Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times

Advertisements

See the Food Lion in Creedmoor is very nice and clean, extremely helpful staff in my opinion. but!! That does not make me want to buy meat there or other things such as milk, Food lion just has and had too many oopsys for my comfort, and I do not find the quality of certain items to be worth their asking price, no matter how cheap it is being advertised for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
No, it's not an NC thing...as Harris Teeter is also headquartered here and they are some of the cleanest stores I've ever seen.

There are chains up North that are the pits as well.
Moreover, Food Lion is a subsidiary of Delhaize which is headquartered in Belgium while Harris Teeter is based in Matthews and The Fresh Market is headquartered in Greensboro.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
For unusual things, and healthy alternatives, I like Fresh Market and Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I offset the $$$ of items by purchasing staples and non-perishables elsewhere.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 PM

19 posts, read 74,488 times
Food Lion is excellent when compared to any other store. Walmart would beat Food Lion hands-down with groceries if they were closer to our home. Thank to Lord that atleast one grocery chain is affordable.
I went to Lowes Food a few nights ago and came out with four bags that cost $28. They were simple items. Lowes offers twice as much as Food Lion. However, for the average blue collar working family, Food Lion is the only option, majority of the time.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
The only place I could think of that would be worse than Food Lion for groceries is Wal-Mart. You couldn't pay me to go in that store.

We shop at Lowes Foods in Knightdale every week, and have since the day they opened. Prior to that, our choices were Winn-Dixie (ick) or Food Lion (double-ick). WD was always out of items they advertised on sale, even the first day of the sale. They always had insufficient stock of at least five things on my list every week, and never more than two cashiers open at a time - one of them being the express lane.

Both stores always seem so dirty, I felt like I needed to bathe when I left.

We didn't notice much difference at all in our grocery bills when we started shopping at Lowes. Maybe $5 or so - and it's so worth it to shop in a clean store with friendly people. The employees are always friendly and make small talk, and willing to help. The quality of the food is excellent, and there are many organic choices available.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:29 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I think Food Lion is fine, it just depends on where you live I guess and I don't mean that wealthy areas have nicer stores. SOme are decent, some are not. Both of the FL's by me in Cary are totally gross, but I have been in several that are quite nice. Someone mentioned the one on Creedmoor and I used to shop there all the time, it is a pretty nice store. Also the one off 70 near Target is decent. I used to shop there all the time too.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:12 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think Food Lion is fine, it just depends on where you live I guess and I don't mean that wealthy areas have nicer stores. SOme are decent, some are not. Both of the FL's by me in Cary are totally gross, but I have been in several that are quite nice. Someone mentioned the one on Creedmoor and I used to shop there all the time, it is a pretty nice store. Also the one off 70 near Target is decent. I used to shop there all the time too.
The FL on NC-54 is nasty. It's in a nice area but I am totally not impressed. I am sorry that the 4 bags of groceries at Lowes cost $28, but I don't know if that is a lot or not a lot (really depends on what you bought). If you shop sale items, you can get good deals at any of the chain markets, so I don't think that FL is any cheaper than Lowes or Harris Teeter.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulperson View Post
Food Lion is excellent when compared to any other store. Walmart would beat Food Lion hands-down with groceries if they were closer to our home. Thank to Lord that atleast one grocery chain is affordable.
I went to Lowes Food a few nights ago and came out with four bags that cost $28. They were simple items. Lowes offers twice as much as Food Lion. However, for the average blue collar working family, Food Lion is the only option, majority of the time.
I really doubt that. I don't find the prices there that great. If one shops carefully, you don't have to accept sub-standard meat and produce because one doesn't have budget flexiblity.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
I was very anti Food Lion before I moved here because all the ones I'd ever been in in Virginia were kind of run down and it was very hard to find anything even vaguely unusual (though one time they didn't even have parsley). But the Food Lion by Woodcroft in Durham is very clean with extremely polite, helpful staff, and great kiddie carts, and we've enjoyed shopping there. They also have a great bakery and very juicy rotisserie chickens.

I also go to Kroger or Harris Teeter depending on my mood or location at the time I decide to grocery shop I've always considered Harris Teeters the cream of the crop but was disappointed by the produce in a Chapel Hill HT I went to (on 54). I love the one on 54 in SW Durham though

As for milk spoiling early, I don't think any would ever survive in my fridge long enough for me to notice But will definitely check b/c I have some FL ones in the fridge.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 AM

584 posts, read 2,422,692 times
I'll be one of the few who admits to shopping regularly at Food Lion. Some of the stores are older, but I've never seen any of them filthy. Unless I need an exotic ingredient of some kind, I'm just not going to pay an extra 25% so I can have free sugar cookies and access to a pharmacy.

I drink their milk and eat their meat and never gotten sick or had something weird. Frankly, few cashiers at any place are all that nice and again, if I can save 25%, I don't care if they even speak to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary