Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times

Advertisements

I've never understood the pizza wars.

Maybe it's because I'm Southern.

Pizza is either cooked well or it's not. I either like the taste of the sauce, crust, and toppings, or I don't.

It's pizza, not BBQ (the noun, not the verb)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I had a pizza last month that while I've never been to Italy, it is what I would imagine it to be like from what I've read and heard from people. I'm Italian, I'm from NY, and I actually uttered the words "This is the best pizza I've ever had." Apparently the chef is from Switzerland, which is not too far from Italy, he trained there.

Mia Francesca-Raleigh Restaurant - Raleigh, NC | OpenTable

Also I really like Milton's in Wakefield.

I think Randy's is tasteless, as is most of the pizza people claim to love here.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Pizza is either cooked well or it's not. I either like the taste of the sauce, crust, and toppings, or I don't.

It is because you are southern!
Otherwise, you would understand that pizza to people from the Northeast is viewed just like BBQ is to Southerners.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
This is ridiculous. It's "not pizza"? Seriously, it might not be the type of pizza you prefer, but it is certainly pizza. No, it's not neapolitan style, but neither are a lot of types of pizza, many of which are quite good.
Well, sorry to offend. I was under the impression that Neapolitan was what the OP was looking for.
Look, Domino's is called pizza as well, but any true Northerner laughs at that notion.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Look, Domino's is called pizza as well, but any true Northerner laughs at that notion.
Well sure, but it isn't like there aren't tons of Domino's and Papa John's up in New York and NJ too. Somehow they manage to stay open (and no, it isn't just transplants eating at those places) so I guess even some "true Northeners" wouldn't know a good pizza if it smacked them in the face.

There are also plenty of sub-par to downright bad pizza joints in NY & NJ too. Being from "up north" doesn't qualify anybody as a pizza expert.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well sure, but it isn't like there aren't tons of Domino's and Papa John's up in New York and NJ too. Somehow they manage to stay open (and no, it isn't just transplants eating at those places) so I guess even some "true Northeners" wouldn't know a good pizza if it smacked them in the face.

There are also plenty of sub-par to downright bad pizza joints in NY & NJ too. Being from "up north" doesn't qualify anybody as a pizza expert.
NRG, maybe I should have qualified my statement and not written "any true Northerner".

Look, I know natives get their panties in a wad when a transplant talks about what they miss about home. But, the fact is that the Triangle is missing many things that many northern transplants are used to having at their fingertips. It doesn't mean that they don't enjoy living here or that they have not adapted.

Same would happen if a Southerner moved North. They might learn to love living there, but would certainly miss many things about where they grew up.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 AM

149 posts, read 197,009 times
Quote:

Unless it's BBQ chicken pizza which is my fav.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:

haha you know I'm from NJ originally and I don't get it either. Pizza is one of those foods that seems to adapt with ease to whatever area it's in and still taste good. When I visited South Korea I had a pizza that had sweet potatoes and shrimp on it. An odd combination but it still tasted pretty good. The nice thing about this area is that you have all different sorts of pizza being served and you're not forced into getting just one type. I'm still waiting for the day an Indian pizza shop opens up in Morrisville

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It is because you are southern!
Otherwise, you would understand that pizza to people from the Northeast is viewed just like BBQ is to Southerners.
It must suck to move here, then. Pizza wise, I mean.

I still shudder every time I think of the red stuff they tried to pass off as BBQ when I lived in the Chicago 'burbs.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
Unless it's BBQ chicken pizza which is my fav.
I love it, too. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary