Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM

326 posts, read 681,960 times

Advertisements

I realize the answer is "sure, people have been at some point..." but I mean more recently? My husband and I live in MD and are federal employees. He has made several of the lists to be interviewed but than never receives "the call". I'm wondering if it's because his address is a MD one? We're not yet to the point where it's become an extreme case but I was just curious if anyone could offer any feedback regarding this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
I realize the answer is "sure, people have been at some point..." but I mean more recently? My husband and I live in MD and are federal employees. He has made several of the lists to be interviewed but than never receives "the call". I'm wondering if it's because his address is a MD one? We're not yet to the point where it's become an extreme case but I was just curious if anyone could offer any feedback regarding this.

Thanks!
My husband was hired 7yrs ago as a non-resident and he has gone on to hire 5 others that were not residents as well, 2 of those in the last 6 months

The relocation package has changed drastically however. We had full relo with him having travel expenses to and from our old location until we sold our old house. They paid to sell our house, move us down here, paid for an apartment..etc.

Now his company is only offering a lump sum for relo depending on where in the country you are moving from.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My BIL was hired into a teaching position at a private school while residing in a different state. This was a couple of years ago.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I think it depends on how scarce and desirable your job skill is.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
I don't think you can compare anything greater than 3 or 4 years ago to today. Lots of North Carolinians out of work, what incentive is there for a company to plan around interviewing/hiring from out of state?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I was hired while living in New Orleans by a Raleigh bank in 1989 with full relo.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
You should think about it from the typical hiring manager's position. He or she has a job to fill - usually sooner (now) rather than later. For many positions, there are an excess of qualified candidates - it's a buyer's market. Given that the hiring manager can choose a qualified local candidate who is likely almost immediately available (i.e, within 2-3 weeks max.), why would he or she choose someone who may need time to relocate before starting? (And by the way, I've seen more than a few relocations fall apart - such that the candidate never arrived, leaving the hiring manager in a lurch.) That's the challenge you're up against.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Two years ago my husband was hired while we were still living in New England.

That said, he was unemployed, so we made time to come down so he could have a final face-to-face interview & we could check out the area & a few houses.
He was able to move into a temporary appt. & start 3 weeks after he was offered the job.
My guess is had we not had the flexibility to do those things he wouldn't have gotten the job.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
Yes, 18 months ago though.... from PA. It was the only offer after a year of unemployment. Many, many interviews- most out of state, but yea. We got the offer here. Thankfully.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You should think about it from the typical hiring manager's position. He or she has a job to fill - usually sooner (now) rather than later. For many positions, there are an excess of qualified candidates - it's a buyer's market. Given that the hiring manager can choose a qualified local candidate who is likely almost immediately available (i.e, within 2-3 weeks max.), why would he or she choose someone who may need time to relocate before starting? (And by the way, I've seen more than a few relocations fall apart - such that the candidate never arrived, leaving the hiring manager in a lurch.) That's the challenge you're up against.
Having a son in the industry, you have given one of the best answers on the topic. It is supply demand driven and if you and your skill set are unique enough you will get consideration. If not you are on spot. I double checked with him and if this area is known for your skill set your chances are minimal as there is already talent here. Specific companies have their own policies and some will and some won't hire out of town candidates. A person could be applying to a company that by policy doesn't and not applying to one that does. He said the areas with the greated probabilty of being hired while living elsewhere are professional and technical with demand being determined by local supply and the quality of that local market. If this isn't a strong area for a skill set and are coming from one with a reputation for you have a much better chance. Hmmmm an experienced software programmer with top secret clearance and currently working on a secured job in Northern Virginia with a current set of job skills just might be in the money.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-02-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary