Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 AM

376 posts, read 1,059,745 times

Advertisements

My daughter is graduating from middle school this week and I wondered if there's anything traditional that I should have for her there... Like bouquet of flowers or something? Wasn't sure what the local traditions were. For example, in So. California schools it's traditional for graduating kids to wear Hawaiian leis. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,133,956 times
Some people give their kids flowers but I don't remember anything I would consider a tradition. My parents brought me out to a dinner at my favorite restaurant after.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,177,371 times
You'll see lots of kids that get flowers. Sometimes there will be someone at the school, selling them, if you forget. But, that may be more high school than middle school.

Vicki

Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,584,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You'll see lots of kids that get flowers. Sometimes there will be someone at the school, selling them, if you forget. But, that may be more high school than middle school.

Vicki
That's probably because you don't graduate from middle school, you graduate from high school.

Definition of GRADUATION

: a mark on an instrument or vessel indicating degrees or quantity; also : these marks
a : the award or acceptance of an academic degree or diploma

You don't receive a degree for passing the 8th grade, so nobody "graduates" middle school.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,133,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
You don't receive a degree for passing the 8th grade, so nobody "graduates" middle school.
That doesn't stop kindergartens from having graduations I've heard of private middle schools having graduations.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,884,454 times
Really, we're going to bicker over word definitions now? Do need need to go back to the root meanings of "graduate" to determine whether a demarcation between one set of two points qualifies as and another doesn't?

Or can we just simply accept a common usage of the term, and recongize a simple, happy little event marking a child's passage from one stage to the next? Are schools and families not allowed to mark the occasion and celebrate, because the dictionary doesn't say they can?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Adsgrad·u·ate   /n., adj. ˈgrædʒuɪt, -ˌeɪt; v. ˈgrædʒuˌeɪt/ Show Spelled [n., adj. graj-oo-it, -eyt; v. graj-oo-eyt] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, grad·u·at·ed, grad·u·at·ing.
noun
1. a person who has received a degree or diploma on completing a course of study, as in a university, college, or school.

I know kids that have GRADUATED from kindergarten!!!

Vicki

Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Adsgrad·u·ate   /n., adj. ˈgrædʒuɪt, -ˌeɪt; v. ˈgrædʒuˌeɪt/ Show Spelled [n., adj. graj-oo-it, -eyt; v. graj-oo-eyt] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, grad·u·at·ed, grad·u·at·ing.
noun
1. a person who has received a degree or diploma on completing a course of study, as in a university, college, or school.

I know kids that have GRADUATED from kindergarten!!!

Vicki

Yes, middle schoolers DO complete a course of study from a school!

Vicki

Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 16 days ago)

43,160 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
That's probably because you don't graduate from middle school, you graduate from high school.

Definition of GRADUATION

: a mark on an instrument or vessel indicating degrees or quantity; also : these marks
a : the award or acceptance of an academic degree or diploma

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Some people give their kids flowers but I don't remember anything I would consider a tradition. My parents brought me out to a dinner at my favorite restaurant after.
I would never open a dictionary just to rationalize denying a 13 year (14?) old a special dinner with her parents at her favorite restaurant.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 PM

814 posts, read 2,002,842 times
My oldest graduated from middle school in Wake County two weeks ago. They had a big party, etc. etc. at school, but no "graduation". So, I sent in the donation asked for for pizza and ice cream, and bought her a year book, and that was about the extent of my recognition.

We did go out to dinner to mark the end of all three kids school, as always, but nothing special. Although I have not looked it up in the dictionary, I didn't see others making a big deal about it either...as there was no "ceremony" at which to give flowers or anything...only the party. Is her school having a ceremony...with certificates or something, at which flowers or something else would be appropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary