Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 51,245 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband and I and my 13yr old daughter are wanting to move to, the Garner area. As of now we are looking for a diverse area with a great diverse middle school. I am currently aware of the situation WCPSS and what is happening there. As far as housing we are looking to rent a house in a older diverse neighborhood, anywhere between $850.00-$950.00 a month. As far as JOBS I am looking for Medical billing/Customer service... My husband is looking for anything in Maintenance field. Any feedback is greatly
appreciated...Thank you.....

Last edited by flgirl46; 07-08-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl46 View Post
Hello All,

My husband and I and my 13yr old daughter are wanting to move to, the Garner,Cary area. As of now we are looking for a diverse area with a great diverse middle school. I am currently aware of the situation WCPSS and what is happening there. As far as housing we are looking to rent a house in a older diverse neighborhood, anywhere between $850.00-$950.00 a month. As far as JOBS I am looking for Medical billing/Customer service... My husband is looking for anything in Maintenance field. Any feedback is greatly
appreciated...Thank you.....
The "Garner,Cary area"?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
The "Garner,Cary area"?
Parts of their boundaries are just a few miles apart.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 AM

149 posts, read 197,087 times
You should both have an easy time finding jobs in your fields. I see a lot of maintenance jobs listed every day and medical/customer service should be easy. Pay may be an issue depending on what level you are interested in. $12-$16 an hour seems to be the going rate for what I see coming available in maintenance.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 PM

26 posts, read 51,245 times
LOL that is a little more than what I am making now...Thanks. We have never been to NC.. Only see PIC'S on line/google map we just look in general and search around, not really interested in the cookie cutter/ gated community types of neighborhoods. We like the tree lined streets feel where you might see the kids playing outside lol and we can get to know our neighbors. Any suggestions in Garner anyone can recommend, that might be like that.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgirl46 View Post
LOL that is a little more than what I am making now...Thanks. We have never been to NC.. Only see PIC'S on line/google map we just look in general and search around, not really interested in the cookie cutter/ gated community types of neighborhoods. We like the tree lined streets feel where you might see the kids playing outside lol and we can get to know our neighbors. Any suggestions in Garner anyone can recommend, that might be like that.
For 850-950 a month I think it's safe to assure you that you won't need to worry about avoiding gated communities.

Why this area if you've never been?

It's suburbia. I hate the term "cookie cutter," but if you're looking for highly unique rental housing in family neighborhoods with lots of kids for less than 1000 bucks a month in Cary, it's not impossible to find, but it's also not typical, either.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,954 times
Please don't move Florida to North Carolina. We moved here to get away from Florida, and seeing it looming on the horizon would just be depressing.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
You also might consider the changes in weather from Florida. I grew up in south Florida and moved here in 2000. My sister moved here for a short time in 2009 when the market fell in FL. She's in the mortgage business and was in an area that was hit very hard. Anyway, she lasted about 3 months. She moved here in October and left by Jan 1st. Couldn't take the cold and rain at that time of year. When it rains here it can last for weeks, unlike Florida when you get afternoon showers that clear out and the sun comes back out.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,956 times
Please come visit and don't make a decision based off of pictures! I would say with your jobs/incomes, Garner might be a better fit as it's more middle class. And I don't say that with any negativity as my husband and I just bought a house there .

Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,833 times
Yes flgirl, that is a huge move to make based on pictures. Having lived in both states ( more than once for each!) I can assure you that the culture shock alone could kill your enthusiasm.
Depending on your current location in FL, this could be very different than what you are used to, and unless you are totally committed to embracing the new culture you will be miserable...especially if you are coming from one of the more urban cities. If you are from a "college town" it may be easier, depending on which one ...Miami not so much, but Tallahassee maybe, for example.
Come visit several times, at different times of year and for longer than just a long weekend if you can manage it. And if you can work it into the schedule, visit places like church ( whatever your denomination), the grocery store and the small locals' restaurants to get a feel for what life in NC is really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary