Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 05:47 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

We have three medium size (50 pounds or so) dogs and I'm weary of letting them in and out constantly. Have checked out dog doors but not sure which would be the sturdiest over the long run. Also, as the opening will go through brick, we need a professional to install it.

Would appreciate any guidance here on how to go about this project. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM

156 posts, read 304,948 times
You may have already considered and dismissed this option but if not, google the Bug Off Instant Screen Door. It's a low-cost solution. The screen installs with a tension rod and magneticallysnaps shut after the dog goes through it. We've had the same screen for 4 or 5 years now and it's held up beautifully. My large English Setter took about 3 minutes to get used to it and he zips and in out of the house now. Since we're up in the Northeast, we have to uninstall it during the cold weather.

Last edited by SulfurDog; 06-23-2012 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: additional content

Old 06-23-2012, 07:17 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,280 times
I have bought a couple of the "pet safe" brand and they have worked-out great. The first was a patio door one --- real easy to install and durable. When we moved we no longer had a sliding glass door, so I bought one to install in the wood door that leads to the yard. It was also easy to install and is also durable. One thing I will say for sure, our dog loves it! It's great for him and great for us. I wish I could give you advice about installing into brick, but I would have to agree that if that were my only option I'd also have hired someone to do it. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Just curious as to why you want to install the door in brick veneer wall? Is there no other option such as a rear entry door or possibly a different exterior wall that has siding? That's going to be a heck of a job (translation: expensive) to install a dog door through an exterior brick veneer wall. I would start calling home repair companies to get quotes. I can recommend Steve's home restorations.

Steve's Home Restoration, LLC Business Review in Wake Forest, NC - Eastern North Carolina BBB

Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just curious as to why you want to install the door in brick veneer wall? Is there no other option such as a rear entry door or possibly a different exterior wall that has siding?
Alas, no. Both doors leading to our fenced backyard are glass French doors. Which, by the way, I have come to dislike because apparently there is no way to combine a screen door with them and we've tried the hanging screen door from BB&B and that didn't work out well as the magnetic closures kept falling off.

Cutting through the brick veneer seems easier than cutting through the glass on the doors. And there is no part of our home's exterior that does not have brick.

Thanks for the recommendation for Steve's Home Restoration. Will call them on Monday.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Doggie doors are VERY popular in phoenix, where we just relocated from. The biggest and most reputable company / manufacturer there is Hale. They sell their products all over the country and I would suggest contacting them for a local installation referral.

Hale Pet Doors for Walls America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary