U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

I have checked out several threads and most of them are outdated. I am moving to NC and will be working in the 27712 area.

I need to find a 1-bedroom apartment in a safe area. I am willing to pay anywhere between $650-$800/month. I would like a gated community and am obviously on a budget. So, if any utilities/extras such as internet or a washer/dryer are included, I'm definitely interested. I would only like to drive 15-30 mins to work. My main priority is safety since I'm a single female.

If anyone has any suggestions on which apartments and areas would meed my needs above, please let me know. I've heard that SE Durham is a bit sketchy and so is north of Durham. So far, I am interested in the following apartments: Woodstone, Pinnacle Ridge, and North Pointe. If anyone has any feedback on these, let me know as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM

142 posts, read 301,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGirl405 View Post
My main priority is safety since I'm a single female.
This is the South. Law abiding citizens are permitted to own firearms.

A friend of mine was raped. Now she carries a handgun, which she has already had to use to scare off a would be home intruder. Remember, by the time police get there, it will be too late to do anything more than take a report.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM

921 posts, read 1,153,977 times
Can't spreak to the specific places your question addresses, but I do know that there is an area near Guess Road and Horton called Peppertree that may suit you...its not gated, but its near groceries, drugstore...that sort of thing. It appears to be mostly townhome style places, but the sign by the road mentions apartments...
There is also a very large complex at Horton and Guess Road called Wooddaile ( not sure of spelling)...it seems well kept and is super convenient for groceries and such, but not a thing for entertainment. I don't really know anything about it from experience, but you could research it on the crime maps somewhere I'm sure.
The areas that are close to the Duke Campuses seem to stay pretty safe- lots of single gals live down in Trinity Heights and Old West Durham and seem to do just fine. As with any place, you need to be mindful of what's about you, but those sections of "Old Town" seem to have a pretty stable situation where folks are not too concerned about being out and about at night; our son lives and works down there with no car and has had no issues since he moved there about 9 months ago. Being single, you would probably feel less isolated where there is some entertainment potential, such as the above areas; it gets pretty boring out here in the north county even for old folk like me, and it just drives the kids crazy when the visit us.
It takes about 15-20 minutes for me ( cautious, slow, old) to make the drive from Durham Tech's facility on Snow Hill to Brightleaf Square, to give you a feel for drive time.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM

242 posts, read 337,557 times
Well.......Mebane is close to your target area, a small town with a disproportionately large town Library and a friendly coffee shop. During warm weather and holidays, the town throws a block party and......(this is a BIG "and") Mebane has the best Mexican Restaurant anywhere close by and far better than those at distance as well. I spent years of my life working overseas and out of country and speak Spanish fairly well. My Mother, who was well versed in Spanish and Mexican food was truly surprised at a first rate Mexican place in such a small town. Easy access to Interstate Highways, no fewer than six Universities within a 60 mile radius. It's worth a look at. OOPS-----almost forgot, it is pronounced (MEH- bin) not (me BANE).

Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,950,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Well.......Mebane is close to your target area, a small town with a disproportionately large town Library and a friendly coffee shop. During warm weather and holidays, the town throws a block party and......(this is a BIG "and") Mebane has the best Mexican Restaurant anywhere close by and far better than those at distance as well. I spent years of my life working overseas and out of country and speak Spanish fairly well. My Mother, who was well versed in Spanish and Mexican food was truly surprised at a first rate Mexican place in such a small town. Easy access to Interstate Highways, no fewer than six Universities within a 60 mile radius. It's worth a look at. OOPS-----almost forgot, it is pronounced (MEH- bin) not (me BANE).
Mebane might be a very attractive exurb, but there are plenty of things one won't get living out there. For one thing, a short commute -- it's 20-30 miles from Durham, depending on where you're going. I-40/85 is a mess with interstate traffic mixed with commuters. The traffic by the new outlets is god-awful. And there is a much greater density of local businesses, restaurants, and attractions in Durham (or Raleigh, or Chapel Hill) than Mebane.

Might be great for what it is, but good lord, you'd have to relocate me there at gunpoint!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

246 posts, read 702,576 times
Quote:
Hi All!

I have checked out several threads and most of them are outdated. I am moving to NC and will be working in the 27712 area.

I need to find a 1-bedroom apartment in a safe area. I am willing to pay anywhere between $650-$800/month. I would like a gated community and am obviously on a budget. So, if any utilities/extras such as internet or a washer/dryer are included, I'm definitely interested. I would only like to drive 15-30 mins to work. My main priority is safety since I'm a single female.

If anyone has any suggestions on which apartments and areas would meed my needs above, please let me know. I've heard that SE Durham is a bit sketchy and so is north of Durham. So far, I am interested in the following apartments: Woodstone, Pinnacle Ridge, and North Pointe. If anyone has any feedback on these, let me know as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't know Durham very well other than the area around Southpoint mall which is nice and seems safe enough. There's a place called Bell at Southpoint you may want to check out. Maybe you could clarify "safety". If you are worried about being assaulted well I think that's not very likely to happen in that part of town, but if you're worried about having your car broken into, well that can happen anywhere.

I think gated communities give a false sense of security because most of the time the gates either don't work or are so slow that multiple cars could piggyback behind you with no problem. In fact, taking the time to stop, open your window, and swipe your access card is probably less safe than just driving directly to your door.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM

499 posts, read 791,798 times
Quote:
So far, I am interested in the following apartments: Woodstone, Pinnacle Ridge, and North Pointe. If anyone has any feedback on these, let me know as well.
We live in the 27712 zip (right off Latta Rd) & love the area.
I would say Woodstone is probably good - I don't know the appartments, but looking at the area it is in, I'd say you are good.

North Pointe, meh. I just personally don't have a great feel about that area.
This is just my personal opinion, but that area just around the mall & North Point feels a little iffy too me. Also the area near Horton Road & South on Roxboro Road makes me slightly nervous too.
When I say that, I shop there & go to the mall and during the day have no qualms about driving around or doing business in the area. I'm just not sure I'd want to be there late at night & if I lived there I'd feel more likely to be worried about a break in or something.

But once you get north of Rt 85 a bit (up towards Carver/Horton) and points north it is a great area & any of those neighborhoods would be good.

You could also consider a house rental. I know our neighborhood & others in the area often have little houses for rent. In a neighborhood where there is a watch group, people who know their neighbors, and maybe only two or three ways in/out of the neighborhood it is pretty safe. No idea how the prices fall compared to what you want but may be another option for you.

Pinnacle Ridge is where my husband stayed before I sold the house & moved to NC. He was there three months. Clean, safe and not too far from downtown Durham. Depending on where you are working & how you hit the lights/school busses probably a 20-ish minute drive for you to work. They had laundry on sight (coin operated) a pool, free wi-fi on the deck by the pool, tennis courts and plenty of parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Well.......Mebane is close to your target area
Mebane is nice but probably not in the 15 to 30 minute drive NCGirl405 was looking for. I have a co-worker who lives in Mebane & it takes her a good 45 minutes to get to work (Downtown Durham).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
Don't know Durham very well other than the area around Southpoint mall which is nice and seems safe enough. There's a place called Bell at Southpoint you may want to check out.
From our house we usually plan on 20 to 30 minutes for a drive over to Southpoint mall, which fits the criteria. The area is nice, but very 'cookie cutter-ish'. You will find appartments, shopping and restaurants in very compact areas. Just watch, I know not all areas have good sidewalks. If you plan on doing walking make sure you can.
Other thing to watch for is route 40. I know traffic on the highway can be miserable some rush hours. Depending on where you are & how you drive to work, that could impact your driving time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary