U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,044,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There are bugs aplenty here.
yep. might want to come stay for a bit to make sure you like it before completely relocating from the other coast.

if you want to borrow our pet black widow spider (her name is lileth), we'd loan her out. she's a great listener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

10,378 posts, read 17,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I find that the snakes tend to do a decent job keeping the insect population under control.
According to my home inspector, it is a good idea to have the black snake...he keeps the rats away!!! He told us that after finding one in a crawl space that he was inspecting. My buyers were happy! Go figure!

According to clients I've had from Calif., we have tons more bugs than they ever saw. They had never seen lightening bugs until they moved here.

If you really do have that fear of bugs, in all seriousness, you may want to have a visit before you settle down.

Vicki

Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM

23,807 posts, read 19,628,534 times
I was in another forum today and a Wasp was thinking of relocating to the Triangle and wanted to know if there were a lot of humans here. The response were pretty much all the same that there is a decent human population here but the bugs had it fully under their control and not to worry. A number recommended Mosquito Terminators as being a good company to have treat their nest to keep humans away.

Last edited by TuborgP; 07-10-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 02:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,025,479 times
There are more bugs than people. But you can keep your living space almost bug free. We live 30 feet from a pond and only see an occasional wood roach or spider. I spray the window sills and door ways down with raid every month or so. It seems to keep out most bugs.
Outside is another story.....

Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM

10,378 posts, read 17,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I was in another forum today and a Wasp was thinking of relocating to the Triangle and wanted to know if there were a lot of humans here. The response were pretty much all the same that there is a decent human population here but the bugs had it fully under their control and not to worry. A numer recommended Mosquito Terminators as being a good company to have treat their nest to keep humans away.
I wonder how easy it is for bugs to get jobs?!!

Were the spiders and bees being less friendly because the wasp wanted to relocate???

Vicki

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM

23,807 posts, read 19,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I wonder how easy it is for bugs to get jobs?!!

Were the spiders and bees being less friendly because the wasp wanted to relocate???

Vicki
Priceless!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:40 PM

141 posts, read 182,623 times
We had a ton of Black Widow spiders in our garage, and giant wolf spiders in our backyard. Really, the Black Widows are a very pretty spider Not to mention the ants in the kitchen EVERY SPRING no matter what we did to eradicate them. Oh, I almost forgot about the fire ant mounds in the yard.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM

68 posts, read 48,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Or maybe a move to Alaska.
I hear Alaska has some giant misquetos (sp)

Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM

7,440 posts, read 14,550,293 times
O hail yes!!!!
Bugs galore!
But you just learn to live with 'em after a while!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM

3,816 posts, read 2,794,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masha-kakasha View Post
well, maybe not under. but btwn 200k and 300k.

this one is $224,900

15 Abbey Rd, Chapel Hill
masha, that house is in Chatham county. It has a Chapel Hill address, but is not IN Chapel Hill. (It's out in Chatham just past Starpoint for anyone else interested.) Whole different school system which is a big deal to families with kids, and consequently a lower price. You could get an older home (like 1960s or 70s era) for around $200k in town, but not a new home.

On bugs— yesterday I was cleaning out the garage (job I've been putting off for about a year) and lost count of the spiders (including a black widow) and roaches I found. Also had a palmetto bug (huge big roaches as big as your thumb) in the kids' bedroom last night. They just crawl all around outside. I see 'em all over town in public spaces as well as on decks and porches, etc. They don't usually like to set up housekeeping inside, but an occasional one gets in during the summer.

Pretty much anywhere in the South will have a lot of bugs. You'd probably want to do some work on your fears before you really plan on moving here.

Oh, y'all, we forgot to tell her about the TICKS!! Lots of ticks in the woods here. Truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary