than Durham?

Socio-econimic diviersity was briefly discussed earlier, but what about ethnic diversity? Is Battle Ridge ethnically diverse? Laurel Glen is almost wholly African American, from what we understand one white family, but no latino, asian or middle eastern families. Is Battle Ridge more ethnically diverse. Ethnic diversity is important to us.

Do you think KB Homes is a reputable builder? We know Vance (David) Crabtree builders built the home in Laurel Glen and we've heard some complaints about the quality of he homes, from electrical to heating problems. Whats KB's reputation like?

Thanks !!!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM

30 posts, read 110,179 times
Default Chastain and Battle ridge

okay i gotta say that both subdivisions are really nice and very peaceful. But the thing about chastain is that its so huge so good luck trying find your way through it.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM

10,190 posts, read 16,522,526 times
And I STILL have that same listing!!!

Vicki

Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 PM

20 posts, read 60,723 times
Default Also looking at Battle Ridge...

My husband and I are also looking at Battle Ridge and I have to say that I would love more information on the area. We just want to know if others think that purchasing a home in this area will be a good choice and if the area is a decent place to raise children.

In regards to schools:
We moved to Raleigh a few weeks ago and I am a teacher at a local high school. After speaking with my fellow colleagues, I realized that where you live has no bearing on where your children go to school. I was told that an extremely large amount busing occurs within the county due to overcrowding and desegregation.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,558,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaFan View Post
My husband and I are also looking at Battle Ridge and I have to say that I would love more information on the area. We just want to know if others think that purchasing a home in this area will be a good choice and if the area is a decent place to raise children.

In regards to schools:
We moved to Raleigh a few weeks ago and I am a teacher at a local high school. After speaking with my fellow colleagues, I realized that where you live has no bearing on where your children go to school. I was told that an extremely large amount busing occurs within the county due to overcrowding and desegregation.
That's not quite true. They do move kids around due to overcrowding and as new schools come online...but Wake county does not bus kids for 'desegregation' but to keep the family economics (as a percentage of families that receive free or reduced lunches) of any given school in balance.

If your colleagues are calling this 'desegregation' then I am rather appalled to be honest. They should know better. Poor is poor....it isn't a race. The SCOTUS currently is looking at the Wake County model as a far bases system not based on race.

They should know better and the kids are going to be from the general area since the schools also have a maximum amount of time a student can be on a bus....you won't have kids from Cary being brought to Wakefield or vice versa. (Magnet school students can have longer bus rides.)

Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Default sorry....did not mean colleagues

OOPS, that is why you should check your post...let me say that I have not heard the term "desegregation" from fellow teachers at my school, but from individuals in my apartment complex. (I have the luck of working at a school with liberal thinking teachers who would never use racial basis for something like that) I thought that their desegregation terminology seemed quite archaic, but since I am new to the area, I just thought that this was still an unfortunate issue.
Funny, after the chick in the leasing office said that, I should have thought twice about our complex choice.....
From another point of view, I do understand that there are still some racial tensions in the Raleigh area. My husband and I are in an inter-racial couple and we want to live in a community where we will be comfortable and meet some nice neighbors. From what I have seen, Battle Ridge seems to be quite diverse, which is a big plus for us. I just want to know if the area is going to grow and if our home price will go up, making it a worthwhile investment for us.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Distance

I forgot to ask... In regards to our commutes to work... How long would it take to get to Apex and Chapel Hill from Battle Ridge?

Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM

232 posts, read 560,999 times
I work in that neighborhood, on New Hope Rd. In the last year there have been several shootings, carjackings at the gas stations and a prostitute ring broken up at a house on Poole Rd. That side of town can't be "up & coming" fast enough for me. I no longer stop at those gas stations at the intersection of New Hope Rd. & Poole Rd., or go to the Food Lion shopping center. I try to head out towards New Bern Ave, and the new shopping centers just up the road towards Knightdale on 64. There is a new elementary school & fire station on Barwell Rd. that I believe serve those communities.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 AM

298 posts, read 727,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaFan View Post
I forgot to ask... In regards to our commutes to work... How long would it take to get to Apex and Chapel Hill from Battle Ridge?
When my wife and I looked at BR, we figured it would be 45-50 minutes to Chapel Hill. She works at UNC, and that was too long of a drive for her. We ended up buying a house in Ravenstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary