U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 12:13 PM

149 posts, read 454,216 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are set to close tomorrow (September 28th) on a new townhouse in the twin lakes community in Cary. The counter tops in the kitchen around the sink have gaps in the seams. We pointed this out to the superintendent during our walk through. We asked him to fix it. Yesterday we were told the seams had been fixed and we went over to check them out. They are now uneven.

We told our agent we would go ahead with closing tomorrow and hold 2000 in escrow until the counter tops were replaced. Our agent said KB wouldn't agree to that. So our only option is to delay closing. My fear comes in that the contract states KB could charge us 150 a day for each day we delay closing. What should I do? I don't want poor counter top near the sink (water damage, etc.) but I don't want to be charged 150 a day either.

Should I tell the seller we want to delay closing and get something in writing that they won't charge us 150 a day penalty? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

32 posts, read 104,021 times
I live at Bedford @ Twin Lakes, and warranty is pretty bad..Make sure you get it taken care of, because you won't see any service for many months. Other then warranty, it is a great place to live. Each home is unique and it takes me 20 min to get to every part of the triangle. Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 44,821 times
Default KB Home Issue

My understanding is that KB has you sign a 100% satisfaction document prior to closing. They won't let you close w/o you being satisfied & having everything complete. If the counter is not to your satisfaction, I'd make them fix it prior to closing.

The contract does state they can charge $150/day. In my experience these builders only do this in extreme circumstances. They delay in closing is their fault not yours.

Hope this helps & good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 22,879,366 times
If you are using a lawyer, let them escrow the cost of repair. If not, might be a good time to involve an attorney.

Did you check directly with the builder? Agent may just want the deal done now and not be acting in your best interest.

Don't close with outstanding punch list and no escrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or